Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Lil'DinoEggs's Avatar
Lil'DinoEggs Lil'DinoEggs is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 198
Default Doing Work During Work Hours

I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

I am getting better with meal preparation, but I am stuck on

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
*extras: abc folders for new students, new posters, printing pictures, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs View Post
I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

I am getting better with meal preparation, but I am stuck on

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
*extras: abc folders for new students, new posters, printing pictures, etc.
Admittedly the only reason I get as much done during work hours is because I have a helper Worth her weight in gold to not have to work on my off hours.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 AM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
Admittedly the only reason I get as much done during work hours is because I have a helper Worth her weight in gold to not have to work on my off hours.
This for me too. I just hired an assistant 3 weeks ago. It's amazing, and so worth every little penny I pay here. I am so much more productive when she is here. She typically deals with the kids, and I deal with the rest. She is only here MWF in the pm, but I am seriously considering having her here FT.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Leanna's Avatar
Leanna Leanna is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York State
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs View Post
I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

I am getting better with meal preparation, but I am stuck on

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
*extras: abc folders for new students, new posters, printing pictures, etc.
I don't have any advice for you because I struggle with this too! I spend HOURS outside the 50 hours/week I am open doing day care work: cleaning, paperwork, planning, setting up activities, etc. I don't know how to get it done during the day. When the kids are up I am interacting with and supervising them and when they are napping I am able to get just enough done for that afternooon (wash the breakfast and lunch dishes, clean tables off, etc.)

I've never understand how some get everything done while the kids are there. I mean, its not like you can be like, "Well, kids I am going to go scrub the bathroom now. Be good!" lol. I think those who get a lot done are those who have help :\
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 AM
crazydaycarelady's Avatar
crazydaycarelady crazydaycarelady is offline
Not really crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,447
Default

I have had a helper the last 3 years and it does help but prior to that I got most things done within the work day, except for the shopping of course.

After 18 years of doing this I just developed a good routine. I also fix pretty simple easy meals (since those are the ones they eat best anyway.)

For example near the end of the day I have the kids pick up all the toys. They do an activity at the table (puzzles, coloring, or their favorite is a huge tub of McDonalds toys that I only get out at this time, they have to keep them on the table.) I vacuum while they play and get the room ready for the next morning.

During nap I do the dishes and sometimes dinner prep.

My laundry room is next to the dc room so when I have a minute (like when they eat snack) I'll sort or transfer a load or fold.

It's really about routine and also sneaking little minutes throughout the day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
For example near the end of the day I have the kids pick up all the toys. They do an activity at the table (puzzles, coloring, or their favorite is a huge tub of McDonalds toys that I only get out at this time, they have to keep them on the table.) I vacuum while they play and get the room ready for the next morning.

During nap I do the dishes and sometimes dinner prep.

My laundry room is next to the dc room so when I have a minute (like when they eat snack) I'll sort or transfer a load or fold.

It's really about routine and also sneaking little minutes throughout the day.

I do as much as possible while the kids are here. I may not completely finish one task at one time, but by the end of the day I have things pretty well wrapped up.

The only thing I really struggle with is the paperwork. I usually end up doing this after hours. However, I really dislike the paperwork so I tend to put this off as much as possible then I rush at the end of the month to get it all done.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

for paperwork I try to do it every Monday at nap - I enter in payments from Friday, attendance sheet from week before and any receipts that I have from the week before.

I close at 4:30 but at 4:00 is final clean up and while they are doing that I wipe down the bathroom, counters, load the dishwasher. (my space is separate so it's right in the room). Then we play board games or do floor puzzles all together during pick up.

I also try to start a load of laundry each morning, change it over during the morning and then fold at nap or I give that chore to one of my own kids when they get home from school.

I can plan my curriculum somewhat during nap but really getting it ready for the week I have to do after hours so I usually take 1-2 hours on the weekend to get it ready.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Maria2013's Avatar
Maria2013 Maria2013 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs View Post
I have tried a variety of plans and they didn't work or I wasn't organized to execute them.

Is it possible to do all my work stuff during work hours? if you are successful at this will you let me know.

I am getting better with meal preparation, but I am stuck on

*Cleaning
*paperwork
*planning
*extras: abc folders for new students, new posters, printing pictures, etc.
now that I do most planning and cleaning after hours or on the weekend, my days are so much easier
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

another thing I've done in the past is pick one day a week that is a free play day. I use this day to get caught up on things. It's harder for me to do this now that I have a couple infants. It's actually easier for me to fit it in everyday during the day rather than trying to get a free play day with infants. But just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post

I do as much as possible while the kids are here. I may not completely finish one task at one time, but by the end of the day I have things pretty well wrapped up.

The only thing I really struggle with is the paperwork. I usually end up doing this after hours. However, I really dislike the paperwork so I tend to put this off as much as possible then I rush at the end of the month to get it all done.
This is me. For me, the key is to clean up after ourselves right after we do one thing. For example after meals I have the children help me clean up and wipe the table then they line up to wash their hands in the kitchen while I rinse the dishes in the 2nd sink. Once they lay down for nap I load the dishwasher and disinfect the table etc.

If we paint we clean up together after we're done, if we play with the toys we clean up before we take out a new toy etc.

