Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Handle Tuition Price Changes
Lovisa 03:51 PM 09-12-2018
So, I recently changed my prices. I now charge 25 bucks more per week for both part time and full time. I did NOT up the prices on current parents, but anyone new coming in gets charged my new rate. I have a few parents who are pregnant and who already have one or more children in my care. I should charge them the new rate for the new baby, right? It's gonna be a bit awkward because what my current parents are paying NOW for full time is now what I charge for part time. Their new price for their new baby will be 100 bucks more per month. I really hope this doesn't become an issue ugh.

There are MANY things I love about my job. The money aspect of it is not fun to me....
jenboo 03:59 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
So, I recently changed my prices. I now charge 25 bucks more per week for both part time and full time. I did NOT up the prices on current parents, but anyone new coming in gets charged my new rate. I have a few parents who are pregnant and who already have one or more children in my care. I should charge them the new rate for the new baby, right? It's gonna be a bit awkward because what my current parents are paying NOW for full time is now what I charge for part time. Their new price for their new baby will be 100 bucks more per month. I really hope this doesn't become an issue ugh.

There are MANY things I love about my job. The money aspect of it is not fun to me....
I would charge the new prices for the incoming babies. Once you stop worry about the parents think you will be a lot happier.

I would state something like current infant rates are x per week.
Homebody 04:24 PM 09-12-2018
I have a mom expecting a baby and I'm giving her the same old rate as her daughter who is in our care instead of the new rate. New families get the new rate, but new babies of a current family get whatever rate their other child has.

Its really up to you though on how you want to do it. Its your business, and I don't think there's a right or wrong way when it comes to this.
rosieteddy 05:09 PM 09-12-2018
Charge them the new rate.If they question you I would point out that it is 5 dollars a day more for the infant.They are getting a cut on the older child already.Be prepared for the inevitable question"do I get a sibling discount".I had a friend who when parents asked she always replied"do you get a discount on a Happy Meal".Usually got the point across.Plan ahead so you know what you want to say,or send a notice spelling it out.Good luck.
LysesKids 05:57 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I have a mom expecting a baby and I'm giving her the same old rate as her daughter who is in our care instead of the new rate. New families get the new rate, but new babies of a current family get whatever rate their other child has.

Its really up to you though on how you want to do it. Its your business, and I don't think there's a right or wrong way when it comes to this.
My current families knew that siblings were charged the new rates coming in... had 3 in the last few years and they never had issues because they understood my cost increased yearly
Homebody 07:23 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
My current families knew that siblings were charged the new rates coming in... had 3 in the last few years and they never had issues because they understood my cost increased yearly
Like I said I don't think there is a wrong way or right way of doing it. This is how I've chosen to run my business by giving current families the same rate for new babies as their sibling, and really has nothing to do with me worrying about any issues with families. It's just what I want to do
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Lovisa:

I'm sure they pay a little more for diapers, formula, car seats etc with their new baby than they did with their other kids so increased costs should really be expected not surprising. kwim?

I am sure over the years every expense in their life has increased a bit as that is the way it works so this idea that parents should pay the exact same rate for every additional kid they have is ridiculous and a bit selfish if you really think about it.

I wouldn't say anything. But if the parents do, just manage it matter-of-factly and say something like "Yep, just like everything else in life the costs go up every year." and then move along like it is no big deal. Because it really isn't.
hwichlaz 08:34 AM 09-13-2018
I don’t discount parents when their kids hit the new age bracket either. I currently charge $36 per day for infants. But by the time those infants are preschoolers, my preschool rate will have been upped to $36 a day. So your rate is locked in when you start....for THAT child.
gumdrops 09:45 AM 09-14-2018
I would charge your new rate for the new baby.

I have a family who has 2 kids in school now and a 2 yr old. They started with me 5 years ago. Last year I decided to require all kids who are here during the day (not after school kids) to come in the summer. This DCM was upset because the reason they came to me was because "I didn't require summer care".

If they have another baby in a year or two, does she expect me to stick to all of my original "rules". By the time that youngest child goes to school, they will be with me for 10+ years.

I'm impressed that you all don't change rates for current families. When my rate changes, it changes for everyone.
Tags:price increase, tuition, tuition - pricing
Reply Up