Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Poll--Who is at Capacity?
Unregistered 06:04 PM 06-08-2010
I'm getting ready to open my daycare. I was wondering if I should not count on working at capacity? (Meaning not count on the money).

Who's at capacity?

Who's not at capacity? by choice or not by choice (I can have 6 kids, but I'm thinking of taking in only 3 at this time until I get my feet wet).

Thanks! :-)
MarinaVanessa 06:32 PM 06-08-2010
That's what I did and I'm glad that I did it that way. Actually I started with 1 (an infant) and then added 2 more 2 months later. Eventually I added another 2 and then when I felt comfortable I thought "What's one more" and been full since then... I'm full capacity now 6mo, 10mo, 18mo, 2yo(almost 3), 5yo and 9 yo.
Greenshadow 06:59 PM 06-08-2010
I started with one child and got a call pretty quick for a second. Within two weeks, I had four! I can legally have 6. I have a 2 year old of my own so I have 5 full time now but have two more starting in the Fall. (One that I have now will be leaving in the Fall for preschool so I'll still be legal with 6).
Anna 07:08 PM 06-08-2010
I have four and am allowed 6. I just opened in January and only wanted to have four. I now wouldn't mind taking in another but haven't had any calls in a while.. I noticed that all the home daycares in my area are heavily advertising so I feel like no one is currently looking for care but I am the only licensed one so I am hoping that works in my favor.

Good luck to you!!
Momma In MT 07:13 PM 06-08-2010
I think it depends on how you get along with the kids. I am not licensed and so I have no limit legally, but I have 5 full time and 8 to 10 part time and I get 2 to 4 calls a month. I actually have a waiting list and I never advertise. It is all word of mouth. I figure parents going to give my name to somebody they don't want their kids playing with. So far I have had great luck with this method.
Anna 07:21 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Momma In MT:
I am not licensed and so I have no limit legally
Your state doesn't have a law on how many children you can watch without being licensed?

I think it depends on how you get along with the kids.
Not to be confrontational but I disagree. I guess it depends on the area. Here there are a ton of Daycares. There are three in my neighborhood alone and a countless amount in my city. I get along with children great (hence being a childcare provider) and I don't have people lining up at my door. I think if you live in a small town word of mouth would work great but not on an over populated island.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:22 PM 06-08-2010
In NY if all are over 2 years old we can have 6 plus 2 school age. If any are under 2 that drops a slot so we can have 5 plus 2 school age. If we have any kids of our own under school age they count and take a slot.

Right now I have 1 spot open but will be full in the summer with a part timer.

I have an 18 month old, 2 year old, 4 year old, 6 year old, and 9 year old...my own 4 year old counts so that's 6 out of my 7 slots.

I also have my own 4 kids...all girls....age 13, 10, 6, and 4 (as mentioned above).

So I'm pretty busy! I liked it better when I wasn't running so full, but the money is nice. Summer is going to be CRAZY, but I'm taking a week to myself in Aug. I can't wait! I would suggest starting out small to get the hang of organizing and getting things running smoothly. Good luck!
momofboys 07:35 PM 06-08-2010
I think it depends on how you get along with the kids. I am not licensed and so I have no limit legally, but I have 5 full time and 8 to 10 part time and I get 2 to 4 calls a month. I actually have a waiting list and I never advertise. It is all word of mouth. I figure parents going to give my name to somebody they don't want their kids playing with. So far I have had great luck with this method.
Wow! That's a lot of kids!! Do you have helpers?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:35 PM 06-08-2010
I have 10 full time and 3 school agers, I have a waiting list of 4 seperate families and when my one full timer goes to school this fall I have a mommy preg to replace him.
momofboys 07:37 PM 06-08-2010
I can have 6 in my state, well actually only 5 because one of my own kids is under 6. We don't have to be licensed in my state though. I currently just have 2 kids that I care for (I have 3 kids of my own). So yes, I could have more but I am happy with that number & don't wish to expand.
QualiTcare 07:40 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Anna:
Your state doesn't have a law on how many children you can watch without being licensed?

Not to be confrontational but I disagree. I guess it depends on the area. Here there are a ton of Daycares. There are three in my neighborhood alone and a countless amount in my city. I get along with children great (hence being a childcare provider) and I don't have people lining up at my door. I think if you live in a small town word of mouth would work great but not on an over populated island.
most states do have a law on how many you can watch without being licensed. in TN you can have four and then you have to get licensed if you have more than that. if there were no laws, there would be no need for anyone to be licensed. of course having a law and following it are different things.
MarinaVanessa 08:06 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
in TN you can have four and then you have to get licensed if you have more than that.
Wow, that's nice. In CA we don't have a number limit but can only watch one family's kids at a time. So if she has 10 kids we can watch 10, if she has only 1 kid then we can only watch the one kid. Unless it's family, then we can watch as many of our own families kids as we want to (nieces, nephews, cousins, grandkids etc) but then can't watch another families kids at the same time.
professionalmom 08:10 PM 06-08-2010
In 2007, I was planning on doing daycare. I was doing all the investigating, planning, etc. Then I found out I was pregnant. So I spent my pregnancy (when I wasn't at my office job) jumping through all the hoops to get licensed. I opened when my DD was 5 weeks old. I only took on a 6 mth old and 2 sisters (13 mths & 3 yrs). The sisters were super easy and the 6 mth old was just as easy. Counting my DD, I had 4 for almost a year before I decided to grow. But it gave me time to adjust to full time motherhood, nursing, running a business, etc. Then once you get into a groove, it's much easier to add another child to the mix. You do get to a point where you think "what's one more?"

