Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Biting Policy...Please Read
LaLa1923 07:28 AM 10-22-2013
Here's my biting policy, please tell me what you think.

I was wondering if I should make this 3 strikes and suspend after the second bite??

Please let me know if something doesn't look right. I typed this very quickly.

should I say "when the first bite occurs? (instead of this is when)
I'm trying to make this as clear as I can.

Biting Policy

Here at ________ biting is strictly prohibited. However, in the event a child has bitten another child a 4 strike rule is then implemented. Every occurrence is documented and signed by the parent or guardian.
This does not include developmental or reaction bites. Limited of course, and is a case-by-case basis.

Below is my 4 strike rule-
Strike 1- This is when the first bite occurs. Both the bitter and bittee will then be monitored to limit this reoccurring.
Strike 2- This is when the second bite occurs. At this point the bitter will be shadowed and their areas limited when other children are present.
Strike 3-This is when the third bite occurs. A parent will be called immediately to pick up their child. Care will then be suspended for 48 hours. Both parent and provider will meet in person to discuss another plan of action.
Strike 4-This is when the fourth bite occurs. Care will be immediately terminated.

This policy is necessary to prevent any child from being harmed. It is my goal to keep every child in care safe.
Crazy8 07:37 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I was wondering if I should make this 3 strikes and suspend after the second bite??

Biting Policy

Here at ________ biting is strictly prohibited. However, in the event a child has bitten another child a 4 strike rule is then implemented. Every occurrence is documented and signed by the parent or guardian.
This does not include developmental or reaction bites. Limited of course, and is a case-by-case basis.

Strike 1- This is when the first bite occurs. Both the bitter and bittee will then be monitored to limit this reoccurring.
Strike 2- This is when the second bite occurs. At this point the bitter will be shadowed and their areas limited when other children are present.
Strike 3-This is when the third bite occurs. A parent will be called immediately to pick up their child. Care will then be suspended for 48 hours. Both parent and provider will meet in person to discuss another plan of action.
Strike 4-This is when the fourth bite occurs. Care will be immediately terminated.

This policy is necessary to prevent any child from being harmed. It is my goal to keep every child in care safe.
No real advice as I don't have a biting policy, but you would spell it biter, not bitter.
Also the bolded confuses me... I think that's giving parents an "out" to their strikes rule - they'll always come up with a reason that it shouldn't be counted as a "strike".
But like I said, I don't have a written policy on biting so don't know what really should be included.
Cat Herder 07:38 AM 10-22-2013

Biting Policy

I'd take out the bolded sections. It gives parents loopholes to say it IS developmental or reactionary or they have a better plan for their child for YOU to follow.

You can verbally give them a break, at will, of your own reasoning. Keep the written rules strict and concise. Be the hero when you give them a olive branch instead of defending yourself constantly...
LaLa1923 07:42 AM 10-22-2013
thank you ladies!

I did put developmental in there because I had a child bite out of reaction. She was pulling him from a car she wanted and his mouth came down on his arm. I think it was done out of reaction.

But you're both right I should take that out!
LaLa1923 07:44 AM 10-22-2013
Biting Policy

Here at Small Treasures Childcare biting is strictly prohibited. However, in the event a child has bitten another child a 4 strike rule is then implemented. Every occurrence is documented and signed by the parent or guardian.

Strike 1- This is when the first bite occurs. Both the biter and bittee will then be monitored to limit this reoccurring.
Strike 2- This is when the second bite occurs. At this point the biter will be shadowed and their areas limited when other children are present.
Strike 3-This is when the third bite occurs. A parent will be called immediately to pick up their child. Care will then be suspended for 48 hours.

Cat Herder 07:49 AM 10-22-2013

I did put developmental in there because I had a child bite out of reaction. She was pulling him from a car she wanted and his mouth came down on his arm. I think it was done out of reaction.
Oh, this absolutely happens... I've told a DCM before that the other kid earned it BUT I still had to enforce the rules.

School has a zero tolerance policy on violence now (even verbal threats), *fair* no longer exists in elementary school. THAT is what we are preparing toddlers for... Let them know you are not judging their kid, just preparing them. They should all get it and work with you.

Schools just don't allow for developmental stages anymore.... the rules for high schoolers are being applied to elementary kids. It is awful... they are "labeled", grouped and categorized as "at risk" (low performer) so early now. If their kid is the one the teachers don't like, the next 16 years are going to be a nightmare and act in futility.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 10-22-2013
Just curious but why do you have the 48 hour exclusion?

Is the parent suppose to do anything in that 48 hours?

I get that you are trying to "curb" the biting but I guess I fail to see the logic in having them stay home for 48 hours unless something is suppose to happen in that timeframe.

NOT saying your policy is not good (it IS), I just didn't understand the point of exclusion other than as a punishment for the parent because their child bit someone... That's how I would take it if I were a parent anyways...
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I get that you are trying to "curb" the biting but I guess I fail to see the logic in having them stay home for 48 hours unless something is suppose to happen in that timeframe.

