Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Addressing Table Manners
LadyPearl 06:23 AM 02-03-2014
Dcg4 sounds like a farm animal when she eats. She's a lip smacker, gum smacker, mouth open, utensil/teeth scraper, etc. Surprisingly she is very clean while eating. I don't want to seem like a nag but what is a good age to address all of this?
Happily_wed 06:34 AM 02-03-2014
I start as soon as they can sit in a high chair. I just use constant, gentle reminders and address issues as they come up. At 4 I think she is more than old enough to learn to eat quietly.
caregiver 07:20 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
I start as soon as they can sit in a high chair. I just use constant, gentle reminders and address issues as they come up. At 4 I think she is more than old enough to learn to eat quietly.
I totally agree. Parents don't seem to teach table manner to their kids these days, or any manners! It seems like manners period, even with adults has gone to the way side. It's I WANT or GIVE ME.
I teach the kids to say Please and Thank you as soon as they can talk. They have to ask to get down from the table when they are done eating. They are taught how to sit right on a chair while eating, no climbing up and down or standing on a chair while at the table, which a few have tried. If they take a toy away from another child, I make them give it back and say that they are sorry. It really is the parents job to teach manners, but it seems like parents think that us providers should or expect us to do the job for them and then they don't have to take the time to do it.
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
Dcg4 sounds like a farm animal when she eats. She's a lip smacker, gum smacker, mouth open, utensil/teeth scraper, etc. Surprisingly she is very clean while eating. I don't want to seem like a nag but what is a good age to address all of this?
Practice makes perfect.

I would maybe set up a few activities that demonstrate chewing with her mouth closed.

NOT during meal time though as that can be stressful for a kid but during a non-meal time. Use marshmallows or gummy bears.... Have a mirror handy so kids can SEE themselves. Also have them sit back to back with each other and see if they can hear the other person chewing....

It's always fun to do this with kids and helps them understand what you mean and why chewing with their mouth open can be annoying or bothersome to others.

I think it is important though that you do it as a fun activity and not during meal times. The kids will learn so much if they are having fun while learning.
mindi1314 02:52 PM 02-03-2014
We took about a 2 week period at circle time recently talking about how we eat at the table. I used raisins and I demonstrated at first the difference between chewing with your mouth open and closed. Then I passed out the raisins and gave the kids a chance to chew with their mouths open. Then a chance to chew with their mouths closed. It was interesting to see them understand the difference.
Then we talked about at our daycare we don't enroll "alligators" so there should be no "chomping".
Now at lunch every once in a while someone will say... "Miss Mindi - Johnathon is being an alligator at the table" and immediately Johnathon will close his mouth !
Reply Up