Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Provider Being Shady
Unregistered 11:20 AM 06-02-2016
When I was in my third trimester of pregnancy with my daughter (first kid), I locked down an infant slot at a daycare center. The provider took a $300 deposit from me and said that deposit would cover the last 2 weeks of care for my daughter. (Meaning the 2 weeks after I gave my notice to leave.) Made sense to me. I never received any written handbook or written policies from the daycare center.

Right before my daughter started at the center at 6 weeks old, a spot became available at a home daycare. This home daycare is in an ideal location, I love the provider and the environment, and a good friend's daughter also attends there. Perfect. I gave my deposit for the home daycare slot. I got a handbook, and the provider sat and went over it with me when I visited her home.

As soon as I knew my daughter would be leaving, I notified the daycare center. (More than 2 weeks notice.) At that time, the provider told me I could not use my deposit for my daughter's last 2 weeks of care, because my daughter hadn't been enrolled for at least 3 months. Having no written handbook, this caught me off guard.

I have paid this provider $360 (the $300 initial deposit plus $60 for one day of care and one paid holiday). She wants $90 more to cover the other 3 days my daughter attended. She will not take the money out of my deposit. I'm pissed. As soon as she started pulling this shady stuff, I arranged other care for my daughter as much as I could. I'm strongly considering just not going back and not paying her the additional $90. I don't think it is right, because there was no written policy and she has already been paid!

My daughter starts at the wonderful home daycare on the 13th. I definitely learned from my mistakes at the first daycare and will not be repeating them! What would you advise?
Up