Paperwork involves more concentration so this always gets done after hours.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Sunshine75's Avatar
Sunshine75 Sunshine75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 108
Default

I think it just depends on your state too and their policies. For instance, in MN, you have to monitor and be in the room with them during nap/down time. That makes it hard to get to anything during your day. I actually purchased some toy vacuums though and now when I vacuum the kids pretend they are vacuuming as well!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2013, 03:16 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
I have had a helper the last 3 years and it does help but prior to that I got most things done within the work day, except for the shopping of course.

After 18 years of doing this I just developed a good routine. I also fix pretty simple easy meals (since those are the ones they eat best anyway.)

For example near the end of the day I have the kids pick up all the toys. They do an activity at the table (puzzles, coloring, or their favorite is a huge tub of McDonalds toys that I only get out at this time, they have to keep them on the table.) I vacuum while they play and get the room ready for the next morning.

During nap I do the dishes and sometimes dinner prep.

My laundry room is next to the dc room so when I have a minute (like when they eat snack) I'll sort or transfer a load or fold.

It's really about routine and also sneaking little minutes throughout the day.


This is how I manage on days I don't have my helper. And honestly? Sometimes I feel like we get a lot more accomplished on the days it's just me and the kids
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 AM
MissAnn's Avatar
MissAnn MissAnn is offline
Preschool Teacher
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,210
Default

I don't do very much extra work during the day. I save it for after work so I can up my time/space %. I do allow myself lazy time when kids nap.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
I don't have any advice for you because I struggle with this too! I spend HOURS outside the 50 hours/week I am open doing day care work: cleaning, paperwork, planning, setting up activities, etc. I don't know how to get it done during the day. When the kids are up I am interacting with and supervising them and when they are napping I am able to get just enough done for that afternooon (wash the breakfast and lunch dishes, clean tables off, etc.)

I've never understand how some get everything done while the kids are there. I mean, its not like you can be like, "Well, kids I am going to go scrub the bathroom now. Be good!" lol. I think those who get a lot done are those who have help :\
I can ONLY get extra done when I have help. Either dh (my legal sub) my assistant (who I only try to have here 1-2x a month) and my 14yo dd helps supervise so I can do paperwork at the end of the day.

I still spend HOURS outside of daycare doing work, although the majority of my cleaning is done during dc hours, that deep clean/sanitize weekly thing, lesson prep, paperwork catch up is all Sunday morning.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna View Post

I've never understand how some get everything done while the kids are there. I mean, its not like you can be like, "Well, kids I am going to go scrub the bathroom now. Be good!" lol. I think those who get a lot done are those who have help :\
For the most part I can only deep clean when my assistant is here. But there are times where I *must* clean while I'm here alone with the kids - say a child has an accident and decides to come and tell me rather then call me into the bathroom leaving a nice puddle trail through the house (happened this week actually ) obviously I could just wipe up the puddles since it needed to be sanitized and cleaned up. Things like this are the very reason I makes special table toy bins that are only used in emergency situations. Children are "put up" with these when I have no choice but to clean up.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine75 View Post
I think it just depends on your state too and their policies. For instance, in MN, you have to monitor and be in the room with them during nap/down time. That makes it hard to get to anything during your day. I actually purchased some toy vacuums though and now when I vacuum the kids pretend they are vacuuming as well!
Is this a county rule? It isn't a state rule so I am just curious.

MN state rules say you must be within sight OR sound of the children (and AVAILABLE for the school agers.)

You do NOT have to be in the same room with the kids while they are napping. Including infants.

Infants however, are not suppose to be behind a closed door and you need to check on them physically every 15 (?) minutes but you don't have to be physically in the same room.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Sunshine75's Avatar
Sunshine75 Sunshine75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 108
Default

Hmm...maybe it is a county thing then. I just know a friend of mine who has pre-k has to be in the room with them during down time and she is in my same county.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
MrsSteinel'sHouse's Avatar
MrsSteinel'sHouse MrsSteinel'sHouse is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,481
Default

In Ohio it states that you may not do any cleaning when the children are present other than routine pick up and straightening I don't have the exact wording but basically, you can't be cleaning your house when children are present but may clean up their messes (ie sweep, do dishes etc)

Oh in answer to the question- I try to stay "caught up" all day. So after breakfast when they are still playing nicely with one another, I catch up dishes and prep lunch, they pick up before walk and again before lunch, while they eat afternoon snack I try to catch up dishes again. They always pick up toys so I run the sweeper after they are picked up or in the morning before they arrive. Sweep and mop kitchen, when I get a chance (after breakfast or after hours). We only use part of my house for childcare. I find it all of the other cleaning in the rest of my house is hard to keep up with Nap times, schoolwork with ds
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
organizing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Max Daycare Hours By Law satxmb Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 08-10-2020 09:50 PM
Explaining Contracted Hours Play Care Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 12-27-2019 12:39 PM
What Do I Need To Do Differently? Leigh Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 06-20-2013 01:58 PM
Changing Childcare Hours In The Fall Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 11-09-2012 01:45 PM
Such a Fool Duped By DC Parents :( Need Advice Please! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 44 03-02-2011 01:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming