Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CDA or Accreditation
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:00 AM 07-12-2013
OK so seriously this next year I would like to do one or the other. Which one? I feel that in Ohio I am going to need to show more/ prove more in the next few years.
heyhun77 04:49 AM 07-12-2013
Do both. Accreditation is more difficult but requires so many hours. If you do your training hours at the same time as your CDA training hours you can use them for both. The only real extra work for CDA is to put together your binder and write your competency statements. Of course there's an exam and observation but those are fairly easy.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
OK so seriously this next year I would like to do one or the other. Which one? I feel that in Ohio I am going to need to show more/ prove more in the next few years.
Are you currently participating in your state's QRIS or star rating system?

(I think in Ohio, it's called Step up to Quality)

I'd personally go the CDA route. Accreditation is VERY time consuming and costly in some cases. A CDA is useful if you decide to stop doing in home child care and want to work outside your home ever.... Accreditation would be for your program only and if you ever quit, the accreditation wouldn't follow you...kwim?

You can use your CDA for points in earning stars for QRIS. Accreditation is counted too but usually as an alternative pathway.

HTH
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:43 AM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you currently participating in your state's QRIS or star rating system?

(I think in Ohio, it's called Step up to Quality)

I'd personally go the CDA route. Accreditation is VERY time consuming and costly in some cases. A CDA is useful if you decide to stop doing in home child care and want to work outside your home ever.... Accreditation would be for your program only and if you ever quit, the accreditation wouldn't follow you...kwim?

You can use your CDA for points in earning stars for QRIS. Accreditation is counted too but usually as an alternative pathway.

HTH
Thanks that is helpful. Ohio step up right now is not for type B providers but will be heading that way this year. I have step up hours but they only count as hours.
I feel that in the next year there are going to be big changes coming and I want to be on the ahead side! Plus I have a year gap between my dd finishing college and ds going so money wise, this next year will be the time for me to work on something
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Thanks that is helpful. Ohio step up right now is not for type B providers but will be heading that way this year. I have step up hours but they only count as hours.
I feel that in the next year there are going to be big changes coming and I want to be on the ahead side! Plus I have a year gap between my dd finishing college and ds going so money wise, this next year will be the time for me to work on something
Do you have the info for Step up? I know you said, it's not for Type B providers yet, but maybe just reading over the stuff will help know what to expect when it does come your way....

Here's the link just in case.... http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default.../opre/ohio.pdf
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:16 AM 07-12-2013
Do you have the info for Step up? I know you said, it's not for Type B providers yet, but maybe just reading over the stuff will help know what to expect when it does come your way....

Here's the link just in case.... http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default.../opre/ohio.pdf
Thanks Blackcat.
itlw8 11:44 AM 07-12-2013
I agree do the CDA and then you can use those hours for accreditation. I let both lapse but renewed the CDA under the amnesty program. I was not going to do accreditation because a program we have REACH does not serve accredited providers... Well I just got a call and they now will not serve licensed providers just registered ones. So If I see a grant to do the accreditation I will go for it. maybe I should get myself on the waiting list for the next group. Unless that funding has been cut also. They seem to be pushing TEACH and I am not sure I want to go back to school .
laceylmm 03:25 PM 07-12-2013

I'm in Ohio also. So this will come in handy. Thank you also!
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 07-12-2013
Originally Posted by laceylmm:
I'm in Ohio also. So this will come in handy. Thank you also!
Glad I could help
Tags:accreditation, cda, cda credential
Reply Up