Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nannyde - Meals
BentleysBands 04:05 AM 02-20-2011
I read on another thread some of your meals ideas. First, how do I get my own kids to eat when They aren't use to it kwim? Your meals sound really good!!! I'm not so much worried about ducks cuz if They don't eat oh well their parents can feed what they want. But my own family is what worries me. Also can u post somehow some more ideas or recipe's?
nannyde 06:10 AM 02-20-2011
Well today I'm soaking some white navy beans.

Tonight before I go to bed I will put in the crockpot:

one pound of soaked white beans

two pounds of organic free range ham

a pound of peeled carrots

one pureed ziploc of spinach from last spring. About a quarter of a sandwhich ziploc of puree.

three tablespoons of hidden valley ranch dry dressing (buy it in the BIG containers not the envelopes... from Walmart)

a couple of cloves of garlic

I'll let them cook all night tonight and my house will smell wonderful when the parents get here.

I'll save off half of the ham for my son and my supper and have one good meal with that. The next night he and I will have ham and beans.

If the ham has any fatty pieces on it I will run that thru the food processor with some cooked beans and pop it back into the crock pot. You need a bit of the fat to season the stew. I don't waste ANYTHING edible. It always go back into a stew.

So the kids will get ham/beans/carrots/spinach all in one bowl. They will devour it. I'll make a pan of dark tart cherry cornbread to go with it.

I'll get four lunches and two suppers with one crock pot of this. We'll eat one monday and then I'll store the other three for future lunch.
nannyde 06:15 AM 02-20-2011
Cathearder uses my food system. Ask her for some recipes. I want to eat at her house SO bad
KEG123 06:53 AM 02-20-2011
I need a crockpot, bad.

I'd love to hear more of your recipes too. We try to do as much organic as possible here but probably wont fully switch for a while.
ammama 07:42 AM 02-20-2011
I'd love to hear some more recipes too. I have one vegetarian child, so I leave out the meat, and put extra seasoning in (like using frozen veggie stock instead of water) to make up for the loss of meat flavor.
nannyde 07:46 AM 02-20-2011
I taught myself to cook using old cookbooks. Get old school betty crocker cookbooks. Illustrated ones are my fave. This one is GREAT

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Housekeep.../dp/0878510370 are great.

Amish recipes are great too. Look for recipes that are single ingredient ingredients that are commonly found in your cupboard.
KEG123 09:15 AM 02-20-2011
You could publish your own cook book. I'm sure many of us would buy it. Wink wink, hint hint, nudge nudge.
BentleysBands 09:26 AM 02-20-2011
mmmm. Sounds great!! I'm gonna go get some the ingredients an try the soup.Thx so much
JEM 10:55 AM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Well today I'm soaking some white navy beans.

Tonight before I go to bed I will put in the crockpot:

one pound of soaked white beans

two pounds of organic free range ham

a pound of peeled carrots

one pureed ziploc of spinach from last spring. About a quarter of a sandwhich ziploc of puree.

three tablespoons of hidden valley ranch dry dressing (buy it in the BIG containers not the envelopes... from Walmart)

a couple of cloves of garlic

I'll let them cook all night tonight and my house will smell wonderful when the parents get here.

I'll save off half of the ham for my son and my supper and have one good meal with that. The next night he and I will have ham and beans.

If the ham has any fatty pieces on it I will run that thru the food processor with some cooked beans and pop it back into the crock pot. You need a bit of the fat to season the stew. I don't waste ANYTHING edible. It always go back into a stew.

So the kids will get ham/beans/carrots/spinach all in one bowl. They will devour it. I'll make a pan of dark tart cherry cornbread to go with it.

I'll get four lunches and two suppers with one crock pot of this. We'll eat one monday and then I'll store the other three for future lunch.
OK This post is enough to bring me out of lurker-dom LOL It sounds delicious but tell me Nan, do you have to add some water or broth to it?
nannyde 11:13 AM 02-20-2011
Easy lentil stew my kids LOVE

one pound dry lentils soaked overnight, rinsed and throw in crockpot
one can of red gold tomato juice 46 oz
one package of dried beef stew seasoning
three pound roast beef/pork/lamb.... doesn't matter what meat
one pound of carrots
two cloves garlic
any veggies you have to add ... I love cubed potatoes in it too.
enough water to get the crock pot full after all ingredients are in up to about an inch from the top of the pot.

slow cook on low all day long..... about nine/ten hours

I like lamb with it but any cheapo roast will do. If you do beef or lamb you will maybe need a bit of garlic salt. Pork usually doesn't. If the meat has any side fat you can either toss it or run it thru the pureer with some of the lentils to blend and put back in the pot.

it's like chilli .... let it sit overnight and it's even better the next day.

Makes four lunches and two suppers for me and ds

Kids GOBBLE IT DOWN It costs around twelve dollars or so for the whole thing but makes a lot of meals.
My Daycare 11:29 AM 02-20-2011
Sounds great! I think I will try those recipies and the cookbooks.

