Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Serve Meals?...Advice Pls
frugalmama4 09:12 AM 02-14-2012
Happy Valentine's Day...much love

I need help making my life easier "so sick of dish washing/sweeping" I currently serve the kids on plastic re-usable plates w/plastic spoons and cups w/lids. I have three who eat w/no help and three infants starting to hand feed themselves.

I've been thinking about doing all paper " just can't bring myself to throw out $$$" I mean we use paper plates for our own family and the hubby washes them

And them the floors I seem to spend more time sweeping then teaching lately...thinking of getting a cheap plastic table cover (from dollar store) and place under the infants high chair, and just dust it off over the trash (maybe). But still have the older kids (whom makes a big miss then the infants)

Help me pls, what do you do/use? Thanks
lil angels 09:26 AM 02-14-2012
I don't ever put away my dyson I clean the floors when done eating and I use plastic reusable stuff to and everything goes right into the dishwasher it gets ran once a day sometimes twice. It is never ending but I don't think there is anyway around it.

Good luck
bice99 09:28 AM 02-14-2012
I throw a cloth tablecloth (meant for a card table) on the floor under my high chair. I have 2 so I can wash them every other day with my normal laundry. I do all washable plastic stuff (IKEA). We use paper plates every so often (for our own family), but I cannot stand watching them go in the trash. Reduce, reuse, recycle. But I also have a small crew, so I only have to run my dishwasher twice a day total.
daycare 09:33 AM 02-14-2012
I use all the stuff from Ikea too. The only issue I have is that some of the kids bite on the forks breaking the prongs off.

I have all carpet in my house, so I can relate. I bought a cheap Bamboo mat that goes under the eating table. I have a nice hand vac/sweeper and I use it after every meal.

I try to let the LO feed themselves, but also try to reduce the amount of food waste as well. It seems like sometimes they have more on them than got into their little mouths.

I give them just a little bit, enough for a few bites to feed themselves. Then I feed them. This way there is not a lot of waste, I know that they got plenty to eat and I don't have a giant mess to clean up..

Small small portions....
saved4always 09:39 AM 02-14-2012
I only have 3 kids right now so my mess is not too bad. I use reusable plastic plates and utensils that I throw in the dishwasher. Two of the 3 bring thier own filled cup(s) in the morning so they get used for the day and then I wipe food off the outsides and stick them back in the diaper bags. If I have time, I will hand wash the cups but, I think the dads must close them because sometimes I cannot muscle the lids off....or else I am just a wimp. When they all finish lunch, I have them stay seated while I quickly put thier dishes in the dishwasher, then I wipe them and they can go play while I wipe the trays of thier seats off. They are all pretty young, so they sit in booster seats on the floor that have trays. So, I don't have to worry about food under the seats getting on the kitchen chairs...that would be one more thing to clean. They love that they can run to "their" seat for snack and lunch and just sit down. Saves me a lot of lifting, too.

When they were younger, I did use a plastic mat under the high chair but it honestly made more work for me than just wiping the floor. It was too big to successfully dump anything into the garbage can and I just ended up wiping it with wipes or paper towels the same as I would the floor. And then I had to fold it up and put it somewhere out of the way. So, it is just sitting in the basement.
melskids 09:55 AM 02-14-2012
I use plastic dishes, and hand wash the old fashion way. I dont have a dishwasher.

As far as the floor goes, the dog usually beats me to sweeping, but I wet swiffer everyday after she's done.
renodeb 10:01 AM 02-14-2012
I use plastic reusable stuff, I bought enough to not have to run the dw every day. Usually I run it 3 times a week. I try not to waste either. I usually clean up the dishes and stuff right after lunch and then mop while/sweep at nap time. I have a tile kitchen so I have to keep up on the mopping. I have 4 that feed them selves and 2 that need help. They dont all eat at the same time so thats why I mop at nap time. I have debated the paper plat ething to but its just to much waste IMO! I think having enough plates and stuff so you can do a few meals with out having to wash helps.
Debbie
saved4always 10:06 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I use plastic reusable stuff, I bought enough to not have to run the dw every day. Usually I run it 3 times a week. I try not to waste either. I usually clean up the dishes and stuff right after lunch and then mop while/sweep at nap time. I have a tile kitchen so I have to keep up on the mopping. I have 4 that feed them selves and 2 that need help. They dont all eat at the same time so thats why I mop at nap time. I have debated the paper plat ething to but its just to much waste IMO! I think having enough plates and stuff so you can do a few meals with out having to wash helps.
Debbie
I have enough plastic wear for at least 2 days, too. I usually have to run the dishwasher by then because I also have my family's dishes that have filled it. Of course, I only have the 3 children and only 1 of them is here everyday so it is easy for me. With more kids, the dishwasher would fill much more quickly.
small_steps 10:24 AM 02-14-2012
I use paper plates and the kids know to toss their plates in the trash and put their spoons/forks, and cups in the sink. At walmart I get 150 of the foam plates for $3.50 and it takes less than two of those for one month. Of course I end up using them for my family too on the weekends and after hours sometimes. I do use the ziploc cups with lids and straws. The kids bite on the straws so I buy a pack of 100 from walmart for .98 and use those and throw the straws away every day. 1 straw per day and usually 1 paper plate per day depending on what we have for breakfast (usually I will serve breakfast and snack on a napkin). I know it costs a little extra but its easier for me and I think its worth it. I only have to wash their cups and eating utensils daily and that cuts back a little. Sweeping...no way around that I don't think. I have never swept more in my life than since I've opened my home daycare. I must sweep 5 times a day!
frugalmama4 11:48 AM 02-14-2012
Thanks you guys give great tips!

