Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Explain???
mbullette 07:43 AM 01-24-2013
I sent out my new handbook with my policy and rate changes in it. I went from an hourly rate to a flat weekly rate. Two of my families are questioning my changes and want me to explain to them why all of a sudden I am making these changes. Financially I had to since my families feel the need to now show up and I am just not making it weekly. I dont feel these families need to know my financial situation and I dont want to sound money hungry. I want them to know I have my own bills to pay and a family to support.
Would you explain this or how should I respond back to them? I either make the changes or find a job outside the home. I am giving them 2 weeks to sign the contract or find another provider.
CedarCreek 08:08 AM 01-24-2013
Just say that financially you can no longer provide care on an hourly basis. So from now on they will pay for a guaranteed slot which will be available for them to use every week. If they feel like you no longer meet their needs, you understand and the last day you will be able to provide care for their child is (day before changes are implemented)
daycarediva 08:46 AM 01-24-2013
I would also add in something about how it benefits THEM, (and it DOES)

To ensure the best quality of care for the children, it greatly benefits me to know who will be attending and when. This enables me to better plan for our day as far as outings, activities, supplies and meals. It also will reserve your childs space in my program. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

blah blah...
daycare 08:53 AM 01-24-2013
I would just tell families that in order to run your business successfully that you need to be able to forecast the amount of money that you will make each month. It is almost impossible to run a business or your family expenses if you don't know how to budget your money.

For this reason, it is necessary to adapt a weekly flat rate that will become your weekly rate regardless of attendance or not.

I know change is hard and you might lose a family or two over it, but stick to your guns and keep this policy. It will really help you out in the long run
cheerfuldom 09:07 AM 01-24-2013
I agree with the above

I also think that most people that say they dont understand this change, are really saying that they dont like the change. they figure that by questioning you and hinting they might leave, that you will back down and give them the previous deal.

honestly i dont know of a single reliable daycare center or home in my area that offers hourly rates.
Sugar Magnolia 09:46 AM 01-24-2013
"Due to the rising costs of doing business in todays economy, I have had to raise my rates. This was not an easy decision and I need to do what is best to ensure my business continues to operate and serve our families. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
"Due to the rising costs of doing business in todays economy, I have had to raise my rates. This was not an easy decision and I need to do what is best to ensure my business continues to operate and serve our families. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."
^^^^^ what she said.
mbullette 10:47 AM 01-24-2013
Thank you so much!!! They have the choice to accept the new policies and rates or look for someone else. I am not backing down or giving them a better rate because they have two kids. The other providers in my area are a lot more expensive which they will soon find out.
wdmmom 11:44 AM 01-24-2013
"It's a change of the times. Changing from a hourly rate to a weekly rate not only creates far less paperwork for me but it secures you a permanent spot in the daycare. Essentially you are buying a slot at my weekly rate. With that purchase comes the same care you are used to receiving with a guarantee that your child will be able to attend each and every day."
Reply Up