Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does it Bother You...
DancingQueen 05:33 AM 10-18-2010
When a child is dropped off and you can SMELL the Motrin /Tylenol on their breath?

Happened today. dcg dropped off in good mood. Mom said she has a nasty cough but other than that she is fine. She did say if she didn't feel well to call her and she'd come and get her.
Lilbutterflie 05:41 AM 10-18-2010
Yes, it bothers me! But I have been trying really hard to not let it get under my skin. There isn't anything I can really do about DCP's giving tylenol/motrin to mask or prevent a fever before coming to daycare.
Bizzymom1111 05:52 AM 10-18-2010
I agree! All you can do is wait for the Tylenol to wear off, take their temp. and if it's up there, call mom to come get her. That's what I had to do with one mom, and after three times(seperate) of me calling her to pick him up, she quit giving him Tylenol in the morning, and just kept him home when he was sick. If you enforce your policy every time, and are consistant, hopefully they'll get it and give up trying to pull these things on you. Good luck!!
AfterSchoolMom 07:47 AM 10-18-2010
Why would they give tylenol for a cough? I'd say that it's more than obvious that they're masking a fever. How is she now?
SilverSabre25 08:12 AM 10-18-2010
I do have to say that I've given my DD Motrin for a cough and it helped--she was coughing enough that she couldn't sleep and the motrin coated her throat and made her able to sleep, plus the cough was hurting her throat and the Motrin took the pain away for her.

But, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if they were masking a fever. But there are other possible explanations.
missnikki 08:42 AM 10-18-2010
I seem to be cut & paste happy today- Here's what I had to give one mom who dosed up her kid so she could go to work, and not be reachable for over 6 hours (For the 2nd time that week!!!)

Dear (parent's name), June 10, 2010

This letter is to serve as a reminder of our policy on sick children at daycare. Your signed acknowledgement is required in order for (child's name) to continue attending our program.

Unfortunately, we feel that this measure is necessary to ensure the safety and health of all the children in our care, our staff, and your own child.

The 2010 Policy Handbook (page 4) states:
“ PROCEDURES FOR SICK CHILDREN
Any child showing signs of illness while at the program may have parents called to pick up the child. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN OUR PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED. “

This policy is a state regulation, and is the minimum requirement to be in compliance with California State law. We also require that these guidelines apply WITHOUT the use of fever/ pain reducer/ cold medications for at least 24 hours.

Lastly, this signed acknowledgement will serve as notice that failure to follow our sick child policy will result in refusal of care until a signed physician's release is submitted.

___________________________ _________________
PARENT SIGNATURE DATE

A copy of this letter will be given to you. If you would like to attach a response to keep in your family file, please submit it in writing to (provider's name) within one week.

Sincerely,

(your name)
Lucy 08:49 AM 10-18-2010
And after the Tylenol wears off, you call and say:

"I took Sally's temperature after the Tylenol wore off, and it's now 101".

That way they'll know that you're on to them!!

Either that or they'll think YOU gave her Tylenol and they'll panic thinking it was a double dose due to their "secret" dosing earlier. Make them think twice about doing that again.
lovinmylife 12:01 AM 10-19-2010
My contract stated that if a child was brought to daycare sick and had been given tylenol/motrin/fever reducer to mask symptoms it was cause for immediate termination with 2 weeks payment due. I had 2 parents that I applied this to in 6 years of running my daycare.

In my opinion you have to protect yourself and the children in your care. If she brings her daughter sick and you get sick what good are you going to be caring for the other kids in your care? I don't get some parents, not only will you be miserable once the meds wear off but her poor daughter will be miserable.
f.barboza82 12:57 AM 10-19-2010
I absolutely agree, just wait until the Tylenol wears off and then call the parents. There is no point in risking getting everybody sick over one child.
QualiTcare 05:32 AM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I do have to say that I've given my DD Motrin for a cough and it helped--she was coughing enough that she couldn't sleep and the motrin coated her throat and made her able to sleep, plus the cough was hurting her throat and the Motrin took the pain away for her.

But, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if they were masking a fever. But there are other possible explanations.
i agree - i give my kids motrin if they have a cough. my son started taking it last friday for a cough and it's almost all the way cleared up. i, on the other hand, have the flu!

anyway, my son goes to preschool for a half day, four days a week, and i told his teacher the same thing bc his cough sounds nasty. "he has a cough, but seems fine - no fever, has an appetite, etc" and i sure did give him motrin. i'm not working right now so i have no reason to try to "get away" with him having a fever. at the same time, he likes school, and shouldn't have to stay home bc of a cough that's not contagious.

i KNOW there are parents that do give their kids meds to hide a fever, but they're usually the ones who don't say a WORD cus they don't want you to be suspicious - not ones who give you a heads up and say they'll come get them if they get sick. damned if you do, damned if you don't.
DancingQueen 05:48 AM 10-19-2010
she ended up having a fine rest of the day.
i think the only reason it bothered me was that she didn't tell me.
If she told me that she gave her motrin (for whatever reason) but she doesn't have a fever - then I see no problem with it really.

