Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Wrong With People
cillybean83 06:06 AM 01-12-2011
My uncle passed away on Sunday, the funeral is today at 2pm and it's over an hour away so I told parents that kids can come till 11am, then they need to be picked up so I can get myself and my kids ready for the funeral.

I didn't get ONE "I'm sorry for your loss" but I got:

"Will I be charged for the full day?"

Heavy, annoyed sighs

"This is really short notice"

"I guess I'll have to work something out"

Gee, I'm sorry the person who practically raised me had to go and die from lung cancer, I'm sure he did it just to annoy my daycare parents.

Jerks.
SilverSabre25 06:10 AM 01-12-2011
cillybean, I'm really sorry for your loss. And I'm sorry that your daycare parents are being such insensitive jerks about it.

(((HUGS)))
laundrymom 06:10 AM 01-12-2011
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry your parents are unfeeling. Please have comfort in knowing most of their kids waking hours are spent with you and you can teach them compassion, caring, and sympathy. They aren't getting it at home!
DCMomOf3 06:10 AM 01-12-2011
Emergencies are never planned and I am sorry they were so concerned with money that they didn't understand. That is what back-up plans are for, they should have one.

I am sorry you lost such an important person, and my thoughts are with you today.
kitkat 06:11 AM 01-12-2011
I'm so sorry for your loss!

I'm also sorry your dcps are being such jerks! I think that's pretty nice of you to even offer to keep the kids til 11. They should be thankful for that.
Lilbutterflie 06:17 AM 01-12-2011
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't believe how insensitive your daycare parents were.
momma2girls 06:24 AM 01-12-2011
Yes, it shows another side- how insensitive parents are, how unappreciative they are, etc etc... So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you!
DanceMom 06:33 AM 01-12-2011
Very sorry for your loss - knowing me I would have probably said something pretty crappy to them - that's terrible...but there are a lot of selfish people in the world..
Bizzymom1111 06:46 AM 01-12-2011
I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((hugs)))) don't worry about the insensitive parents, just forget it and definitely don't let them make you feel guilty. Just focus on you an your family.
SandeeAR 06:52 AM 01-12-2011
Sorry for your loss. Really make you want to just make a sign with your quote and post it on the door, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by cillybean83:
Gee, I'm sorry the person who practically raised me had to go and die from lung cancer, I'm sure he did it just to annoy my daycare parents.

Jerks.

Little People 06:52 AM 01-12-2011
I am so sorry for your loss. Your parents were wrong, they should of been more understanding to you. I am in Tennessee and if we were close I would of helped you out today
momofboys 06:55 AM 01-12-2011
I'm sorry for your loss. That's unfortunate that they were so insensitive. It's not like you can plan ahead for a death in the family. It's too bad they reacted that way. Last year when my dad passed away both of my DCFs at the time were very kind about the circumstances, one even brought us a meal one evening & they both told me to take all the time I needed. I am sorry your parents are acting so immature.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 01-12-2011
So sorry for your loss.. Don't let 'em get to you....
sierrastreasures 07:01 AM 01-12-2011
Sorry to hear this, I can't understand why parents aren't sensitive to other people's needs. No wonder children grow up not to care about others. It all starts at home. ((((((Hugs)))))))
WImom 07:06 AM 01-12-2011
Sorry for your loss and for rude DC parents.
jen 07:09 AM 01-12-2011
Oh my God...that is horrible. I am so sorry for both your loss and your terribly incosiderate daycare families.

I would perhaps send out a reminder:

Dear Parents,

I would like to take this opportunity to refresh you on our policy regarding vacations, illness, or emergency closings at our daycare.

As you know, I value each and every one of you and strive to provide you with the most reliable, quality care possible. However, sometimes it is necessary for me to be gone unexpectedly as is true for all home daycare providers. I realize this is an inconvenience to you and I do try to minimize those inconveninces as much as possible.

However, as in the case of the recent death in my family, it is not always possible to plan ahead. Several parents commented on the difficulty they experienced as a result of my attending a family funeral. Please bear in mind, it is your responsbility to obtain back-up care on these very rare ocassions.