I think I will try the table cover under the high chairs (not sure about the big kids table yet). Yea, I will also need to buy more re-usable plates currently have one set per-kid, it would be a lot more helpful to have a set per-meal then I can load them in the dish washer. Also thinking of getting extra cups w/lids that way I can per-fill them in the morning "it's usually milk or oj for breakfast, then juice for lunch and water for snacks and in between" so anything to stay out the kitchen sink at this point

now the sweeping, I have the swifter wet jet and dry brush but the refills are so much $$$ (will need to get my coupon binder out..asap)!

Do you guys mop every day? I hate to mop? I guess I will need to beg da hubby with Thanks so much...you guys ROCK!
AmyLeigh 12:27 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Thanks you guys give great tips!

now the sweeping, I have the swifter wet jet and dry brush but the refills are so much $$$ (will need to get my coupon binder out..asap)!

Do you guys mop every day? I hate to mop? I guess I will need to beg da hubby with Thanks so much...you guys ROCK!
I think it is Libman that makes a mop similar to the wet jet, but with a container you can fill with your own cleaning solution and a machine washable micro fiber cloth.
I sweep several times a day, but wet jet 2x a week and mop 1x a week (actually, hubs does that on Saturdays ).
Heidi 12:42 PM 02-14-2012
I am just transitioning from plastic plates to stoneware for everyone, and open cups (little espresso mugs).

After reading that article about french children, I was really motivated to step it up a notch. We already eat at the table together, but now we are working on using utensils properly, using "real" plates, and serving themselves.

One of my twins (18months) was really being a "big boy" at lunch today. I helped him serve himself 2nds of vegies, then turned away to help someone, leaving the bowl in his reach accidently. When I turned back, he'd eaten all his, and was helping himself to another scoop. So cute! I got lucky, though...

Because I just went to breakable plates, I put an older but large area rug under my dinning table. If someone drops something, it won't shatter then. After my shih tzu does his cleanup routine, there's not really even anything to vacuum! Of course, I do, anyway. I'll probably have to buy a rug shampooer, though...
Meeko 12:55 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I think it is Libman that makes a mop similar to the wet jet, but with a container you can fill with your own cleaning solution and a machine washable micro fiber cloth.
I sweep several times a day, but wet jet 2x a week and mop 1x a week (actually, hubs does that on Saturdays ).
I have one of these too! Love it!
mac60 12:55 PM 02-14-2012
I use kids plastic ware from IKEA, plates, bowls, cups, plastic silverware. It is the preschoolers who make the mess here. Usually looks like I just slopped the hogs when they are done. Those in highchairs that throw their food, they get a bite or two at a time, and only food that keeps the mess at bay. Once they learn to eat without throwing, they can get applesauce, corn, in servings vs spoonful.

Corelle, I don't know if any of you ever had a Corelle dish shatter on you, but that is probably one of the worst type of dishes to use for daycare. The other day a Corelle cereal bowl fell from counter and landed on the throw rug in front of the sink....it shattered into hundreds of pieces and they shattered over 8 feet away. I was thankful the dc kids were not here at the time, or that my dogs were not in the kitchen at the time. They are deadly, just like shrapnel.
Heidi 12:57 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
I use kids plastic ware from IKEA, plates, bowls, cups, plastic silverware. It is the preschoolers who make the mess here. Usually looks like I just slopped the hogs when they are done. Those in highchairs that throw their food, they get a bite or two at a time, and only food that keeps the mess at bay. Once they learn to eat without throwing, they can get applesauce, corn, in servings vs spoonful.

Corelle, I don't know if any of you ever had a Corelle dish shatter on you, but that is probably one of the worst type of dishes to use for daycare. The other day a Corelle cereal bowl fell from counter and landed on the throw rug in front of the sink....it shattered into hundreds of pieces and they shattered over 8 feet away. I was thankful the dc kids were not here at the time, or that my dogs were not in the kitchen at the time. They are deadly, just like shrapnel.
Yes! My sister has Corelle, and it doesn't usually break, but when it does, it's freaky!
DCMom 12:59 PM 02-14-2012
I serve family style; I go around the table with firsts then I put the bowls/platters on the table and the kids serve themselves seconds. I use Corelle 7" salad plates and the 4oz plastic juice tumblers from one of the supply catalogs. Regular sized forks and spoons. 30 of each, so enough for the day then run the dishwasher while I am making dinner.

