Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foster Parent vs First Time Parent
Leigh 08:23 AM 05-14-2016
Last night, I had two kids for respite care overnight. Their foster mom packed EVERYTHING they needed into a little diaper bag. I had a little laugh with myself about how different an experienced parent is vs. a new parent. I've had new parents try to bring what seemed like everything the child owned to daycare (and it takes more than one talk to get them to stop trying!), and this mom brought everything they needed (and more) in a tiny little bag.

At daycare, I provide everything, including diapers & wipes-I ask for only 3 changes of clothing that stays at my house, and tell them to leave everything else at home.

What have you had parents try to/want to bring to your house that their kids can't survive without?
finsup 09:04 AM 05-14-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Last night, I had two kids for respite care overnight. Their foster mom packed EVERYTHING they needed into a little diaper bag. I had a little laugh with myself about how different an experienced parent is vs. a new parent. I've had new parents try to bring what seemed like everything the child owned to daycare (and it takes more than one talk to get them to stop trying!), and this mom brought everything they needed (and more) in a tiny little bag.

At daycare, I provide everything, including diapers & wipes-I ask for only 3 changes of clothing that stays at my house, and tell them to leave everything else at home.

What have you had parents try to/want to bring to your house that their kids can't survive without?
Lol I would do this when my son went to his grandparents. Pack waaay more then he needed. Of course that was when he was still my only and I was a ftm I have had first time parents do that and actually get offended when I say "we don't need this." I provide everything now too and try and explain it to them as "oh, but you're morning will be so much easier" And in my head I'm thinking "and I won't have to worry about loosing the 15th toy you've brought...or the 3 sippy cups "just in case"... Or the spoons and bibs he just HAS to use..." Or the "here's a sleeve of diapers, I know they're snug but we really want to just use them up" (when the kiddo should have been in the next size up a week before).

I want to say just trust me, carrying around a 10lb diaper bag gets old, fast.
Thriftylady 09:24 AM 05-14-2016
Cereal bars. Because "she might get hungry and you don't have anything to feed her". SMH!
mommyneedsadayoff 09:53 AM 05-14-2016
I had a mom who brought a baby bathtub. I thought it was kind of funny and didn't want to embarrass her so I just put it in my closet and gave it back like 6 months later. I am not sure where I said in the interview that I would give her baby a bath daily, but I guess she wanted me to be prepared for everything!
Leigh 10:50 AM 05-14-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I had a mom who brought a baby bathtub. I thought it was kind of funny and didn't want to embarrass her so I just put it in my closet and gave it back like 6 months later. I am not sure where I said in the interview that I would give her baby a bath daily, but I guess she wanted me to be prepared for everything!
HAHAHA! That's a good one!
SignMeUp 10:50 AM 05-14-2016
All the usual, pacifiers, extra multiple pairs of "cute" shoes, rigid plastic bibs, toys, huge-mongous blankets.

But the one that took the cake for me: a bowl potty for me to hold their 5 month old over for urinating and defecating.
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 05-14-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:

I would think foster kids need stuff that is "mine" and ONLY mine due to their being uprooted and probably scared and aftraid... etc

Even something as familiar as a baby bathtub might bring some comfort or sense of familiarity.
Who knows... I cant even imagine how traumatizing it would be as a child to be thrust into a completely foreign environment with nothing that even resembles "home"

... And being foster kids... I wonder what their version of home is.
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 05-14-2016
@Leigh

I know you were just chuckling over the humor in it..

I wasn't trying to be a Debbie Downer

Just grew up with foster kids in/out of my home.
Makes me automatically feel for them.
Leigh 02:37 PM 05-14-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
@Leigh

I know you were just chuckling over the humor in it..

I wasn't trying to be a Debbie Downer

Just grew up with foster kids in/out of my home.
Makes me automatically feel for them.
They're 5 months and 18 months. I've had them here before. The older one is very outgoing and adaptable-I'm guessing he hasn't ever had consistent caregivers because he just goes with the flow whereever he goes.
Tags:foster
Reply Up