Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlock vs Locked
melonieb 04:00 AM 04-01-2014
I have a question: Do yall leave your doors unlock during drop off and pick ups or leave the doors lock and have the parent knock. I have one parent that just walks in the door, so I am constantly locking my door. No I dont live in a bad neighborhood, ny husband insists that I leave the door locked. Advice
MissAnn 04:12 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by melonieb:
I have a question: Do yall leave your doors unlock during drop off and pick ups or leave the doors lock and have the parent knock. I have one parent that just walks in the door, so I am constantly locking my door. No I dont live in a bad neighborhood, ny husband insists that I leave the door locked. Advice
Unlocked at drop off and pickup. Locked after breakfast and until after nap. Locked if we are outside after snack with a note on the door that we are outside.
Cradle2crayons 04:42 AM 04-01-2014
I leave mine unlocked because I don't have parent issues and because I know before someone ever gets halfway up the driveway.
melonieb 04:51 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Unlocked at drop off and pickup. Locked after breakfast and until after nap. Locked if we are outside after snack with a note on the door that we are outside.
I might try that, because all my families come in at one time and leave at one time. Thanks
melonieb 04:52 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I leave mine unlocked because I don't have parent issues and because I know before someone ever gets halfway up the driveway.
Normally I do know when they get here and I try to beat her to the door, but if I am busy, she tries to come in without hesitation.
Mister Sir Husband 05:03 AM 04-01-2014
I will leave the door into my basement open during drop off as I want them to use that one but after the last kid is here they are all locked. Plus I have a 250ft driveway so there is little chance that I will have any surprise visitors at my door. I would actually prefer they walk in rather than knock. I may actually be upstairs cooking breakfast and having them walk in and even bring the kids upstairs if that's where I am is easier for me. I will however have them push the doorbell down there as they enter just in case they were able to make my driveway in stealth mode and I somehow didn't see them.
MyAngels 05:29 AM 04-01-2014
There are other threads on this, too, if you're interested. Just click the tag at the bottom left to find them.

Personally, I leave mine unlocked & parents are free to walk in without knocking. I think I'm in the minority, though.
CraftyMom 05:37 AM 04-01-2014
I keep mine locked. I don't like anyone walking right in. It is still my home and it makes me uncomfortable. I had a couple of parents that would always come right in, I never got used to people walking right into my house, creeps me out for some reason. Sometimes we are in the living room, where I can't se the entry door, and suddenly there are people walking through my house. I don't like that lol.

Also I keep it locked because my door is way to easy for kids to open, it's a lever handle, and they open it right up. I don't want kids escaping or letting the dog out
NoMoreJuice! 05:41 AM 04-01-2014
Mine are always locked, no matter what! I can not handle parents walking in my house without my knowledge/permission. I have an open door policy, meaning that they are allowed in my house at any time during daycare hours, but they have to knock or ring the doorbell.
They also know that this is for their child's protection as well as for privacy. I wouldn't want a stranger walking in my house with kids there (or ever) and my address is posted online for all to see.
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 04-01-2014
More threads about locking doors or leaving them unlocked.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=locked+doors
caregiver 06:11 AM 04-01-2014
Since I live in a Metro area, I leave my door unlocked at drop off and pick up, but have it locked the rest of the day. My parents have said that they are glad that I have the door locked all day.
snbauser 06:16 AM 04-01-2014
Unlocked during drop offs until last child is here. Then locked until after naptime.
Crazy8 06:19 AM 04-01-2014
usually unlocked when I am expecting drop offs/pick ups and then locked after they are all here or in between if its a while between drop offs, but sometimes I will have the big door open with just the screen door locked.
Rachel 06:27 AM 04-01-2014
Locked, all the time. After I let a parent in I lock it after he or she leaves.
KidGrind 06:31 AM 04-01-2014
I always keep my doors locked and the alarm system on. Due to a simple case of an unlocked window or door is often times a victim is chosen. I would hate a simple unlocked door to be the reason my family and daycare children become the prey of some criminal.
Cradle2crayons 06:33 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I will leave the door into my basement open during drop off as I want them to use that one but after the last kid is here they are all locked. Plus I have a 250ft driveway so there is little chance that I will have any surprise visitors at my door. I would actually prefer they walk in rather than knock. I may actually be upstairs cooking breakfast and having them walk in and even bring the kids upstairs if that's where I am is easier for me. I will however have them push the doorbell down there as they enter just in case they were able to make my driveway in stealth mode and I somehow didn't see them.
Same thing here... Plus I have a driveway alarm... And a mini weenie dog alarm... He tells me when someone turns in my 250 yard driveway lol.. He actually alarms first... Then the driveway alarm as they enter the gate at the road...
Second Home 06:39 AM 04-01-2014
My state regs require that all exit doors be unlocked during daycare hours . Unless you have the type of lock that allows you to get out (without having to unlock it) but not come in.