There have been times when I had 10 DCKs, but a different times and on different days so I never went over capacity. But I also had extended hours and worked 7 days a week. Then I had to scale back a bit to prevent burn-out.

Now, pregnant with twins, I'm going back to being cautious of taking on too much because I know it will be a big adjustment to add 2 new people to our family. So I am scaling back a bit and am not at capacity (but I will be when the twins get here!).
Unregistered 08:24 PM 06-08-2010
Thanks for everyone's response.

It sounds like one of the benefits to owning a daycare is the flexibility. I can have a smaller group or run at capacity depending on where I am at in life.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm so excited and I can't wait to get started!!
MarinaVanessa 08:28 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
So I am scaling back a bit and am not at capacity (but I will be when the twins get here!).
It's nice to work things out and get ready for the babies isn't it. I'm due in late November so even though I'm at capacity now when the baby comes I'll still be ok since one of my infants will be over age 2 and not counted as an infant anymore (we have a 3 infant maximum) and the 9yo will be 10 so he won't count towards capacity anyway. I'll have 7 kids but the 9yo is only here for a few hours after school and then does his homework on his own and then just plays with the other kids anyway so he's more of a helper than anything.
Momma In MT 08:58 PM 06-08-2010
FYI I am in a city of 150,000 and there are 3 other daycares within one block.

Yes there are laws were I live, but I choose not be license. Here I can only have 3 kids (this includes my own). I have 3 kids of my own so technically I can't have any kids. I do run my daycare as a business, ie. pay taxes etc. I also tell the parents right up front that I am not licensed and it is the first line on the paperwork, in bold and italics, I give parents. I am very open about it so the parents are aware and have the right to choose whether they come to me or a licensed facility. I do not have a helper over the summer. I was a kindergarten classroom teacher for 10 years before choosing to stay home. There my numbers were 27-31 students with no aide. So to have 10 at the most at any one time is a piece of cake. As long as you keep them busy and have actives planned and follow a tight schedule things usually run smooth. During the school year I do a formal preschool. I have a helper that comes in for 2 hrs a day to watch the babies so that I can focus on the preschool.
Anna 09:13 PM 06-08-2010
Yes there are laws were I live, but I choose not be license. Here I can only have 3 kids (this includes my own). I have 3 kids of my own so technically I can't have any kids.
That's what I was refering to when I quoted you on saying "I am not licensed and so I have no limit legally". Legally there is a limit, you are just choosing not to follow the law.

I am happy that word of mouth works for you but I don't think it has anything to do with getting along with children. Saying that how many children want to come to your daycare "depends on how you get along with the kids" is not correct. That's like saying that us providers who are not at capacity and wish to be, are not full because we don't get along with kids.. which I think is untrue. I think there are other factors like where you live, how long you have been open, etc. The OP will have to advertise. She is not going to all of a sudden be full without advertising. I would think when you first opened that you had to advertise as well.
Tin Blues 05:13 AM 06-09-2010
I recently opened my registered home daycare here in Montana. Started advertising in early March. Got my first kid in mid-April. I'm at capacity now with 6 kids.

twin 13 month old girls
2 and half year old boy
3 yr. old boy
5 and a half year old girl
5 and a half year old boy

The 5 year olds will be starting kindergarten in August, so will be in the position of having two spots to fill.

It took longer than I expected to get children. But I believe it was because I refused to accept part-time children. The kids I have now are all contracted for M-F, 45 hours a week.

To the op, word of mouth makes a tremendous difference with how quickly you fill up with kids. Tell everybody you know about your daycare. Good luck
professionalmom 05:20 AM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by Anna:
That's what I was refering to when I quoted you on saying "I am not licensed and so I have no limit legally". Legally there is a limit, you are just choosing not to follow the law.

I am happy that word of mouth works for you but I don't think it has anything to do with getting along with children. Saying that how many children want to come to your daycare "depends on how you get along with the kids" is not correct. That's like saying that us providers who are not at capacity and wish to be, are not full because we don't get along with kids.. which I think is untrue. I think there are other factors like where you live, how long you have been open, etc. The OP will have to advertise. She is not going to all of a sudden be full without advertising. I would think when you first opened that you had to advertise as well.
Actually I took the phrase "depends on how you get along with the kids" to mean the specific children. Everyone has personality traits and some just don't blend very well. Or the child isn't a good fit for the group. Although the way it was worded could leave it open for interruption and it could have been worded differently, this is what I thought she meant.

