Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sickness?
Unregistered 04:50 AM 12-01-2014
Do you close for sickness. If you or your child is sick? I have a 6 year old dd who was up all night with a fever, keeping me a awake most of the night. I gave parents a heads up the evening before at about 7, another update around 10:30 and then sent the finial text around 3:30 to say I would be closing. Dd was up most of the night. I was up most of the night I beat. I only had 3 families scheduled for today (5 dcks) and two families were great very understanding the other family is mad. She text back and instead of saying I hope she feels better etc she says well I don't have anyone for my kids... Ugh..

So my question is would you have just opened?
midaycare 04:55 AM 12-01-2014
I probably would have opened. But I also have checks and balances in place. My DH can stay home with ds if he needs to, or my mom.

I couldn't be a daycare in this area if I closed for sickness with my own kiddo, and I wasn't open for the majority of days. It's too competitive and people would just go to centers.
Unregistered 04:58 AM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I probably would have opened. But I also have checks and balances in place. My DH can stay home with ds if he needs to, or my mom.

I couldn't be a daycare in this area if I closed for sickness with my own kiddo, and I wasn't open for the majority of days. It's too competitive and people would just go to centers.
I'm a single mom so no one else to watch dd, would you do it on the zero sleep? Maybe I'm just to sensitive.
LysesKids 05:01 AM 12-01-2014
I open unless I am puking my guts up or feel like I am dying... my children had their own rooms too, but they are all grown & gone now, so I only worry about me. You have to be considered reliable so nope, I won't close even when I am running a fever unless it's because of contagious illness
LysesKids 05:07 AM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a single mom so no one else to watch dd, would you do it on the zero sleep? Maybe I'm just to sensitive.
BTW, I am a single mom too... it's even more reason to stay open even on little sleep ( I jusy drink coffee all day literally); if you close you don't earn pay for the day
Unregistered 05:17 AM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
BTW, I am a single mom too... it's even more reason to stay open even on little sleep ( I jusy drink coffee all day literally); if you close you don't earn pay for the day
Coffee/tea makes me sick
craftymissbeth 06:36 AM 12-01-2014
I'll be the odd man out and say I'd close. But I know my body and I know that I wouldn't be providing safe care if I were running on fumes. The same goes for when I have a fever... I've stayed open while sick, but I know that even when I have a mild fever I hallucinate and feel like absolute death.

You know you better than any of us. Our ultimate goal in this profession should be to keep our dcks safe. Yes, it's difficult on some clients, but if you feel that you would be providing an unsafe environment by staying open then you shouldn't open.
Unregistered 06:54 AM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I open unless I am puking my guts up or feel like I am dying... my children had their own rooms too, but they are all grown & gone now, so I only worry about me. You have to be considered reliable so nope, I won't close even when I am running a fever unless it's because of contagious illness
I don't think it's fair to say providers have to be reliable. To a certain degree they definitely do but at the same time way too many providers remain open when they themselves are sick or their kids are sick and then charge the families when the daycare kid gets sick and misses a day.
Personally, I think daycare providers should follow their own sick policies and close if they are sick themselves or if their children are sick and have no one else to care for them. As a parent, if my provider chose to work through it with a fever, I'd be pissed if my kid subsequently got sick. Fevers are a sign your body is fighting off something and usually that "something" IS contagious.
I think providers should discuss this topic in detail when interviewing so parents know what to expect if this situation comes up. I also think it's important for families to have back up if they choose to use family child care. If a parent says they have no one, the provider shouldn't have to feel guilty if it was something already discussed.
The only way I think staying open and allowing parents to choose whether or not they come or keep their kid home is if the provider does not charge for days the child is absent when sick.
midaycare 07:29 AM 12-01-2014
I would have done it on the zero sleep (and have worked with zero sleep - I have insomnia), but I would have based the decision on the health of my ds. If he was still puking and I was a single mom, there is no way I could do both daycare and attend to him.

