Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>melting salt
hope 09:46 AM 01-30-2015
We have been putting salt on the walk and driveway now that it has been snowing. Problem is that everyone tracks it in the house and I am afraid of the little ones picking it up and eating it. I have been vacuuming after drop off and after outside play and after pick up.....all I do now is vacuum. What do you all use? How do you handle the walks and ice?
Pepperth 09:53 AM 01-30-2015
We use salt as well. We have a shoes off at the door policy. Maybe you could buy a few extra throw rugs, and place them by the door for times when you have heavy drop off and pick ups. Then put them somewhere else during the day, away from the children.
finsup 10:07 AM 01-30-2015
Sweep...all day long it seems! That and parents take off their shoes if they're coming in past the welcome mat. Kids shows/boots get taken off at the door too. Its not perfect but it helps some!
butterfly 10:39 AM 01-30-2015
We use softner salt to salt our sidewalks. - Mainly because I am cheap, and it was less expensive than the traditional ice melt. I still vacuum all the time because I worry about kids eating it too, but if it can go in our water, it must be reasonably safe.
KiddieCahoots 10:56 AM 01-30-2015
It's so messy, isn't it? I hate when it leaves whitish water rings on a dark entry rug.

My husband tells me that the salt can damage our brick walkway though, so I'm not so sure on it being gentle to the environment, or a little one's belly.

I use a dust vac at the entry rug.
The kids like using it too!
It's quick, easy, light weight, and snaps back onto the wall to recharge.
TaylorTots 12:49 PM 01-30-2015
I sweep the rug as my vacuum even can't seem to pick it all up. I have gates though blocking the daycare area from the hall to the door. And the shoes and parents stay on the rug - they know if they come off that rug with shoes on that I blow a gasket.
Kelly 08:23 PM 01-31-2015
I use something called Liquid Snow Shovell. It is recommended to use it as a pretreatment to keep ice from bonding with your driveway or sidewalk but you can also spray it on afterwards to melt the ice and snow. It works at much lower temperatures than salt, is safe for pets, kids and the environment and doesn't track in.
Reply Up