Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea
Countrygal 06:18 AM 03-08-2012
What is your policy regarding it if the child has no fever? I know we've discussed fevers a lot, but I've never really seen this discussed. It's so subjective. If you have it in your policy, how does it read?
Angelwings36 06:19 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
What is your policy regarding it if the child has no fever? I know we've discussed fevers a lot, but I've never really seen this discussed. It's so subjective. If you have it in your policy, how does it read?
I will pm you my illness policy.
Breezy 06:40 AM 03-08-2012
2 diarrhea episodes parent picks up child. 24 hour exclusion. Obviously worded better than that
MrsB 07:09 AM 03-08-2012
Mine is 1 episode and another illness symptom, or 2 episodes and no other illness symptoms, child is to be excluded. But all exclusion decisions are up to my discression. Sometimes you can just tell with diarrhea, it has that aweful sick smell. Usually if this is the case they will have another illness symptom, like being irritable, overly tired, stomach ache, decreased appetite, glassy eyes, etc
GretasLittleFriends 10:28 AM 03-08-2012
Mine states that they have to be symptom free from diarrhea for 24 hours without the aid of medication. It also states that "If your child develops any of the above symptoms while in my care, or any other symptoms NOT listed above that cause great concern, you or your alternate will be required to pick up your child immediately."

The definition of diarrhea can be tricky though. Is it a loose stool from something the child ate/drank? Is it a side effect from medicine? My dd would get loose stool when she was teething.

In my experience, it has been a judgment call being as there are many factors that could cause loose stools.
daycare 10:32 AM 03-08-2012
2 episodes in a diaper and home

1 for those that are potty trained.... Trust me when I say this..If they have one accident they will have another and this is the last thing that I want to clean up....GROSS
MrsB 10:39 AM 03-08-2012
I also state that for diarrhea they can't return until 24 hour after it has ceased and must have had at least one normal stool.
SunshineMama 11:48 AM 03-08-2012
I was JUST about to post about diaharrea...

This child I have has had 4 episodes of diaharrea in the past 3 months I have had him, and each episode lasts about a week. The mom will keep for a day- he will pass 1 semi-solid stool, and then she will bring him the next day, and two days later- diaharrea again.

My question is:

What would you do about this? How long would YOU keep a child (ie not term) if they had constant diaharrea regularly. We are talking blow outs- no fever or other symptoms. (But clearly contageous, as my dd has gotten it 3/4 times he has had it first).

I wash hands in between diaper changes. I clean everyday. I lysol spray several times a day when he is sick- and nothing is working.

I am going to suggest probiotics to the parents today.

How long would you personally allow this to continue?
saved4always 11:51 AM 03-08-2012
My illness policy is:

Child(ren) with the following symptoms should not be brought to childcare. Parent will be contacted to pick up child as soon as possible if child develops any of these symptoms while at childcare.

Fever: 100 degrees F. Child may return when fever-free for 24 hours without use of Tylenol.
Vomiting: Child may return if there has been no vomiting for 24 hours.
Diarrhea: Defined as increase in number of stools normal for that child or increased water in stool that is not caused by antibiotic use. Child may return when condition improves.
Eye Infection: Conjunctivitis/Pinkeye. Child may return after 24 hours of antibiotic therapy.
Chicken Pox: Child may return when all lesions have dried and crusted.
Head Lice: Child may return when hair has been treated and all nits removed.
Strep Throat: Child may return after 24 hours of antibiotic therapy.
GoodKarma 01:14 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Mine is 1 episode and another illness symptom, or 2 episodes and no other illness symptoms, child is to be excluded. But all exclusion decisions are up to my discression. Sometimes you can just tell with diarrhea, it has that aweful sick smell. Usually if this is the case they will have another illness symptom, like being irritable, overly tired, stomach ache, decreased appetite, glassy eyes, etc
Ditto!
GoodKarma 02:06 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I was JUST about to post about diaharrea...

This child I have has had 4 episodes of diaharrea in the past 3 months I have had him, and each episode lasts about a week. The mom will keep for a day- he will pass 1 semi-solid stool, and then she will bring him the next day, and two days later- diaharrea again.
Sunshine- Maybe ask the parents about the child's juice consumption? I had an older baby who always had soft stools and had a lot of diaper rashes. I knew from conversations with the mom that dc baby drank quite a bit of juice at home ( I don't serve juice). I told her that too much juice can cause digestive issues. As soon as they cut the juice, dc baby started having normal stools and stopped having rashes.
MrsB 02:08 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
My illness policy is:

