Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eyelid Bump
Unregistered 07:09 AM 01-21-2013
I have a daycare girl who came last week with a bump on her eyelid... it was red and a tiny swollen. I thought she had bumped her head at home... I made a phone call to Mom asking her if she noticed this too (she did). She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, no itching or pain. So, today she comes and it's been a week... the bump is bigger and red. Her parents don't seem to be concerned but I am. If this was my child I would have taken to a doc a week ago when it formed. This is what it looks like

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...y-98763323.jpg

So, I'm wondering what would you do??? There is no drainage but if it's an eye stye then it could drainage....also does anyone know if Eye Style's are contagious??
Loveyoustinkyface 07:21 AM 01-21-2013
Poor child! I get Stye's often... warm water compresses help.
As far as I know, they are not contagious like pink eye.
countrymom 07:51 AM 01-21-2013
was going to say a stye too, but she needs to get it checked out just incase its not.
Unregistered 07:58 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
was going to say a stye too, but she needs to get it checked out just incase its not.
I want it checked out but when I talked to Mom last week she acted like it was no biggie. I want a doc note saying that it's not contagious. But, I'm not sure how to put it as I've never had to ask for a note before.
melilley 08:10 AM 01-21-2013
It does look like a stye. I had a child that had a bump on his eye that started out little and it got so big that his eye was swollen shut...poor baby. It turned out to be a bug bite and there was nothing you could do. Since this child's bump hasn't gotten bigger it probably is a stye.
daycarediva 08:17 AM 01-21-2013
My own ds gets styes that get VERY bad. I freaked and took him to the pedi the first time. It looks like a stye to me as well. I would put a warm wet compress on it a few times while she is there.
youretooloud 08:19 AM 01-21-2013
I get styes occasionally, and they hurt a little bit. But, they aren't that big. I'd be worried that it's become an infection of eyelashes or something. I think a week is a long time, and it could be painful.
Unregistered 08:25 AM 01-21-2013
Does anyone know if it's contagious??? Can other kids get it if she rubs her eye and touches something??
Kelly 08:39 AM 01-21-2013
Styes are not contagious to anyone else. However, the bacteria in them can spread to the area around the eye (pre-orbital cellulitis.) If she has redness and/or swelling around the whole eye she does need to see a doctor for antibiotics.
Unregistered 08:41 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
It does look like a stye. I had a child that had a bump on his eye that started out little and it got so big that his eye was swollen shut...poor baby. It turned out to be a bug bite and there was nothing you could do. Since this child's bump hasn't gotten bigger it probably is a stye.
It has gotten bigger and red. I would think if it was a bug bite it would have gone down in size after a week... maybe not?
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 01-21-2013
OP~ If the child has NOT been seen by a professional and you do not know exactly what it is, I would INSIST that the parents bring her in BEFORE I would allow her to be in care.

It sounds very much like a stye but you sound very uncomfortable about the whole thing and since the parents aren't addressing this, you need to be the one to do so.

Stye's are NOT contagious but I would also be concerned about it to the point that I would insist on a visit to a professional who could diagnose.
lovemykidstoo 11:42 AM 01-21-2013
I agree with the others. It looks like a Stye, but could also be an ingrown hair or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it being anything contagious.
Tags:2013
Reply Up