Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Mad Over Kids Getting Sick or Having Hives
Dreamer0311 10:05 AM 07-15-2019
So two children got sick as soon as they showed symptoms parents were called and children picked up. Then one came today and has hives on her face. Her brother was one of the ones that got sick and then she has hives now today. The parent basically gave me a what for, because of it....?? She developed these hives at home on Saturday not here. Do you ever have parents that just give you a what for, for really nothing? Taking things out on you when of course it is not something you can control. I am being blamed because she thinks it is because of bugs biting them outside after I have told her now 5 times to bring them bug spray I am not supplying it because of how many diff allergies children have and here parents are supposed to supply it. She has never lived in the country which I have all my life and I can understand that is something new to her I guess but then again I just have always had bug bites as a normal occurrence in life. Idk 😐 thoughts...???
springv 10:34 AM 07-15-2019
I would not try to explain to her why and let her figure it out
boy_mom 05:04 PM 07-15-2019
I would never allow a parent to "give me what for"... they'd be shown the door after their little temper tantrum.

If they dont send in bug spray as requested, start turning away at the door. In my daycare, parents supplied their own sunscreen and bug repellent. I dont think you are doing anything wrong- I would have a hard time not terming them ASAP!
LysesKids 05:38 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Dreamer0311:
So two children got sick as soon as they showed symptoms parents were called and children picked up. Then one came today and has hives on her face. Her brother was one of the ones that got sick and then she has hives now today. The parent basically gave me a what for, because of it....?? She developed these hives at home on Saturday not here. Do you ever have parents that just give you a what for, for really nothing? Taking things out on you when of course it is not something you can control. I am being blamed because she thinks it is because of bugs biting them outside after I have told her now 5 times to bring them bug spray I am not supplying it because of how many diff allergies children have and here parents are supposed to supply it. She has never lived in the country which I have all my life and I can understand that is something new to her I guess but then again I just have always had bug bites as a normal occurrence in life. Idk 😐 thoughts...???
Parents that refuse to supply things like Bug spray or sun lotion, would be sent away until they brought them. I use to tell parents, after 2 notices, daycare is refused until supplies are brought in; If I had to supply them, I added a hefty fee, which was to be paid by end of week or no daycare the next week. I had a policy, that daycare will be refused until all fees are paid in full (supplies, late fees etc)
e.j. 06:46 PM 07-15-2019
If a parent gave me "what for", I'd be looking to replace the family as quickly as possible. Also, if a child showed up here with hives and no doctor's note to indicate what the cause was, I'd have sent that child home. Hives can appear for many reasons, including food allergies. Your dcg's hives may have been caused by insect bites but without knowing exactly what caused them - not what the parent thinks caused them - I'd be very uncomfortable taking on the responsibility of caring for the child. As far as insect bites are concerned, I would have reminded the parent that insects in the summer are a fact of life and some do bite. If she's that concerned, why hasn't she provided repellent for her child?
MelissaP 05:35 AM 07-23-2019
I refuse to provide any sort of sick care. I don't get paid enough for any of that. Currently, I have a kid with diarrhea and another episode, he gets a free ticket home for at least 24 hours. This kid is ALWAYS sick with something. It's not the type of diarrhea that can't be contained by a diaper but if he wasn't wearing a diaper, he would be on the toilet with what anyone would consider to be loose stools.
Hives are the same thing. You never know why the child has them and there is a difference between a bug bite and a hive. My son would get HUGE hives from mosquito bites, and I knew that but I would never had even considered sending him to daycare without a note of clearance or to make the provider feel bad for having those rules in place (or even telling me sorry but no, even with a doctor note). I sure as heck don't want to be sick, so why would I send my possibly sick child to a provider and then have to take more time off because my sick child gave my provider some sort of illness and perhaps be looking for other care because I am the jerk parent that did that.. Parents need to get it together.
It's sad to say but child care is a dime a dozen.. there is one on every corner and the next one will allow sick kids and (then be the complainer about how much their job sucks, and that they are always sick). The parents never learn and just keep bouncing their kids around like it's no big deal. That also has long term effects and it's okay, but it's the reality.
Also, take note.. most of the time when a parent is looking for child care past the age of 3, there's a reason.. they probably got let go from the last place for their kid being sick, parent problems (bringing their child sick and having that why attitude or child problems (hostile maybe)..

HHangout 07:14 PM 07-31-2019
I agree with the above, refuse them at the door for repeated issues. But I also wouldnt allow any type of rash in unless a doctor diagnosed it.
Tags:bug spray, hives, parents - don't cooperate, sunscreen
Reply Up