Being a single mom is hard. I'm sorry.
Play Care 07:45 AM 12-01-2014
I don't think it's fair to say providers have to be reliable. To a certain degree they definitely do but at the same time way too many providers remain open when they themselves are sick or their kids are sick and then charge the families when the daycare kid gets sick and misses a day.
Personally, I think daycare providers should follow their own sick policies and close if they are sick themselves or if their children are sick and have no one else to care for them. As a parent, if my provider chose to work through it with a fever, I'd be pissed if my kid subsequently got sick. Fevers are a sign your body is fighting off something and usually that "something" IS contagious.
I think providers should discuss this topic in detail when interviewing so parents know what to expect if this situation comes up. I also think it's important for families to have back up if they choose to use family child care. If a parent says they have no one, the provider shouldn't have to feel guilty if it was something already discussed.
The only way I think staying open and allowing parents to choose whether or not they come or keep their kid home is if the provider does not charge for days the child is absent when sick.
Unfortunately, you are in the minority. Most parents do NOT care if their provider is sick. Most of them probably sent their kids in to day care sick. More often than not, a provider is given grief for closing due to illness. I've rarely witnessed a parent give a provider grief of working while ill...
Play Care 07:49 AM 12-01-2014
How long have you been open? How many sick days have you had?
Yes, being reliable is part of the job, but if I'm sick or my kids are very sick and need me, I close. I DO try to minimize those times (which you should do no matter what your line of work) but it happens. Personally, I believe there is such a thing as being TOO reliable in this business. You see it all the time, a provider who hasn't been sick in twenty years gets the plague and calls off - chaos and mayhem ensue...

I would not ever feel guilty over someone else's lack of planning. In fact, I'd probably be inclined to start interviewing for a replacement since in home child care is obviously not for this family.
originalkat 08:30 AM 12-01-2014
I stay open when my kids are sick. They stay in their own rooms away from the kids entirely. I close when I am VERY sick (high fever or throwing up). I rarely close for sickness.
Unregistered 08:30 AM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Unfortunately, you are in the minority. Most parents do NOT care if their provider is sick. Most of them probably sent their kids in to day care sick. More often than not, a provider is given grief for closing due to illness. I've rarely witnessed a parent give a provider grief of working while ill...
My daycare parents must be in the minority then as well because they are all respectful of my illness policies and never send their children to me sick. They would also be upset if I worked while sick and subsequently got their child sick. If I am in the minority (my parents as well) then I am grateful then to be the odd man out. I feel bad for those providers that don't have that kind of working relationship with their parents.
momofboys 10:48 AM 12-01-2014
More recently my kids are old enough to stay in their rooms when they were ill. However, if I had a younger child (& when I did have someone 5-6 & under) they typically need more one-on-one care. If my 3-4 year-old had strep throat or a high fever I really wouldn't expect they could stay in their room all day, that IMO would be unreasonable. Now a 7-8-9-year old could but not a young child. In those instances I would notify parents & give them the choice. I wouldn't normally close but I can really understand whey you did & don't fault you for that. You have to do what you are comfortable with! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!
e.j. 12:06 PM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I was thinking the same thing. I've been a child care provider for over 18 years and have found that while most of my dc parents have been very understanding when I've closed due to illness, it's mostly because I rarely close. When I do, my dc families know I'm very sick and can't open. (I draw the line at vomiting and strep/fever - my own.) Most prefer that I remain open and if I offer the choice, will bring their child to me even when they know I'm not feeling well.

I have remained open when my kids were younger and up all night with an illness and managed to get through the day but it was miserable and I wouldn't fault another provider for closing. I think everyone needs to decide what works best for them and set policy accordingly.

The key, as someone else suggested, is communicating your policy to parents upfront so they know what to expect when they enroll their child with you. Just as providers differ on whether they will open or close while sick, dc parents differ on whether or not they appreciate a provider who will close to avoid spreading an illness. The important thing is finding parents who agree with the illness policy you set so there's less chance of an upset when you follow your illness policy.

OP, I hope your dd is feeling better soon.
Kabob 12:34 PM 12-01-2014
I'm sorry your dd is sick. Making the decision to close is tough but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That said, I have learned to tell parents up front during the interview and during the contract signing that while I rarely close, I expect them to have back up care ready in the event I need to close.

It boils down to what works for you and your business as well as what you are used to dealing with. Sometimes you just can't please everyone with your policies.
AmyKidsCo 12:36 PM 12-01-2014
Unless I'm tossing my cookies (which happens every 2-3 years) or unable to get out of bed (which has never happened yet) I'd open. When my kiddos are sick I set them up in the basement family room or their bedrooms with a baby monitor so I can hear if they need something.
Unregistered 03:35 AM 12-02-2014
Opening post here,
So glad a decided to close, I suffer from migraines although I hadn't had one in months the lack of sleep and stress making sure my lo was okay was enough to trigger one. Dd and myself both spend the day in bed. Very thankful for my decision!
Reply Up