Thanks you...
DanceMom 07:19 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Oh my God...that is horrible. I am so sorry for both your loss and your terribly incosiderate daycare families.

I would perhaps send out a reminder:

Dear Parents,

I would like to take this opportunity to refresh you on our policy regarding vacations, illness, or emergency closings at our daycare.

As you know, I value each and every one of you and strive to provide you with the most reliable, quality care possible. However, sometimes it is necessary for me to be gone unexpectedly as is true for all home daycare providers. I realize this is an inconvenience to you and I do try to minimize those inconveninces as much as possible.

However, as in the case of the recent death in my family, it is not always possible to plan ahead. Several parents commented on the difficulty they experienced as a result of my attending a family funeral. Please bear in mind, it is your responsbility to obtain back-up care on these very rare ocassions.

Thanks you...
This is great - I would definately send this out to all of them..they need to realize how shi*tty they were to you..and hopefully apologize.
sahm2three 07:20 AM 01-12-2011
My uncle passed away on Sunday, the funeral is today at 2pm and it's over an hour away so I told parents that kids can come till 11am, then they need to be picked up so I can get myself and my kids ready for the funeral.

Heavy, annoyed sighs

Jerks.
I am sorry! People can be so insensitive! But boy oh boy they would expect sympathy if they were in the same situation! And you would be a big jerk for charging them! People suck! Sorry for your loss!
missnikki 07:54 AM 01-12-2011
jen, that was a great idea.

cillybean, I'm sorry for your loss.
Unregistered 08:42 AM 01-12-2011

Heavy, annoyed sighs

Jerks.
I'm very sorry for you loss. That is so very inconsiderate of your DCP to not even they were Sorry to hear that and ask if they pay for the full day.
When this has happened to me if someone passed in my family, I usually get notice a few days in advance about the funeral plans. Right away that same day that I find out about the funeral, I will either call my parents or tell them when they pick up their child that I will be taking the day of the funeral off, (I like to take the whole day off, gives me time to get ready and get where ever it is without having to rush around and deal with the kids in the morning.). I apologize that this is so last minute, but this person was important to me in my life and I need to honor them by going to the funeral. It might be tomorrow or a couple days later that the funeral is, so they have time to get other care. I do say that I will not charge you for that day as I do not charge when I take a day off anyway.
That is how I handle it. They usually don't say what short notice tome as I have already said that this person was important in my life and I need to honor them, so I guess they feel they should not say anything bad about me taking the time off. Also, a lot of people don;t quite know how to say something to some when when someone has died,it seems hard of some to say they are sorry to hear that, I don't understand why tho.
boysx5 10:52 AM 01-12-2011
I just went through this last year my sil was killed in a car accident in May and my mil died in Oct. where I had to take a few days off as they were both out of town. I do say for the most part everyone was understanding but it wasn't like I was out having a party eating bon bons I was at a funeral. I get annoyed that they can take time off but when we do all hell breaks loose
e.j. 10:56 AM 01-12-2011
I'm sorry for your loss, Cillybean.

I do like Jen's idea. I'd definitely hand each of those parents a copy of her letter. It gets the point across in a very professional way.
E Daycare 06:41 PM 01-12-2011
So sorry for your loss too! Hope you and your family get through this difficult time and that your parents learn compassion in the 2011 year.
daysofelijah 04:36 AM 01-13-2011
That's terrible! My gramma's funeral is today and my dcparents were all happy to work out the kids being picked up by noon. No one has even asked about payment, they even brought flowers and muffins. (I will credit everyone half a day off next week's check.)
BentleysBands 04:54 AM 01-13-2011
Sorry for your loss!!
They should be thankful you are keeping the kids half day.
cillybean83 08:03 AM 01-13-2011
thanks everyone for the kind words, it was a beautiful service and I'm happy he's in a better place

I'm going to hand out that letter today at pick up. Thanks again! <3
Tags:death, loss, thankful
Reply Up