I have definitely had children that I could not continue with because of their specific personalities, disabilities, temperaments, etc. And the sad thing is that as soon as you advertise as a new daycare, the parents of "problem" children (doing the daycare hop) will pounce on you like fresh meat. Then you think you're at capacity, only to have to drop some. I'm a former victim quickly learning how to be tougher and growing a business backbone!
Unregistered 05:39 AM 06-09-2010
When I had my licenses in Maryland I could have 8 children and if any of my kids where under the age of 5 they counted I was licensed for 5 years and I know the first year I had 6 dck's, 2nd year I had 6 dck's, 3rd year I had 7 dck's, and the 4th year I had 6 dck's again, and my 5th year I had 2 dck;s because I was having a baby and I got rid of 2, 2 where siblings and moved and the other 2 siblings stayed. I now live in NC and do not have a licenses and can watch 2 kids without a license and I have 2.
Vesta 05:49 AM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:

I have definitely had children that I could not continue with because of their specific personalities, disabilities, temperaments, etc. And the sad thing is that as soon as you advertise as a new daycare, the parents of "problem" children (doing the daycare hop) will pounce on you like fresh meat. Then you think you're at capacity, only to have to drop some. I'm a former victim quickly learning how to be tougher and growing a business backbone!
There should be some sort of class, other than the school of hard knocks, about how to help new providers with this mess.
***********Daycare hoppers 101************
Little Bobby is 3 and has been in 4 different daycares... learn the possible reasons why.
Donna is a single mom just starting a new job... learn how to find out how much money she owes the 5 other providers she's used this line on.
Learn why you're not a bad provider because you are not able to handle a "problem child" and successfully meet the needs of other children in your care.
Learn why trial periods in you contract are golden.

Anyway
I'm at capacity, as I always am during the summer. I have 10 plus my own enrolled. I can only have up to 8 on any given day (I don't keep children younger than 2).
By not taking babies, I kind of shoot myself in the foot. All except 2 of my younger kids will be starting Kindergarten this fall.
I have 2 more lined up to start mid-August.
I will keep advertising until I take in 1 more child, because I'm not comfortable having more than 5 during the day (Summertime being the exception, because I dial back the daily schedule).
originalkat 06:32 AM 06-09-2010
I am a registered home so that means I can have 6 kids including my own. I am at capacity with 4 full-time plus my 2 children. I have 1 person on a waiting list.
Lianne 06:42 AM 06-09-2010
I'm at capacity but it took 3 1/2 years to get here. I have six kids registered and 4-5 here each day.
judytrickett 06:42 AM 06-09-2010
I'm at capacity. I'm always at capacity. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at capacity.
emosks 07:13 AM 06-09-2010
We were at capacity pretty much right away. We are licensed for 12. We have a few part time spots open only for the summer and early fall but in December when we get 2 infants of current families we'll be full!!
sahm2three 08:01 AM 06-09-2010
Well, I am when I have my occasional drop-ins. I have 8 plus my own kids. I don't have to count my two older kids, but do have to count my youngest. So I have three drop-ins that come from time to time, so I am leaving a spot for them. 8 is more than I want most days! LOL!
momma2girls 08:49 AM 06-09-2010
I have 3 fulltime during the school year, but only one parttime in the summer.
Daycare Mommy 09:26 AM 06-09-2010
I'm working below capacity (4 out of 5) right now but trying to fill the slot.

When I was licensed and was allowed 8 I quickly realized that 5 is my personal limit without hiring an assistant, so I only kept 5 even though I could have made much more. Wasn't worth it to me. It was a zoo!
Liliya 09:59 AM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I'm working below capacity (4 out of 5) right now but trying to fill the slot.

When I was licensed and was allowed 8 I quickly realized that 5 is my personal limit without hiring an assistant, so I only kept 5 even though I could have made much more. Wasn't worth it to me. It was a zoo!
5 is my favorite number too,but I am licensed for 7,I just found out that in my state (TN) I can have 7 to myself including my own,but if I have a helper I can have 7 unrelated plus 5 related, I think it is not right,because kids are kids,related to you or not,they need a same care,right?
I am doing childcare for more then 3 years now and I am full for past 2 years.
mismatchedsocks 10:02 AM 06-09-2010
I am licensed and am allowed 8 kids plus my own 7 and 11 year old. I am at capacity and hope I will be for while. I have two moms who are preggo and two drop ins that would love to be fulltimers if I had the room.

Good luck!
Janet 10:25 AM 06-09-2010
Somehow, I have managed to build my business on mostly having part time kids. I have 2 full time dcgs and I have a dcg that is Mon, Tues. & Thur. I also have a dcb that is Tue, Wed, & Thur. I have 2 dcks (siblings) that are Mon. through Fri. from 7:45 until 12:30. Then I also have a dcb who is a kindergartener who comes to me at 12:15 until 4:15 on the days when his mom and dad are working and I have the space for him. Otherwise he goes with his grandparents. Once the school year begins, I will have a different schedule again and this summer, I will have yet a different schedule. I am almost always at capacity and if I'm not, I'm only one under. 3 of my kids leave by 1:00pm, so my afternoons are usually pretty light, but mornings are always nice and busy! Capacity here in MI is 6 kids, with no more than 2 under the age of 18 months. I have a daughter, but she doesn't count in my capacity because she's 14 years old.
Tags:capacity
Reply Up