I will occasionally use paper cups and plates, usually on Fridays.

I have two Shihtzu's, so keeping the floor clean isn't a problem
DCMom 01:01 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Interesting. I have used my set of Corelle for over 20 years and have never had a dish break like that.
bice99 01:05 PM 02-14-2012
My kids do use "real" utensils once they are old enough. Plastic ones just don't work well for much.
MarinaVanessa 01:30 PM 02-14-2012

I spot mop everyday and then mop well once a week. I have a swiffer also but I don't waste my money on the refills. I buy white terry cloths (can get them from any home improvement store) and use that instead of buying the refills. Then I fill a spray bottle with floor cleaner/water solution, spray the floor then spot mop it with the swiffer/terry cloth mop. At the end of the week I do the same thing but do the whole floor at once and use a scrub brush for the stuff that sticks real good to the floor (if needed, but usually it's not).

PS: I notices your name. I'm frugal too, another money saving tip that I like to use for the dishwasher is using white vinigar instead of a drying agent. It works just as well and cost much MUCH less $$$. It also cleans food and water deposits from your dishwasher. Our old dishwasher was almost 10 years and the inside still looked brand new. We were able to sell it for $200 and when we bought a new $one when we redid our kitchen because the old one was in such good condition.
frugalmama4 01:39 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I spot mop everyday and then mop well once a week. I have a swiffer also but I don't waste my money on the refills. I buy white terry cloths (can get them from any home improvement store) and use that instead of buying the refills. Then I fill a spray bottle with floor cleaner/water solution, spray the floor then spot mop it with the swiffer/terry cloth mop. At the end of the week I do the same thing but do the whole floor at once and use a scrub brush for the stuff that sticks real good to the floor (if needed, but usually it's not).

PS: I notices your name. I'm frugal too, another money saving tip that I like to use for the dishwasher is using white vinigar instead of a drying agent. It works just as well and cost much MUCH less $$$. It also cleans food and water deposits from your dishwasher. Our old dishwasher was almost 10 years and the inside still looked brand new. We were able to sell it for $200 and when we bought a new $one when we redid our kitchen because the old one was in such good condition.
Thanks for the tip "terry cloths" who-new will have to pick some up. Thx
daycare 01:43 PM 02-14-2012
Thanks for the tip "terry cloths" who-new will have to pick some up. Thx
I don't have a mop I have a scrub brush on a nice pole. I spray the floor with bleach, scrub it and then use old big towel to wipe up. The scrub brush cost $16.99 3 years ago at home depot!!!
saved4always 01:56 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Wow...I didn't know you could use vinegar instead of Jet Dry...that stuff is so pricey! I am going to have to try the vinegar!
Jewels 05:49 PM 02-14-2012
I use plastic plates, real silverware, I have a dog, and that helps immensly with floor clean up, when my husband goes hunting and steals the dog, I can;t believe the floors, so thankful I have him to help me! I do however use paper plates/ bowls and paper cups for afternoon snack, I buy the huge bags at costco, and I get the little plates and bowls (foam is much cheaper, but foam is horrible for the environment so I wont use that) So after lunch time, everything goes in the dishwasher, and then for snack, it all tossable, its a little extra waste, but makes my life so much easier after lunch, so theres nothing else that needs washing, and it works well for training the little ones to drink from normal cups, I just have them filled with a little water, And its nice, I have them all within the kids reach, so the kids are all responsible everyday for making sure everyone has waters( the 13 month old still gets a sippy) for nap time, and then the kids can all throw everyhting away after.
Jewels 06:18 PM 02-14-2012
duplicate post
christinaskids 06:29 PM 02-14-2012
I have little plastic trays that i use for meals and for cups i use those squiggly straw cups. Each child has their own and uses it all day and the little ones have sippies they use all day. My dog helps a ton with the crumbs but i usually have to sweep after snack.
jojosmommy 06:35 PM 02-14-2012
I use paper plates, small paper cups from sams club and real silverware. It costs me less than 20 a year to do that. We have a water restriction where I live so if you use more than the standard allotment per household it costs mucho bucks. 1 dishwasher run per day already sets me past the allotment so there is no way I will do any more dishes than I already do.

For clean up, I use my dog first, a hand held small vac after every meal and mop with my swiffer as needed (about 1-2x a week).
TBird 08:53 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I use all the stuff from Ikea too. The only issue I have is that some of the kids bite on the forks breaking the prongs off.
What stuff do you use from IKEA??? I just came from there and bought some forks & spoons and some bowls. I use their smocks, cubbies, & storage bins. What am I missing???
KDC 01:12 PM 02-15-2012
http://zoopals.pactiv.com/ZPFuntensils/

These zoo pal forks are about $3 for 24pk (mixed forks, spoons, knifes & spreaders) ... they can be put in the dishwasher and work really well for little hands =) I use the ikea bowls and plates.
Tags:meals
Reply Up