Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tdap? What Are You Going To Do?
MizzCheryl 03:16 AM 09-04-2012
How are you guys approaching the Tdap vaccine.
In my county they are having free clinics and I am thinking of getting it, but...
Do you know anyone that has had adverse reactions.
I know alot of us have auto immune diseases. The last flu shot I got put me in bed for weeks. Do you guys know how safe this vaccine is. I did read some about it and saw that several people had side effects. But Whooping cough is dangerous too.
SilverSabre25 04:27 AM 09-04-2012
I got it about 5 years ago.

My arm swelled horribly at the injection site and I could barely move my arm from pain and from the arm just...not wanting to move. It took weeks for that arm to be completely back to normal. There was also a very swollen red area about 4 inches across right around the injection.

I happened to see my doctor within the first few days of the problem and her eyes bugged out when she saw it. "You are DEFINITELY allergic to something in that shot," she commented as she examined my arm as gently as she could (it was still excruciating). She advised me to NEVER get a Tdap again.

If I had known as much then as I do now, I would have reported the reaction but I didn't know about that back then. Still--no more Tdap for me, ever.
Angelsj 04:56 AM 09-04-2012
Just so you have a bit of balancing information, we had pertussis (the ap component) go through my home when my kids were 16 - 2. Everyone got it. The only one who was vaccinated against it was the 16 year old. He had 3 rounds of antibiotics and had the cough fairly roughly for about 75 days.

ALL of the younger children, including the 2 and 3.5 year old had one round of antibiotics and the cough lasted less than 30 days. None of them had an episode of coughing bad enough to land them in the hospital. Though it was not fun, it was doable.
MaritimeMummy 05:01 AM 09-04-2012
I had all my childhood vaccines and still got whooping cough at age 7.

I had a booster at 15, but nothing in adulthood.

For what it's worth, the old vaccine, available more than 1-1.5 years ago, was more dangerous and caused more reactions. The new version is considered to be "safer" but "less effective".

I imagine that is why you are seeing a current outbreak of whooping cough, due to the vaccine being less effective.
SilverSabre25 05:47 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
I had all my childhood vaccines and still got whooping cough at age 7.

I had a booster at 15, but nothing in adulthood.

For what it's worth, the old vaccine, available more than 1-1.5 years ago, was more dangerous and caused more reactions. The new version is considered to be "safer" but "less effective".

I imagine that is why you are seeing a current outbreak of whooping cough, due to the vaccine being less effective.
Actually the outbreak is being caused by the strain that is NOT vaccinated again.
itlw8 06:26 AM 09-04-2012
It was my understanding if you get a booster as a adult that is it. the T part you need every 10 years or sooner if you get cut on something dirty.

I will likely get it. I am due for a tetus soon.. I garden so dirty cuts are common. I will ask my dr about the pertussis. I am around little ones and an elderly parent but my Pertussis was before 1960 and some think the shot was different back than and I would still have immunity.
MaritimeMummy 06:48 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
It was my understanding if you get a booster as a adult that is it. the T part you need every 10 years or sooner if you get cut on something dirty.
I know many people have different opinions on this, but it's recommended to get a booster with the tetanus booster every 10 years.

I don't know about other places, but in NS the pertussis and tetanus vaccines are combined into one vaccine/injection. I am sure you can get then separately if you ask, but it should be every 10 years as an adult.
MaritimeMummy 06:50 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Actually the outbreak is being caused by the strain that is NOT vaccinated again.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple strains of pertussis.
BumbleBee 06:58 AM 09-04-2012
Just discussed this with my doctor. I get the tetanus shot and diptheria booster on schedule. I cannot have the pertussis booster due to a severe reaction years ago (stopped breathing, heart damage, seizures, etc.)

I would give your doctors office a call & discuss it with either your doctor or a nurse on staff.
youretooloud 09:26 AM 09-04-2012
I did it, and had no problems with it. I think I got it last year when I had some infants, and my mom was ill. I was spending a lot of time in the hospital, so I figured it was a good time to get whatever I needed.

I don't do flu shots or pneumonia shots because my reaction to it is SO not worth it. I am fairly sure i'd rather have the flu than the reactions to the vaccine.
MizzCheryl 10:06 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I did it, and had no problems with it. I think I got it last year when I had some infants, and my mom was ill. I was spending a lot of time in the hospital, so I figured it was a good time to get whatever I needed.

I don't do flu shots or pneumonia shots because my reaction to it is SO not worth it. I am fairly sure i'd rather have the flu than the reactions to the vaccine.
Me too. Flu shots, for me are as bad as the flu, maybe worse. Glad to hear you had no problems.
Sherwood 10:21 AM 09-04-2012
I asked my daycare parents if they'd gotten it and they all have. Since I don't have a history of issues with vaccines (and my physician recommended it) I went ahead with a TDAP last month. Last week I got my flu shot with no issues.

Of course I watch young infants and am paranoid about them picking up something here.. I have 3 kids in grade school, so who knows what they're exposed to and are bringing home.

To answer the OP's question, I don't know anyone that has had a bad reaction to either the flu or TDAP shots.
Tags:tdap, vaccinations
Reply Up