Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mad At Myself...What Would You Do
small_steps 07:25 AM 02-16-2012
I very recently raised my rates...only for new kiddos. I wasn't thinking yesterday when I quoted someone my old rate for their two children. It's only $10 more per week but still...kinda mad at myself. I have an interview with them Friday evening. I've thought about just calling her before she comes and telling her my mistake and that I understand if she changes her mind about the interview or just go with it and give the old rate that I quoted. I do not need anymore children. I have 8 and I'm ok with that. Any others is just extra spending money for me which is of course always nice. (licensed for 12..so I'm good with ratios). I think I may regret it later if I take them at my old rate and may resent taking them on. What would you do? they are a 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 year old so I really don't mind having them joing us, just would rather it be at my new rate.
Cat Herder 07:38 AM 02-16-2012
I'd call and correct my mistake.

My concern would be that I'd begin to resent them having a "discounted rate" (due to my misquote) when they make all the "typical" new client blunders (let's face it, they will Most folks test the waters at LEAST once.). To them it would just be "the rate" to me it would be a "discount" and a bit of salt in the wounds coming.....YKWIM?

It would be unfair of me to already have a level of frustration with the contract that they were not even aware of... This is a KNOWN factor in Provider Burnout. Resentment.

Provider Burnout Risk should also be factored into this decision, IMHO.
MrsB 07:39 AM 02-16-2012
I would call her and tell her exactly what you said if you are willing to loose them over the extra $20 per week (for 2 kids).

I give a sibling discount so I might say something like child 1 will be my new rate of $1--. per week but I will give you a sibling discount of $10/week on the other child.
frugalmama4 07:53 AM 02-16-2012
Hello,

I think you could go either way on this; call her back and explain the miss-up or let it go and increase your rate in about 6 months or the beginning of next year "for this family" However, if you're still much much cheaper then others in the area "then yes charge the new rate"

But remember it's not always about the $$$ if you can afford to take them in at the old rate then do so it will be good business IMO.

Hope this helped! HAVE A GOOD DAY!
small_steps 07:57 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I'd call and correct my mistake.

My concern would be that I'd begin to resent them having a "discounted rate" (due to my misquote) when they make all the "typical" new client blunders (let's face it, they will Most folks test the waters at LEAST once.). To them it would just be "the rate" to me it would be a "discount" and a bit of salt in the wounds coming.....YKWIM?

It would be unfair of me to already have a level of frustration with the contract that they were not even aware of...
I agree! That was kind of what I was thinking would happen if I took them at the old rate. Thank you! I tihnk I will phone her this evening.
small_steps 07:59 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I would call her and tell her exactly what you said if you are willing to loose them over the extra $20 per week (for 2 kids).

I give a sibling discount so I might say something like child 1 will be my new rate of $1--. per week but I will give you a sibling discount of $10/week on the other child.
It's $10 a week for both not each...and that's with a sibling discount. I do the discounts also although sometimes I tell myself I will stop giving that discount...as a mother of 3 I understand that discount is a big help to parents with more than one child but at the same time I'm limited to the number I keep and it can make a big dent in my income when I have more than 1 set of siblings. If I take them I will have 3 sets of siblings.
familyschoolcare 08:02 AM 02-16-2012
another thing you could do is at the interview tell the parent oh yah the rate I quoted you is a special I am running right now for new families the rate will go up to X after X months.
small_steps 08:03 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Hello,

I think you could go either way on this; call her back and explain the miss-up or let it go and increase your rate in about 6 months or the beginning of next year "for this family" However, if you're still much much cheaper then others in the area "then yes charge the new rate"

But remember it's not always about the $$$ if you can afford to take them in at the old rate then do so it will be good business IMO.

Hope this helped! HAVE A GOOD DAY!
Thank you I think I will go ahead and let her know now that I made a mistake. I still have one I've had for almost 2 years and I haven't raised his rates. I have a hard time with raising rates. I've allowed his rate to stay the same even though I am paid $25 less per week for him than everyone else. For some reason with me its easier to just raise my rates with incoming clients, even though you'd think the ones that had been with you so long would feel you deserved it.
Cat Herder 08:05 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
another thing you could do is at the interview tell the parent oh yah the rate I quoted you is a special I am running right now for new families the rate will go up to X after X months.
I would do this with great caution.... People here get very angry if they feel someone has pulled a "bait and switch".

Angry enough to badmouth a provider around town. Granted, it may also be a cultural thing in my region, only.
MrsB 08:14 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Thank you I think I will go ahead and let her know now that I made a mistake. I still have one I've had for almost 2 years and I haven't raised his rates. I have a hard time with raising rates. I've allowed his rate to stay the same even though I am paid $25 less per week for him than everyone else. For some reason with me its easier to just raise my rates with incoming clients, even though you'd think the ones that had been with you so long would feel you deserved it.
I have a 3% raise (rounded to the nearest dollar) added to my contract starting the first full week of February every year. (Feb to let parents kind of recover from the holidays) They know it is coming so I dont get any backlash (to my face) about raising rates or the uncomfortableness. It has worked well for me.

As for calling the mom, since it really is only $40 or so per month, I would call her and let her know about the mistake. If you lose her over $40 per month without her seeing your program or meeting you, then you probably dont want the DC family anyway.
Tags:discount, provider - burnout risk, rate - structure
Reply Up