I have done that in the past - like when one of mine was teething pretty badly - or had an ear infection. I would drop off and say "has an ear infection, no fever, been on antibiotics for 2 days - but I gave him motrin just to take the edge off. He seems fine without the motrin but I just wanted to make sure he had a good morning for you. If after it wears off you think he is miserable then please call me and I'll come and get him"

I see nothing wrong with it if they can just be honest and up front - if there was some sort of major emergency I would need to know if there was anything in their system.
MarinaVanessa 06:28 AM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I seem to be cut & paste happy today- Here's what I had to give one mom who dosed up her kid so she could go to work, and not be reachable for over 6 hours (For the 2nd time that week!!!)

Dear (parent's name), June 10, 2010

This letter is to serve as a reminder of our policy on sick children at daycare. Your signed acknowledgement is required in order for (child's name) to continue attending our program.

Unfortunately, we feel that this measure is necessary to ensure the safety and health of all the children in our care, our staff, and your own child.

The 2010 Policy Handbook (page 4) states:
“ PROCEDURES FOR SICK CHILDREN
Any child showing signs of illness while at the program may have parents called to pick up the child. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN OUR PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED. “

This policy is a state regulation, and is the minimum requirement to be in compliance with California State law. We also require that these guidelines apply WITHOUT the use of fever/ pain reducer/ cold medications for at least 24 hours.

Lastly, this signed acknowledgement will serve as notice that failure to follow our sick child policy will result in refusal of care until a signed physician's release is submitted.

___________________________ _________________
PARENT SIGNATURE DATE

A copy of this letter will be given to you. If you would like to attach a response to keep in your family file, please submit it in writing to (provider's name) within one week.

Sincerely,

(your name)
I am sooo going to steal this, if you don't mind of course. It started to rain in my neck of the woods (also CA) and I wanted to send notices home as reminders before the cold season begins. This is a great starter for what I wanted to say. I love the words you use and how you blame it on the regulations and specify that it means 25 hours free from symptoms AND medications. Going to start typing now.
missnikki 06:54 AM 10-19-2010
Go for it!
Live and Learn 12:30 PM 10-19-2010
The only time I whip out the old thermometer is if a child is behaving sick, if the parent tells me they gave Tylenol or Motrin before dropping off, or if I suspect or smell Tylenol or Motrin. It is not worth the risk of getting everyone else.
I think that "love in my life's" system is great.
ninosqueridos 06:49 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
And after the Tylenol wears off, you call and say:

"I took Sally's temperature after the Tylenol wore off, and it's now 101".

That way they'll know that you're on to them!!

Either that or they'll think YOU gave her Tylenol and they'll panic thinking it was a double dose due to their "secret" dosing earlier. Make them think twice about doing that again.
that is genius!
MARSTELAC 05:52 AM 01-12-2011
Just a related vent....I am pretty sure that two of my dcks are taking some sort of meds...My own dd is on antibiotics for a non-contagious problem and takes the meds out of a syringe while other dcks are here. Two of the dcks told me that they got medicine out of that kind of dropper both yesterday and today. My families are supposed to tell me when kids are on anything, it's part of my contract....even if I am not administering. Nothing I can do about this but just need to vent. The kids have been sick a lot and are obviously fighting something but have no idea what...
laundrymom 06:06 AM 01-12-2011
Ii flat called a parent out this morning. I said, I'm thinking maybe you should take her in to the doc. She seems to be in a fog. Not thinking clearly, not focusing. She goes in thepotty and stands has to be told to pull down pants, pull undies, sit on potty, pee, wipe, etc. She just is not " there". Mom says Hmmm. Nothing I can think of. Then I get a text. Dad has been doping her to get her to sleep w benedryl. He has he sun- tues night, mom gets her tues- sat morn, then dad will have her to mon then mom til fri, they have a weird schedule. Well dad is busted and mom called her lawyer.
SilverSabre25 06:08 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Ii flat called a parent out this morning. I said, I'm thinking maybe you should take her in to the doc. She seems to be in a fog. Not thinking clearly, not focusing. She goes in thepotty and stands has to be told to pull down pants, pull undies, sit on potty, pee, wipe, etc. She just is not " there". Mom says Hmmm. Nothing I can think of. Then I get a text. Dad has been doping her to get her to sleep w benedryl. He has he sun- tues night, mom gets her tues- sat morn, then dad will have her to mon then mom til fri, they have a weird schedule. Well dad is busted and mom called her lawyer.
omg! What an awful situation! Glad it got figured out though; I hope that dad gets what's coming to him.
Tags:neglect
Reply Up