Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Multiple Sinks In Your Kitchen?
dreamer 01:48 PM 03-23-2017
There is a rule in the administrative code that states:

"Handwashing sinks shall not be used for food service preparation or food clean up."

Do you have many sinks in your kitchen? It is forbidden to use my kitchen sink to wash my hands, according to this. I have worked in places where food is prepared and have seen sinks that are specifically for hand washing that are very separate from the sinks where dishes are washed. Do I need to install a second sink like that in my kitchen? I guess I could always just go to the bathroom each time to wash my hands, but what a hassle that would be.
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by dreamer:

"Handwashing sinks shall not be used for food service preparation or food clean up."

Do you have many sinks in your kitchen? It is forbidden to use my kitchen sink to wash my hands, according to this. I have worked in places where food is prepared and have seen sinks that are specifically for hand washing that are very separate from the sinks where dishes are washed. Do I need to install a second sink like that in my kitchen? I guess I could always just go to the bathroom each time to wash my hands, but what a hassle that would be.
Sounds like a rule for center based care?
Does your state have different rules for FCC and for center care?

I can't imagine regulations for FAMILY care to follow something like that...what HOME has two sinks?
dreamer 01:58 PM 03-23-2017
yeah, that's why I came to you all about this! It seems strange. I'll definitely look into whether or not this pertains to home daycare as well!
e.j. 03:17 PM 03-23-2017

We have the same regulation in our state. I just use the bathroom sink which is right off the kitchen. It is a hassle because while I can still hear the kids, I can't see them like I can from the kitchen sink. We at least have a reg that says you have to see and/or hear them at all times.
jenboo 03:58 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
We have the same regulation in our state. I just use the bathroom sink which is right off the kitchen. It is a hassle because while I can still hear the kids, I can't see them like I can from the kitchen sink. We at least have a reg that says you have to see and/or hear them at all times.
Same here.
Cat Herder 06:48 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Same here.

Hand washing in bathroom & playroom sinks and food/dishes in kitchen sink.
dreamer 07:12 PM 03-23-2017
thinking about it, the way its worded seems like they're more concerned about people washing dishes in sinks that are mainly used for hand-washing (which I think is silly, and wouldn't do anyway)! Maybe there's nothing to worry about after all.
e.j. 08:02 PM 03-23-2017
thinking about it, the way its worded seems like they're more concerned about people washing dishes in sinks that are mainly used for hand-washing (which I think is silly, and wouldn't do anyway)! Maybe there's nothing to worry about after all.
I just re-read the regulation you quoted and given the way it's worded, it does seem to be saying that you can't wash dishes in sinks used for hand washing. That seems a little odd to me. I wonder if maybe you should clarify the reg with your licensor? I say that because a couple of years ago, my food program rep visited me along with a USDA rep. One of the things they evaluated me on was hand washing and whether I washed my hands in the kitchen sink or not. The USDA rep thought I was washing my hands in the kitchen sink and was going to write me up for it. My food program rep stepped in and told her that I was simply washing the food - not my hands - which was okay to do. I had washed my hands in the bathroom sink before I started the food prep but apparently the USDA rep didn't notice. I know food program polices aren't the same as state regulations but... I think I'd ask for clarification rather than risk getting written up at some point.
daycare 04:39 AM 03-24-2017
Same rule here in northern Cali QRIS.
That's why I was flipping out. Lol.

I guess I can understand don't wash your hands in the kitchen sink if you just went to the. Athroom or such, but what if your in the middle of cooking and need to wash your hands. I was told can't wash them in the kitchen sink.

Whatever. I still do. Just one of many things I'm not going to jump through.
dreamer 11:01 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by :
I can understand don't wash your hands in the kitchen sink if you just went to the bathroom or such,
Yeah, I undrstand that, I'm like that too. If I went to dig up plants outside I wouldn't run in and wash my filthy bug-y mulch-y fingers over the dishes. But...what if I had been cutting up some tomatoes? Juicing some oranges? Rules say we have to run to the bathroom for that.
ljohnson81 08:23 PM 03-24-2017

I'm not sure about your state for FCC, but I know in Texas for child care centers that is a requirement. Texas centers must have a kitchen equipped with a double sink for dishes and a separate sink for handwashing. Also, if the kitchen doesn't have a dishwasher it must be a triple sink for sanitation purposes plus a handwashing sink.
Tags:sinks
Reply Up