NOT saying your policy is not good (it IS), I just didn't understand the point of exclusion other than as a punishment for the parent because their child bit someone... That's how I would take it if I were a parent anyways...
I'm not op but I have an exclusion too. I do it because many times a parent will blow it off until it effects them personally. (same as my illness policy) When they know they will miss two days of work if it happens again, I find they start taking it seriously. I have not had to use it yet because it exists in writing. YKWIM?
LaLa1923 07:57 AM 10-22-2013

Should I take that out and have strike three termination??

I guess it would give us time to think of anything else we can do.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'm not op but I have an exclusion too. I do it because many times a parent will blow it off until it effects them personally.
Should I take that out and have strike three termination??

I guess it would give us time to think of anything else we can do.
Nope... don't remove it.

I think CatHerder answered my question....It DOES make a parent think twice because it DOES effect them then.

I am coming off a week of great parents, parents who returned things on time and have been really really golden so the idea that SOME parents really just don't "get it" sometimes just hadn't crept into my thought process

But I understand now.
Familycare71 09:33 AM 10-22-2013
Nope... don't remove it.

I think CatHerder answered my question....It DOES make a parent think twice because it DOES effect them then.

I am coming off a week of great parents, parents who returned things on time and have been really really golden so the idea that SOME parents really just don't "get it" sometimes just hadn't crept into my thought process

But I understand now.
I would also use the 48 hours to observe how the group is with out the biter! Sometimes removing one kid can change the entire dynamic- IMO it could help you see where and possibly, who, are the triggers and issues
butterfly 11:27 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I would also use the 48 hours to observe how the group is with out the biter! Sometimes removing one kid can change the entire dynamic- IMO it could help you see where and possibly, who, are the triggers and issues
that's a great point
MCC 12:39 PM 10-22-2013
Is this a daily tally or weekly or indefinite? Meaning, if the child bites on Oct 1, and then again on Dec 20th, is that strike 2? Or does it start over every day?

Just curious, if this was a year long tally, I would have to term my own child
TwinKristi 03:44 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
Is this a daily tally or weekly or indefinite? Meaning, if the child bites on Oct 1, and then again on Dec 20th, is that strike 2? Or does it start over every day?

Just curious, if this was a year long tally, I would have to term my own child
Yeah I don't really have a policy because like she said, I'd have to term my son because he's the biter BUT it's often his reaction to something else going on. Someone hits him, he bites. Someone takes his toy, he bites. But at 18-22mo it's hard to enforce rules like that. A child over 2, that's different for me. I had a baby who was 12mos bite. He bit me once and he bit another child as well. It's kinda hard to suspend or term an infant ya know? A child, yes. But an infant? No.
JoseyJo 03:55 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Yeah I don't really have a policy because like she said, I'd have to term my son because he's the biter BUT it's often his reaction to something else going on. Someone hits him, he bites. Someone takes his toy, he bites. But at 18-22mo it's hard to enforce rules like that. A child over 2, that's different for me. I had a baby who was 12mos bite. He bit me once and he bit another child as well. It's kinda hard to suspend or term an infant ya know? A child, yes. But an infant? No.
I would term a 19-22 mo who bit- We don't do biting here! Not saying it is not developmentally appropriate, just saying a biter is not a good fit for our program.

For me when and it becomes a habit to bite (even in reaction to something other than pain -when someone takes a toy, or cuts in front, or sits too close, or colors your paper, etc) that would be a term in my program.
TwinKristi 04:15 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
I would term a 19-22 mo who bit- We don't do biting here! Not saying it is not developmentally appropriate, just saying a biter is not a good fit for our program.

For me when and it becomes a habit to bite (even in reaction to something other than pain -when someone takes a toy, or cuts in front, or sits too close, or colors your paper, etc) that would be a term in my program.
Even your own child? LOL come on...
daycare 04:19 PM 10-22-2013
I need to knock on the wood. I have only ever had one child bite. It was a sibling set that the younger bit the older. It happened one time and never happened again.

My hat goes out to you guys that deal with this often. I don't know if I could
LaLa1923 04:51 PM 10-22-2013
This is still unacceptable. How often does he bite?

I agree!! I could not and will not have a biter here!! The offender is 14 months old. It is still not ok.
If my providers kid was the biter I'd find another provider

I've had three kids and not one was a biter, it's something I don't understand.
JoseyJo 04:52 PM 10-22-2013
Mine are in HS now, so they better not be biting!

I don't know what I would do if mine were in my daycare and bit... Each of my children tried it once or twice at home and stopped really quickly when there are a STRONG consequence so I didn't have to deal w/ this issue for the most part.

Honestly I don't think I could handle being responsible for other people's children and my own child hurting them! I am glad mine were older when I started or I might not have made it as long as I have.
LaLa1923 04:59 PM 10-22-2013
Mine are in HS now, so they better not be biting!

I don't know what I would do if mine were in my daycare and bit... Each of my children tried it once or twice at home and stopped really quickly when there are a STRONG consequence so I didn't have to deal w/ this issue for the most part.

Honestly I don't think I could handle being responsible for other people's children and my own child hurting them! I am glad mine were older when I started or I might not have made it as long as I have.
Exactly this! It may have happened once or twice but they NEVER did it again. I would not be able to operate a daycare and have a biter. (biter being my own child)
Tags:biting, biting policy
Reply Up