The cookbook that I use is Woman's Home Companion Cook Book. it's from the 40's. I found it at my Grandma in Law's house, so I don't know where to get it from.
countrymom 03:28 PM 02-20-2011
your meals sound more like stews, do you make more stews over "dry meat and potatoes" if you kwim.
DCMomOf3 03:34 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by JEM:
OK This post is enough to bring me out of lurker-dom LOL It sounds delicious but tell me Nan, do you have to add some water or broth to it?
Welcome JEM!
nannyde 03:41 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
your meals sound more like stews, do you make more stews over "dry meat and potatoes" if you kwim.
Yes I do a lot of stews and sauce.
BentleysBands 02:49 AM 02-21-2011
my house smells divine! We are having the Ham/beans tonight

OK other than stews do u guys eat other things like fried or baked chicken, pork chops,etc?
nannyde 03:45 AM 02-21-2011
Sticky Chicken

4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and
pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is
evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate
overnight. When ready to cook chicken put onion in the cavity and put it in the crockpot and do not add
any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and
it will be falling off the bone tender.
Cat Herder 04:03 AM 02-21-2011
Well, come on Nan!! Today we are having grilled steak, chicken and shrimp kabobs with grilled zucchini and summer squash and fresh strawberry shortcakes. (I like grill days, saves on power bills and is done in advance) (our meat counter had a HUGE sale on prawns, boneless chicken breast and beef tenderloin this weekend...)

Tomorrow I will use some of the leftover meat chunks to make yummy chef salads with baby spinach and fresh veggies.

I also pre-made a chicken/broccoli/penne/3-cheese casserole for Wednesday, A pan of pulled BBQ for Thursdays sandwiches with sweet potato home fries and Beef stroganoff with egg noodles for Friday...

I was very pleased to have been able to put away enough for 1 week for my elderly inlaws as well...
nannyde 04:15 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Well, come on Nan!! Today we are having grilled steak, chicken and shrimp kabobs with grilled zucchini and summer squash and fresh strawberry shortcakes. (I like grill days, saves on power bills and is done in advance) (our meat counter had a HUGE sale on prawns, boneless chicken breast and beef tenderloin this weekend...)

Tomorrow I will use some of the leftover meat chunks to make yummy chef salads with baby spinach and fresh veggies.

I also pre-made a chicken/broccoli/penne/3-cheese casserole for Wednesday, A pan of pulled BBQ for Thursdays sandwiches with sweet potato home fries and Beef stroganoff with egg noodles for Friday...

I was very pleased to have been able to put away enough for 1 week for my elderly inlaws as well...

I want to eat at your house SO bad.

Let's see.. this is my week plan

Monday is Navy beans/ham/carrot/spinach soup
Tuesday is Venison/Lamb/potatoes stew with butternut squash
Wedneday is Buffallo, brown rice, black beans stew with sweet potatoes bread
Thursday is White fish (walleye and trout), fried potatoes, stawberry rhubarb sauce, and banana 7 grain bread for desert.
Friday is Roast Beef on cheddar biscuits with oranges and apples.
Cat Herder 04:35 AM 02-21-2011
Sounds wonderful, Nan!! I am completely out of game and will have to restock this season... Fish prices have gotten out of hand here, recently . I live in the chicken capitol........so ALWAYS have access to that on the cheap.

Some days I swear we are going to sprout feathers...

I want to do a creamy red/new potato/yellow onion stew with ham next week, but am stumped on how to get some more nutrition in it without taking away from the more delicate flavor.

It is so filling (starchy/buttery tasting) that they rarely eat the sides served with this....

Would adding a spinach/carrot puree mixed into the sauce be too much? I have not done that yet..... Is there something better?
nannyde 04:42 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sounds wonderful, Nan!! I am completely out of game and will have to restock this season... Fish prices have gotten out of hand here, recently . I live in the chicken capitol........so ALWAYS have access to that on the cheap.

Some days I swear we are going to sprout feathers...

I want to do a creamy red/new potato/yellow onion stew with ham next week, but am stumped on how to get some more nutrition in it without taking away from the more delicate flavor.

It is so filling (starchy/buttery tasting) that they rarely eat the sides served with this....

Would adding a spinach/carrot puree mixed into the sauce be too much? I have not done that yet..... Is there something better?
Spinach would be great. Asparagus would be my first choice. I got a ton of iowa organic asparagus last spring and when we ate it for as long as we could I steamed the rest and pureed. I put about a quarter of a sandwhich ziploc of it in my stews. You can sneak in anything dark green and they won't even know what hit em.
Cat Herder 04:48 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Spinach would be great. Asparagus would be my first choice. I got a ton of iowa organic asparagus last spring and when we ate it for as long as we could I steamed the rest and pureed. I put about a quarter of a sandwhich ziploc of it in my stews. You can sneak in anything dark green and they won't even know what hit em.
I had NOT even thought of that..... My kids LOVE it steamed so they would be happy if they did taste it in there. Thanks!!!
KEG123 05:14 AM 02-21-2011
Nan, I remember once you said you freeze a lot of meals for later. Do you just put them in ziplocks or in tupperware?
nannyde 05:19 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Nan, I remember once you said you freeze a lot of meals for later. Do you just put them in ziplocks or in tupperware?
I do ziplocs so I can flatten them out in the freezer. I just dip it into hot water and then cut off the ziploc and reheat in glass.
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 02-21-2011
I have not tried the ziplock bags, I do use the freezer storage containers. I love my catering trays with lids for casseroles. They make reheating so simple and can be washed and re-used.

This is a shot of one of my freezers this morning.. It makes it so much easier/cheaper to cook in bulk and in advance, I swear!!

Thank you, Nannyde!!
Attached: nan 010.jpg (51.2 KB) 
KEG123 07:26 AM 02-21-2011
Thats great. I plan to do this as well. Unfortunately, my whole fridge took a poop last night. GR!
Tags:meals, menus, recipe
Reply Up