Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finding Out Local Rates
Josiegirl 03:59 PM 05-21-2014
How would you go about it? Isn't it illegal to discuss rates amongst other local providers, for fear of price setting? I have no clue if I'm low, average, high, compared to everyone else. I want to be competitive but don't want to be losing potential families due to cost or getting the short end of the stick either. So how do you find out what providers charge?
llpa 04:02 PM 05-21-2014
I asked my licensing rep who said I was right in the ball park with others around me.
craftymissbeth 04:10 PM 05-21-2014
I just looked at how much state subsidy paid out per hour which is $2 in my area. I know there are states that figure their subsidy rates differently, though. I took that $2 and worked around it to figure my rates. The way I structure things, I charge more than $2 an hour, but it at least gave me an idea.
TwinKristi 04:51 PM 05-21-2014
I go to Craigslist and follow links to websites to see if they have their rates posted. You can also call daycares in your area pretending you're NOT a provider and ask their rates and such. Or you can ask what your clients paid their previous provider if that's possible. That's not illegal but asking Susue Jones who has a daycare 2 blocks away IS illegal for price fixing laws.
KSDC 05:23 AM 05-22-2014
Our area Child Care and Referral office keeps these stats and even publishes the averages/highs/lows on their website.
TaylorTots 10:34 AM 05-22-2014
Our centers publish their weekly rates around here and a few local providers are on facebook advertising with rates.

Local centers: $160-190
Local in home advertised rates: $125-175 (based on age of child and experience of provider)
melilley 10:47 AM 05-22-2014
I look on CL as well, many people advertise what they charge or have a link/website with the info on it.
Our state also has a website of licensed providers where we can put certain info. about our program and some of the providers list how much they charge there.
Jack Sprat 11:52 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by KSDC:
Our area Child Care and Referral office keeps these stats and even publishes the averages/highs/lows on their website.
Can you send me a link to this? I have looked and looked but, can find nothing.

I have had two people flat out ask me what I charge. One was opening a daycare and the other was asking for her sister who had opened a daycare.
Starburst 12:00 PM 05-22-2014
Almost all communities have a Child Care Referral and Resources agency. They can't legally tell you want to charge, but they can give you a list of the what other similar services charge (sometimes they have a list of specific places and what they charge, or an average for your region and what state assistance is willing to pay).

You can also just look on craigslist and see if you can find what other providers are charging, but the CCR&R is faster. I suggest just not aiming too high on the spectrum if you are starting out, that way you have some wiggle room and can increase your prices regularly so you feel like your getting a raise.
craftymissbeth 12:12 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

I have had two people flat out ask me what I charge. One was opening a daycare and the other was asking for her sister who had opened a daycare.
A provider asked me once, too, but I just said "oh, ya know, it varies"

Not that I am hiding my rates from anyone... I link my website to my ads.
rebekki78 03:13 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
You can also call daycares in your area pretending you're NOT a provider and ask their rates and such. Or you can ask what your clients paid their previous provider if that's possible. That's not illegal but asking Susue Jones who has a daycare 2 blocks away IS illegal for price fixing laws.
This is a good idea. I know my local rates because my children went through many local providers before I started.
rebekki78 03:14 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

My local Food Program agency has this info in their website: http://www.4cchildcare.org/paPayChildCare.aspx there may be a local site for you as well that has the info.
Reply Up