Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Organizing...
mainemomma 05:20 PM 12-29-2010
With the new year coming I am looking to be a bit more organized...I have been licensed since April 2010 and I feel I am still learning everyday as to what I can do to make my life easier and run more smoothly...so I am curious as to how you all organize your things....your receipts...your daily attendace...your food program sheets...your child folders....ect, ect! ANYTHING would be better than the system that I have which is writing names and times daily for attendance in a notebook...an unorganized 12 pocket folder with there records in it....a massive clump of receipts and a pile of food program papers!

I am thinking of doing a 3 ring binder for attendance, weekly deposits, notes to remember and fire drill reports, one for child records, one for food program and one for monthly bills & receipts that are deductable...and then a 12 file holder for the proper forms for new children.

Melissa
SilverSabre25 06:39 PM 12-29-2010
I dunno if it's going to work (because I'm learning how to be more organized, too!) but for 2011 I have a nice big manila envelope labelled "2011 bills and receipts" and into it are going to go all daycare-related (read: deductible) bills and receipts. I like the envelope idea because it's idiotproof: open envelope, shove stuff in, walk away. That's the kind of thing I can work with!
mainemomma 05:48 AM 12-30-2010
I was thinking of doing that too...but with a 3 ring binder and an envelope for each month...have it separated into months and punch all full size bills, meaning electric, fuel, phone, ect ect...and then punching a large manila envelope for each month and putting any smaller receipts, such as groceries, toys,ect ect...does that make sense? I also made a sheet with all monthly reoccurring charges to put infront of each months section so I dont forget any..I have a few that are paperless and automatically deducted so I am worried I might forget one!
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 12-30-2010
I'm thinking about buying one of those thingy's that scan your receipts and then the software that comes with it organizes the items and dollar amounts into the proper categories....does anyone have one and cna tell me if they REALLY make it that easy or if it is all just a gimmick? I use the accounting stuff we got from our food program CKKids or MMK, whatever it is called now...but I have to enter everything manually and usually what happens is all my receipts pile up or I lose them and forget to enter them....IT IS HARD TO BE ORGANIZED!!!!!
Anyone else notice that the ink on receipts (especially Target) fades after a few months? Ughhhhh!!
MarinaVanessa 07:23 AM 12-30-2010
I use Calendar Keeper by Redleaf press to keep track of expenses, attendance, payments, mileage records etc. I'ts like a calendar that you can hang on a wall and just enter everything in manually. For my receipts and such I just bought an accordian style folder and labeled all of the tabs by month and then seperate the receipts by category and staple them together.
SilverSabre25 07:26 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm thinking about buying one of those thingy's that scan your receipts and then the software that comes with it organizes the items and dollar amounts into the proper categories....does anyone have one and cna tell me if they REALLY make it that easy or if it is all just a gimmick? I use the accounting stuff we got from our food program CKKids or MMK, whatever it is called now...but I have to enter everything manually and usually what happens is all my receipts pile up or I lose them and forget to enter them....IT IS HARD TO BE ORGANIZED!!!!!
Anyone else notice that the ink on receipts (especially Target) fades after a few months? Ughhhhh!!
My plan with the receipts is to go through my envelope every month and copy all the previous month's receipts--several on a sheet of paper so that I waste less. Then staple the originals to the copy. We'll see if this actually works...
dEHmom 07:28 AM 12-30-2010
If you are leaning towards the 3 ring binder idea (which gave me the idea to do that as well, hehe), I would suggest buying the large manilla envelopes, hole punching them so they can clip into the binder, and label them by month. Drop the receipts into the envelope and close the binder. Seems simpler to me then having to have a filing folder as well. And you can write all over the envelope too or staple a sheet of paper to the backside of the envelope and keep track as you drop stuff in. then you don't actually have to pull them out and tally everything at the end of the month or year.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My plan with the receipts is to go through my envelope every month and copy all the previous month's receipts--several on a sheet of paper so that I waste less. Then staple the originals to the copy. We'll see if this actually works...
That USED to be my plan too.....but I seem to only be able to do that faithfully until June and then summer hits and I'm done! I can't keep up on going through my envelope and stapling stuff and organizing during the summer because.......(Pausing to find a logical reason).........well because once summer comes, I live on the lake and am a lazy old fool! Can't shirk the accountability....I just start out great every year and scramble toward the end...that is the only consistent part......EPIC FAIL after sunshine and good weather comes!!!!
E Daycare 09:37 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I use Calendar Keeper by Redleaf press to keep track of expenses, attendance, payments, mileage records etc. I'ts like a calendar that you can hang on a wall and just enter everything in manually. For my receipts and such I just bought an accordian style folder and labeled all of the tabs by month and then seperate the receipts by category and staple them together.
This is EXACTLY what I did too!
dEHmom 04:40 AM 01-11-2011
i'm not understand how you separate the receipts into categories. I'm sure most of you are like me and do grocery, toys, household items, and crafts etc at walmart and it's all on the same receipt. Unless you sit there and go through each receipt and hand write the stuff out separate on a piece of paper?
lvt77 06:41 AM 01-11-2011
I went out and bought one of those restaurant receipt spindles from OfficeMax for $2. My plan is to get receipts for everything, and whenever I get home to spear them all on the spike. Every day or two, I’ll empty the spike and punch in a few quick numbers into MMK. All tax-deductible expenses will be stored in a folder for tax time.
lil angels 11:28 AM 01-11-2011
I have a laptop and I enter all receipt as I get them and keep on it so I don't have the 6 hrs of entering like I used to do.
Abigail 09:33 PM 01-11-2011
I like the 3Ring binder ideas because it's great for emergencies too. (A folder would work too...) I originally thought I wanted to store all my papers in a hanging file system inside the desk or just an actual filing cabinet. Then I came across a thread that mentioned it's good to have "something on the go" incase of an emergency you could grab a binder and go.

Anyways, I'm going to buy the Redleaf Calendar keeper to give it a try. I also don't like receipts fading but if you don't let the sun shine on them and you don't put so many together they stick, they will usually stay "readable" for a year. I've thought about scanning receipts in, but hope I don't have to. I've seen the tv info-commerical late one night about scanning your receipts into the computer to elimate the paper mess, but if the system even went down you would need some proof. IDK, I'm hoping more people answer. It also is easier to plan ahead to have less receipts and do a little each money. Even if you don't sit down and record/organize it the same day like one PP stated, I would at least take the time weekly or bi weekly or you'll be stressed and forget things. For this reason in general, at home we use a "bucket" that we place things in if they require our attention soon. Then, when we have a chance we just retrieve what is in the bucket and take care of it (Pay a bill, put something on the calendar, etc) and this seems to work well for now.
MG&Lsmom 03:19 AM 01-12-2011
I have an expanding file folder thing for everything that is current. I keep copies of new enrollment forms in my file cabinet. But I don't have a huge influx of papers and receipts like others do. I never thought about the fact that it'd be a quick thing to grab in case of an emergency.

I transport kids to preschool in my car every day so I do keep photocopies of emergency medical forms and transport permission forms in my car, in the 1st Aid kit, and in the diaper bag so I don't have to remember to take a file with me. Murphy's Law you know. The one day I forget it is the one day I'll need it.
Tags:organizing, record keeping
Reply Up