Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents who are late!!!!
delferka 07:36 AM 07-27-2012
I have one child who's hours are 7:15 to 5. My other children come at 8-8:30. This childs parent don't have the decency to call if they are going to be late. I don't know about you, but most people like to know when their work day begins. This child ends up here at 8:15. An hour later them I expected. I could have gotten a ton of stuff done in that time. Maybe even a morning shower? Do you think they have to right to come when they want? Is it hard to just pop a text to me?
sahm2three 07:39 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by delferka:
I have one child who's hours are 7:15 to 5. My other children come at 8-8:30. This childs parent don't have the decency to call if they are going to be late. I don't know about you, but most people like to know when their work day begins. This child ends up here at 8:15. An hour later them I expected. I could have gotten a ton of stuff done in that time. Maybe even a morning shower? Do you think they have to right to come when they want? Is it hard to just pop a text to me?
I am dealing with the very same thing. I am instituting a Late Fee. If they are late by 15 mins or more with no text or call, I will charge them $10 per hour they are late. If they just don't show up, they get charged for the day like a drop in. I am tired of being disrespected! I feel your pain. I think they believe we are at their beckon call. Not any more!
cheerfuldom 07:40 AM 07-27-2012
let them know that they need to keep you informed if they are dropping off late in the morning. there is no reason why they cant send a quick text if they can see clearly that they arent going to be there at 7:15. if they keep dropping off later than the agreed time with no notice of the change, you will have to start charging them a late drop off fee OR they can change their morning drop off time to 8:15 permanently which means that they will not be able to show up early anymore but do not need to notify you each day.

write up a simple letter to them. its there choice if they want to start racking up fees.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 07-27-2012
If someone arrives later than their scheduled time (15 minutes) without a call to let me know, I don't accept them into care that day.

I tell them that I thought they were a no-show and no longer have space for them. Calling only takes a second. NO excuse for that IMPO.

No late fees charged, just no care provided that day.
SunshineMama 07:47 AM 07-27-2012
I am having the exact same issue. Today the kid showed up at 10:00, and everyday he is supposed to be here at 7:30. He hasnt come at 7:30 in months.

I am working up the nerve to tell them that I am changing his time. He came at 7:45 once in the past 2-3 months.

People are so rude. I wake up everyday early to be ready at 7:30 because I am professional. I feel like the one time I am not ready they will come on time.

I hate the rudeness of this profession.
DaisyMamma 07:52 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I am having the exact same issue. Today the kid showed up at 10:00, and everyday he is supposed to be here at 7:30. He hasnt come at 7:30 in months.

I am working up the nerve to tell them that I am changing his time. He came at 7:45 once in the past 2-3 months.

People are so rude. I wake up everyday early to be ready at 7:30 because I am professional. I feel like the one time I am not ready they will come on time.

I hate the rudeness of this profession.
In your case I would ask for an official change of arrival time to when the other kids get there.

As for original post I would write a letter to all parents and do what Blackcat is saying. Of course they still have to pay if they come or not.
Truly Scrumptious 07:56 AM 07-27-2012
My parents have contracted hours, so they are usually pretty good about calling if they are running late in the mornings. I have a clause in my contract that says if parents are consistently early...I will change their hours to their typical hours. For instance, I had a mom that needed to be in care at 7am, so that's what I wrote in the blank on the contract. But every morning she would roll in at 7:05, 7:06, 7:07, etc...(with no phone call).
I don't like this at all, especially when you are the first one of the day....I want my five minutes!
I understand that sometimes "life" causes everyone to run a little late...so I didn't fuss at her right away.
My parents have to sign in and out, so I let about 2 weeks pass and then I had a talk with her and informed her that I had changed her arrival time to 7:05 since according to the sign in sheet, that was the time she was consistently getting to day care.
That did the trick.
I don't like parents that want to pick an early arrival time "just in case" they need it, but then stroll in much later. That's why I ask parents what their work hours are and where they work, so I can figure out what times they need including a fair commute time.
littlemissmuffet 08:17 AM 07-27-2012
If a parent doesn't call me within 20 minutes of the child's usual drop-off time to let me know they will be late or absent they are charged a $10 inconvenience fee.
MaritimeMummy 11:42 AM 07-27-2012
This is not an unreasonable expectation. I deal with this, only from one parent, but it has been ongoing since she started last September. Just shows up when she feels like it. Some mornings she will call or email if she is going to be late, but it's not consistent, and more often than not I am left wondering if she is going to show up, if I should bother taking the kids for a walk. It seriously screws up the younger kids morning naps and my routine. I have it in my handbook that I require a phone call to let me know if they are going to be more than 30 minutes late.

Anyway, after the DCM and I butted heads over many policies, since she is now leaving come next week I am just letting it all slide and water under the bridge. The hilarious thing is that she is moving so she is looking for child care where she is moving to. She is opting for a licensed, large centre. She told me that she is happy she has found care, but, in her words, "WOW, the RULES! Can't take toys, have to be there by 9am every morning or else there is a penalty, and I have to pick her up by 5:30 or else I have to pay $15 every minute I'm not there! Can you imagine?!" All the while I was chuckling to myself thinking, 'and you seriously thought you had it bad with me, lady? dropping her off and picking her up whenever you felt like it, and trying to tell me you shouldn't have to pay a full-day rate because you chose not to come until noon? Not my fault you wanted to sleep in..."
Crazy8 12:23 PM 07-27-2012
this is a struggle for me too. I do have in my contract that you need to call if going to be more than 15 min. late (I wouldn't fuss about 5 or even 10 minutes) but my problem is the ones that do call and tell me they will be late, it is STILL a disruption to my day and I want to start charging for that. Or I hate when I get out of the shower to a text that my 7am kid isn't coming or is coming later - meaning I could have slept another hour!! But I haven't figured out a solution for that one!
Tags:late arrivals, late drop offs, late policies
Reply Up