Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do Parents Really Think NO Nap Is OK??
lilcupcakes09 11:45 AM 07-24-2012
I just don't get how selfish these parents are! Your child has to get up at 530am each morning to be at my doorstep at 630 sharp so you can have enough time to stop and pick up your breakfast or coffee before you go to work, mind you not having gone to bed until sometimes 10-11 PM. But it's okay, they don't need any time to rest during the day! I'm an adult- I go to bed BY 9PM to be up at 6 ready for your children, and am still exhausted most days by noon! Sorry children need rest times, even if they are 5,6,7,8 years old!

Rant over
Country Kids 11:47 AM 07-24-2012
One of our centers was recently written up for children no resting/napping. I bet it was parents telling the kids they didn't have to so then it falls on the centers shoulders and being written up!
countrymom 11:49 AM 07-24-2012
this is one of those things that I just can't figure out. I need a nap myself.
Truly Scrumptious 12:03 PM 07-24-2012
I don't think parents really care....I think it's when the child goes home and complains, that the parent even says anything. Some parents just want everyone to be happy, so they can go to work stress free.
And the kids that complain about nap...I think it has more to do with rules than with napping. They don't like being told that they have to lay down.

In my experience, it's the child that complains the most about having to rest that will fall asleep the quickest.
cheerfuldom 12:19 PM 07-24-2012
People just want to do what is easiest for them. Allowing kids to stay up at all hours seems easier than doing the hard work of setting up structure and schedule in your home. What parents like this dont realize is that having a routine to the day IS better in the long run. They are not thinking about the big picture though, just the immediate of "I dont want my kid to cry about nap time", "I dont want to go home so they can nap at noon", etc.
pootmcgoot 12:23 PM 07-24-2012
Sometimes kids fuss about napping. They fight it. and I think parents let them not nap so they dont have to hear the fussing and whining. The power struggle is annoying but EVERYONE needs a nap here. Even me. I wish I had a mandated nap time. I'd be in heaven.

For me, sleep training my daughter was so hard when she was 8-9 months old. but after the first 3 months she was trained and had a schedule. I do not go off schedule for ANY reason (naps at 10 and 2 and in bed by 7:30 at the latest) because I worked so hard for her to be on routine. Now she needs it and asks for a nap if I go past schedule.

I am scared to put her in daycare because she really does need a nap at 10 and 2 for 2 hours a piece and most daycares have their own nap schedule. I tried condensing it into 1 nap at noon and that was a no go.

Anyhow, naps are GOOD! Sleep training is hard but teaching your kid sleep is good is such an undertaking but it pays off by the truck load as the baby gets older. That's one thing I did right with my DD.
itlw8 01:09 PM 07-24-2012
Everything you said made sence until you said 5,6,7,8 years old.

Sorry I do not think they need to nap. quiet time yes for 30 minutes.... an option to sleep if they are tired. but an afternoon nap for a school child nope.
Country Kids 01:11 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:

Sorry I do not think they need to nap. quiet time yes for 30 minutes.... an option to sleep if they are tired. but an afternoon nap for a school child nope.
The op said the kids are up at 5:30 and don't go to bed till 10:00-11:00. Even if they are school age they need some type of rest during the day.
Heidi 01:19 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:

I would agree...I would expect them to find a quiet spot and read, play their DS (the only time they would be allowed out...if they have one), or something for an hour. I only have one school ager now, and she gets the play room to herself. She can watch tv (but usually doesn't), play with any of the toys, play her ds, hold the hamster, borrow art supplies (normally in the dinning room), or whatever. When I had another school ager, they hung out together..as long as the giggling was kept to a minimum.

A real nap of more than 20 minutes would totally mess with an 8 year olds night sleep. If they are showing up at 6 am, I'd have them lay back down THEN. I'd set up a cozy spot in the livingroom, keep the curtains closed, turn on some reasonable cartoons, and give them blankets and pillows. Then I'd go sit somewhere else and drink my coffee... Make noise=TV OFF! At nap time, I'd still make them have quiet time, just not expect them to sleep....
SunshineMama 01:37 PM 07-24-2012
All of my kids nap, but they are all 4 and under.

I would have them lay quietly and read during quiet time every day. If they sleep, then they obviously needed it. If they don't fine, but everyone, no matter the age, needs to have a little bit of quiet alone time during the day to relax.
SilverSabre25 01:51 PM 07-24-2012
Rest times, yes. Naps, no. Heck I have a hard time getting through the day without a break and time to myself!

Are these parents resiting even the idea of some quiet time?
brookeroo 02:43 PM 07-24-2012
I think till about 5 or 6 they often need a nap. I think 7 or 8 they could do more of a quiet rest time...lay down and watch some tv or something... I don't think they necessarily need a nap at that age but I also don't think it will ruin their sleep anymore than it will ruin an adults. I know I could use a nap nearly everyday.

My son is almost 5. He takes a nap at preschool every day. If he's here with the other kids while I'm working he also takes one, but on the weekends he takes a nap if he wants to or I feel like he's getting cranky, or if he isn't listening real well. He does fine most of the time without one. He typically listens and behaves well so it hasn't been a problem. Every kid is different but I think it's fair to the provider to make him take a nap. They (we) need breaks too. Our kids are more work to other people usually than they are to us.
queenbee 05:14 PM 07-24-2012
Their age never really factors into naptime at my daycare.

I have two newly turned 7-year-olds and they nap consistantly each day. They are usually the first ones asleep, last ones awake, too. When my niece, age 10, visits me, she takes a nap just like everyone else. Both 7yo have bedtimes at 9pm and their parents never have trouble getting them to fall asleep on time each night.

They NEED a nap here. We do daily walks that are 1.5 miles each way and we even stop at the park in between. We still do outdoor play in the morning, too. The summer is the best time, too, as the combination of sun, sometimes water-play, and running around tires them out beyond belief!

They are HAPPY to lay down and rest in the middle of the day
Tags:nap problems, napping issues, no naps, parent request - no nap
Reply Up