Do I agree with it - NO .

I have a policy that no one is to open my door and walk in . That is one thing I don't tolerate , you do it once and are warned twice and you are looking for other care.
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
My state regs require that all exit doors be unlocked during daycare hours . Unless you have the type of lock that allows you to get out (without having to unlock it) but not come in.

Do I agree with it - NO .

I have a policy that no one is to open my door and walk in . That is one thing I don't tolerate , you do it once and are warned twice and you are looking for other care.
I can see this being completely area based.

I am having the same issue with one of my parents, just from the opposite angle....If they keep knocking instead of just coming in every day, I am going to lose it.....

STOP knocking!!!
Kabob 06:47 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I can see this being completely area based.

I am having the same issue with one of my parents, just from the opposite angle....If they keep knocking instead of just coming in every day, I am going to lose it.....

STOP knocking!!!
This is me. My newest family will let her kids knock and knock and knock and then press the doorbell repeatedly without pause. I had dh uninstall the darn thing and told dcm to knock it off. They know better.
MarinaVanessa 07:00 AM 04-01-2014
I keep my doors locked always. My door has a handle instead of a door knob that is always unlocked from the inside even if it's locked from the outside. It has a keypad though and I give my clients their own code to get in which only works during their scheduled hours. If I wanted to keep clients from just walking in or if I didn't have this handle i'd also just keep my door locked and unlock it when my clients were scheduled to arrive.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:41 AM 04-01-2014
My doors are unlocked, and parents are expected to walk right in. That's what's most comfortable and workable for me (safe neighborhood, want a community feeling, don't want to be interrupted to open the door, want kids to be able to get out easily in an emergency...). I made sure to spell it out clearly in my handbook, and that's what I would recommend for anyone, whatever's most comfortable for them. Mine has a section called "information you'll need on a daily basis," which spells out everything I want them to know about what to bring, what to do on arrival, etc. The door section reads "During open hours, feel free to come right in through the side door—no need to knock." Most of my parents are very respectful about coming in without knocking when I'm with kids, but knocking at other times (if they return after pick-up to get a forgotten item, for example).
choirlady76 10:47 AM 04-01-2014
At my center, all of the doors lock automatically. A staff member has to answer. It's for all of our safety.
mema 10:47 AM 04-01-2014
My doors are usually locked. I tell them in the interview to knock and I will come to the door. I also have in my handbook that children are not to knock or hang on the door. The parent is responsible for knocking and opening. If it gets to be excessive knocking or the kids start pounding, I just remind them, one knock from mom or dad is enough. Most of the time I am up there at drop off and hear them and unlock and open the door. At pick up, if we are not outside, we are usually up by the door getting ready. Everyone is usually picked up within 5-10 minutes of each other. If a parent is early, they knock. We are in a safe neighborhood, but you never know.
misslori50 02:42 PM 04-01-2014
my doors are unlocked in the mornings and after nap. My parents are very respectful they knock then come in.
TwinKristi 04:04 PM 04-01-2014
Usually locked and I don't allow "walk-ins", I prefer people just knock. I don't like people just walking in.
KiddieCahoots 04:13 PM 04-01-2014
My doors are always locked.
I understand the safety behind leaving the doors unlocked for a quick emergency exit, but wouldn't we be with the kids anyway to unlock the door?
Just like most schools and centers that use the buzzer to let visitors in.....I'd rather have the locked door between me and someone who could potentially do harm to the kids and I.
Like it was said before...."you never know".
Meeko 04:17 PM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Mine are always locked, no matter what! I can not handle parents walking in my house without my knowledge/permission. I have an open door policy, meaning that they are allowed in my house at any time during daycare hours, but they have to knock or ring the doorbell.
They also know that this is for their child's protection as well as for privacy. I wouldn't want a stranger walking in my house with kids there (or ever) and my address is posted online for all to see.
This exactly.
Meeko 05:25 PM 04-01-2014
The thought of a stranger just walking into my house gives me the creeps. I have had people look up my address online and just show up and try to open the door. So glad my door was locked.
jenboo 05:32 PM 04-01-2014
My parents come through my side yard and then through a sliding glass door into the daycare room/kitchen.
The door is unlocked during drop off and pick ups and locked during the day. I have an alarm system and have it set to chime when a door opens (says which door is open then beeps). I lock it during drop off and pick up if I have to leave the children unattended (I have to change a diaper... Go to the bathroom...).
I tell my parents to just come right in. No need to knock or ring the doorbell unless the door is locked. Makes it easier for everyone. There are no surprises because we ate only in the room that the sliding door leads to and I can see/hear them coming down my side yard.
Tags:locked doors
Reply Up