Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Drying Her Hands
kitkat 08:24 AM 03-04-2010
Dcg is 4 and will come out of the bathroom without drying her hands 95% of the time. She knows exactly what she's doing. I am so sick and tired of always telling her to go back and dry her hands. There is no reason why a 4 year old can't remember to dry her hands. This needs to end and quickly. Any ideas?
Persephone 09:15 AM 03-04-2010
Is the towel out of the way? Like the other side of the sink from the door?

My son will do the same thing. His stool is on this side of the sink next to the door and the towel rack is on the other side. So to dry he has to walk around the sink to dry. So he skips it most of the time.

So I put a small rack near the door so he can dry right there.
Daycare Mommy 09:57 AM 03-04-2010
I'd send her back in there to dry her hands and then as a consequence have her get another cloth and clean all the drips off of the sink and floor every time she does it.
momma2girls 10:24 AM 03-04-2010
What I do is have a washcloth right next to the soap, so they do remember to use it often.
jen 10:28 AM 03-04-2010
Here is it is a daycare rule to have single use towels (paper towels) or each child has to have their own hand towel. I do have one who does this too and I just keep sending her back. It is does get old quick...
melskids 11:04 AM 03-04-2010
this is totally just my opinion, but, to me, you have to choose your battles, and wouldnt be something i would stress over. at least she's washing her hands...lol
kitkat 11:25 AM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I'd send her back in there to dry her hands and then as a consequence have her get another cloth and clean all the drips off of the sink and floor every time she does it.
I love that idea! I did make her do that once before, so I don't know why I didn't think to continue it!

The towel has been where it has always been, right by the soap, so she's just either being lazy or testing me. I think it's a combination of the two. Her mom and I recently realized that she hasn't been testing a lot at home lately, but has been doing it here instead. Lucky me
tenderhearts 12:45 PM 03-04-2010
It will only take a couple times for her to figure it out after wiping up the drips off the floor. I had a 4 1/2 yr old dcb who always always always dropped both toilet seats every time he went to the bathroom, so I finally said next time you drop the toilet seat you need to open and close it 10 times gently, well it only took like 2 times and his mom said it's funny because at home he finally doesn't do that anymore and if he does she'll start hearing him count to 10, it worked
Former Teacher 03:50 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
this is totally just my opinion, but, to me, you have to choose your battles, and wouldnt be something i would stress over. at least she's washing her hands...lol
HAHAHAHA! I was thinking the EXACT same thing!
kitkat 05:38 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
Sorry, but I have to disagree. To me, washing AND drying your hands are all part of using the bathroom correctly. If I were to just let her go without drying her hands, what would she be learning about how to correctly use the bathroom? It's my job to make sure she learns the right way.
Daycare Mommy 05:52 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Sorry, but I have to disagree. To me, washing AND drying your hands are all part of using the bathroom correctly. If I were to just let her go without drying her hands, what would she be learning about how to correctly use the bathroom? It's my job to make sure she learns the right way.
Agreed. It's actually a licensing thing here. They have to dry their hands. If the girl does this during an inspection and I don't catch it. I'm written up on it.
melskids 06:23 AM 03-06-2010
Well, like i said, it was just my opinion.

my licensing regulations are not that strict, and its just one of those things i personally wouldnt let drive me crazy.

and its not that i wouldnt expect her to dry her hands, rather, it wouldnt upset me to have to keep reminding her to do it. some kids need to be told over and over, and again, JMO, even though repeating myself again and again is tiresome, thats just part of the job.
Tags:dry hands, wash hands
Reply Up