Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Little Ones Outside
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:25 PM 01-08-2016
I live on the second floor of an apartment and so far I hadn't had any trouble getting the kids outside each day. But I took on a new little one and I now have two who would need carried down the stairs. One of the two is two years old, but very behind on motor skills and can't manage the stairs without a LOT of help from me. I've been having her walk up and down the steps while holding my hand, but I have to pretty much lower her down to each step or she'll fall. Same thing coming back up, having to lift her up to the next step. If I'm holding a non walker, I'm not sure how I'll be able to get both of them down and back up the stairs while also holding the umbrella stroller. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions I might have not thought of? I also need a way to keep the two year old with me (and not running away from me) while I'm trying to push the stroller. The others are pretty independent and can be trusted to walk with me. I'm determined to find a way to make this work because outside time is non negotiable with me
Thriftylady 03:37 PM 01-08-2016
How old is the little one? Is a sling an option?
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:04 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
How old is the little one? Is a sling an option?
The youngest is ten months. That's a good idea. You're talking about one of those baby wearing things, where you wear the baby on your chest or back, right? I wonder if she'd be as happy with that as she is in the stroller... I'd hate to pay that much money to find she doesn't like it
Thriftylady 05:41 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
The youngest is ten months. That's a good idea. You're talking about one of those baby wearing things, where you wear the baby on your chest or back, right? I wonder if she'd be as happy with that as she is in the stroller... I'd hate to pay that much money to find she doesn't like it
Maybe you could find a used one or something. She could still go in the stroller outside if she wanted, but it would help with carrying. I just can't think of any other really good ideas.
laundrymom 06:33 PM 01-08-2016
I would carry the baby, facing out and teach the two ur old how to do stairs. It would take a week or two but would solve your problem
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:12 AM 01-09-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would carry the baby, facing out and teach the two ur old how to do stairs. It would take a week or two but would solve your problem
I've been working with the two year old on how to do stairs since she started with me in October. She is on a varying days schedule and there has even been a week or more go by without having her throughout the holidays when dcm's work was limited. I expect her to start back regularly now that it's January, though. So with her not being here consistently I'm sure that has affected her with accomplishing the stairs, but she is also really behind with her motor skills. She even walks like a new walker. So although I always have her walking when going up or down the stairs, she requires a LOT of help. I'm pretty much just lowering her down each step while holding onto her hand, otherwise she'd fall if I didn't have a tight grip on her. I haven't seen any improvement in this area (dcm and dcd pretty much carry her everywhere). So for now I'll need to be able to carry the ten month old, the stroller, and hold onto dcg's hand and lower her down each step, all without losing my own balance. I mean until I figure something out. I'm hoping to find a baby sling to try out, because I'm sure that would help
Controlled Chaos 11:50 AM 01-09-2016
I used to watch 5 kids (2 infants) in a 3rd story walk up - I feel for you! I would put the smaller child in a baby carrier (moby/bjorn/ergo etc) and then have my hands free to eith carry another baby on my hip, or to coach an older toddler down the stairs. I would also put babies in pac n plays, carry the double stroller downstairs, then take on baby down at a time to the stroller. Hope this helps.
Laurel 12:21 PM 01-09-2016
Is there a way to leave the umbrella stroller at the bottom of the stairs or are you afraid it might be stolen? If your car is at home, could you put it in the trunk and get it out for each walk once you are all down the steps?

What I did when a child couldn't be trusted to stay with us when we walk is pop them in a stroller. I had a double stroller though. Is that an option? I got one at a garage sale (a nice one) for $25 and used it for years. Garage sales are the best place to find baby stuff of any kind because a baby quickly grows out of them. If they couldn't be trusted to hold onto the side of the stroller handle and obey verbal commands then they went in the stroller.

A baby sling would be the safest way to get down although I never cared for them personally. But I would do it for just up and down and then transfer baby to the stroller. My concern with them was always my back and it getting sore carrying a baby. But just up and down I could even do.
laundrymom 04:29 PM 01-09-2016
Maybe sling her on your back? And carry baby?
rosieteddy 07:50 AM 01-11-2016
I would teach her to go backwards up and down.All the DC kids had to go up and down the playroom stairs that way.Turn her around and you walk in front guiding.....Coming home she crawls up.I would put the stroller at bottom first then bring kids down..I did use a sling for infants just to get down.I used a safety strap on stroller with child secured.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:44 AM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would teach her to go backwards up and down.All the DC kids had to go up and down the playroom stairs that way.Turn her around and you walk in front guiding.....Coming home she crawls up.I would put the stroller at bottom first then bring kids down..I did use a sling for infants just to get down.I used a safety strap on stroller with child secured.
What kind of safety strap? How did you secure it to the child? That's a good idea to teach her to go down the stairs backwards. I've been trying to keep her from putting her hands down on the carpet of the stairs because it's so dirty and the manager of the apartments doesn't seem to care about vacuuming or cleaning the entrance to the apartments. He's great at taking care of the inside of the apartments. They're older apartments built in '72, but the apartment units themselves where we live are in great shape. It's just the entrance hallway and stairs that he doesn't bother with so they get pretty dirty for my taste. But I may have to have her to go ahead and use her hands and touch the carpet, and I'll just wash her hands really well when we get back in.
rosieteddy 09:38 AM 01-11-2016
I always put little gloves on them to go out.Walmart for 1.00$.The strap goes around the wrist it is stretchy ,but not to much.I LOOP IT ON STROLLER HANDLE AND THEY STILL HAVE TO HOLD ON.i PUT A STICKER ON STROLLER SIDE AS A VISUAL SO THEY COULD SEE WHERE TO PUT THEIR HAND.(sorry about capitals).You could have one of the older kids wipe down the stairs with a damp rag on way down.
Reply Up