Diarrhea: Defined as increase in number of stools normal for that child or increased water in stool that is not caused by antibiotic use. Child may return when condition improves.
I used to make an acception for diarrhea caused by antibiotic use too, but then I had several bouts of diarrhea from kids who were on antibiotics. You have to change them IMMEDIATELY or you have it everywhere and can still happen mulitple times a day. I can't always provide that immediate attention. Especially cause they have a tendancy to get a diaper rash and diarrhea on diaper rash is not fun. They need to be with mom or dad so they can sit and watch them ALL day. So now I say it is up to my discretion, they can be excluded for diarrhea regardless of the cause. Its not only about a contagious thing. Like one time I had mom call me and say I DCG on antibiotics and had loose stool. I said I have low attendance tomorrow so I would give it a try and could probably manage. Next time mom called. I said I have a full day tomorrow so you can bring her and try but the likelyhood of getting a call is increased.
SunshineMama 02:09 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by GoodKarma:
Sunshine- Maybe ask the parents about the child's juice consumption? I had an older baby who always had soft stools and had a lot of diaper rashes. I knew from conversations with the mom that dc baby drank quite a bit of juice at home ( I don't serve juice). I told her that too much juice can cause digestive issues. As soon as they cut the juice, dc baby started having normal stools and stopped having rashes.
They do not give him juice. Dad just told me at pickup that they have been increasing his milk. He is 14.5 months and they still have me giving him formula. I suggested probiotics today to him- hope they take the advice! It will help with his colds AND diaharrea. If not- I don't know what I am going to do. I really dont think I can handle constant runny poop- no matter how much I love the baby and the family. It's just too gross.
Country Kids 02:10 PM 03-08-2012
I had one that had tons of diarehha stools/loose stools because all they wanted to eat was fruit it seemed like was way, I mean way to much fruit. We are talking 5 times a day it seemed they had a poopy diaper. Someone else watched them onetime and just couldn't believe how much this child pooped!!!
GoodKarma 02:24 PM 03-08-2012
They do not give him juice. Dad just told me at pickup that they have been increasing his milk. He is 14.5 months and they still have me giving him formula. I suggested probiotics today to him- hope they take the advice! It will help with his colds AND diaharrea. If not- I don't know what I am going to do. I really dont think I can handle constant runny poop- no matter how much I love the baby and the family. It's just too gross.
I hope it gets better!
SunshineMama 02:32 PM 03-08-2012
Thanks me too!
Countrygal 12:41 PM 03-09-2012
I would suggest they see the baby's physician. Lots of things can cause this including intestinal bacterial infections or even a lactose intolerance or allergy. It needs to be addressed.
PitterPatter 06:43 PM 03-09-2012
2 diarrhea sent home or 1 diarrhea and another illness symptom sent home. May not return for full 24 hours after being symptom free.
PitterPatter 06:48 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
My illness policy is:

Child(ren) with the following symptoms should not be brought to childcare. Parent will be contacted to pick up child as soon as possible if child develops any of these symptoms while at childcare.

Fever: 100 degrees F. Child may return when fever-free for 24 hours without use of Tylenol.
Vomiting: Child may return if there has been no vomiting for 24 hours.
Eye Infection: Conjunctivitis/Pinkeye. Child may return after 24 hours of antibiotic therapy.
Chicken Pox: Child may return when all lesions have dried and crusted.
Head Lice: Child may return when hair has been treated and all nits removed.
Strep Throat: Child may return after 24 hours of antibiotic therapy.
I remember when my policy was short and sweet like this. Then came MRSA and scabies... etc. I got "Well I didn't see anything about excluding for this in your handbook" It's there now!! Common sense should tell the parent it is a contagious illness duh! BUT to cover my rear I have extended my illness policy to a whole page. I'm sure I am missing an illness or 2 and when/if someone makes a stink about it I will enter it as well.
saved4always 10:17 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I remember when my policy was short and sweet like this. Then came MRSA and scabies... etc. I got "Well I didn't see anything about excluding for this in your handbook" It's there now!! Common sense should tell the parent it is a contagious illness duh! BUT to cover my rear I have extended my illness policy to a whole page. I'm sure I am missing an illness or 2 and when/if someone makes a stink about it I will enter it as well.
I did have a MRSA case once now that I think about it. I guess my policy does not address that now that you pointed it out. Luckily the parent had common sense and did not bring the child til he was okay. I actually copied my illness policy off of a center's that I found on the internet years ago when I created my contract. I only have one more week of doing this gig in my home, so I guess it has served me well. I am sure I would have run into some kind of issue at some point and have just been lucky to have parents who could think beyond just the policy and cared about me and the other kids.
bice99 07:51 PM 03-10-2012
I will determine if a child may attend ***x Childcare. There may be times when a doctor has written a note and the child still will not be admitted to ensure the well being of the rest of the children. Younger children cannot cover their cough/sneeze and often “mouth” everything. They need to be home rather than sharing their germs with everyone. Please do not bring a sick child. You will be asked to take your child home upon arrival.
Tags:diarrhea
Reply Up