Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Group Family Care
Dabill 05:50 PM 01-12-2018
Sorry for the many questions and thank you for all the info you have given me so far! I have one more question, hopefully the last for awhile.. below is copied from the MN DHS website:

Providers and all adult caregivers who are assisting with care on a regular basis must have had a physical exam within 12 months before obtaining their initial license.

In addition, group family child care providers must meet one of the following experience or educational qualifications:

1. A minimum of one year as a family child care provider

2. A minimum of six months as a licensed family child care provider plus certain training and experience described in Minnesota rules

3. Certification or licensure in the specified child development or early childhood program, child development assistant program, current prekindergarten license, K-6 teaching degree or documentation of six months' experience as a full-time teacher at a licensed child care center.

I will soon have an AAS degree in Child Development, care, and guidance so I asked my county licensor if this would allow me to get licensed for group right away or at least sooner than a year since that is what the above info means to me. She said everybody has to climb the ladder and she hasn’t heard of the info stated above. Anyone know more about this? There’s such a big difference in the amount of kids I could have which greatly affects finances!

TIA!
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Dabill:
Sorry for the many questions and thank you for all the info you have given me so far! I have one more question, hopefully the last for awhile.. below is copied from the MN DHS website:

Providers and all adult caregivers who are assisting with care on a regular basis must have had a physical exam within 12 months before obtaining their initial license.

In addition, group family child care providers must meet one of the following experience or educational qualifications:

2. A minimum of six months as a licensed family child care provider plus certain training and experience described in Minnesota rules

3. Certification or licensure in the specified child development or early childhood program, child development assistant program, current prekindergarten license, K-6 teaching degree or documentation of six months' experience as a full-time teacher at a licensed child care center.

I will soon have an AAS degree in Child Development, care, and guidance so I asked my county licensor if this would allow me to get licensed for group right away or at least sooner than a year since that is what the above info means to me. She said everybody has to climb the ladder and she hasn’t heard of the info stated above. Anyone know more about this? There’s such a big difference in the amount of kids I could have which greatly affects finances!

TIA!
Having an AAS in ECE isn't considered licensed or certified in the specific child development or early childhood program. You are working under someone IN one of those programs....from what I understand anyways... none of this was a rule when I first opened.

Usually when operating your own child care it requires 6 months of being in business before you can move up to a larger license.

The amount of kids really isn't that much different
Mostly you can have more school agers but they aren't a huge deal right now since they are in school all day.
TomCopeland 11:12 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Dabill:

TIA!
The DHS regulations may be referring to a child care center teacher and not family child care. Ask your county licensor for a copy of the rules regarding family child care.
Reply Up