Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Termed Because You Can't Deal With The Parent?
My Lil' Monkeys 04:17 AM 02-03-2011
I'm just wondering if anyone has termed because they can not deal with a dcp or dcps? How did you do it? Did it happen after the 2 week trial?
sahm1225 04:36 AM 02-03-2011
Im curious to see the responses to your question.

I have NOT termed, but i do have one family that sometimes makes me wish I did and just say 'irreconsilable (sound it out, no clue how to spell it!) differences'
JenNJ 04:52 AM 02-03-2011
I have never termed bc of a parents, but I have not accepted a child into care bc of the parent/s. If I don't like them at the interview, I don't take the kids.
Little People 05:01 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I have never termed bc of a parents, but I have not accepted a child into care bc of the parent/s. If I don't like them at the interview, I don't take the kids.
I have done this one time and it was just a week or so ago!
Mrs.Ky 06:17 AM 02-03-2011
Yes I have termed because of a parent and not the child, the Mother always argued my policies, was late picking up alot and paid late alot I didnt like her that much either. I also have had an interview where I didnt accept because of the Mom she smelled of booze and I knew if she drank before coming to an interview WITH her child and driving that she would be picking him up smelling of booze and I didnt wanna be put in that situation of having to let the child go when his Mom was drunk.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 02-03-2011
I termed a few years ago because the dcm was much like the one Mrs. Ky describes...(not the drinking part tho) just always arguing my policies, paid late, late pick ups/drop offs, disrespectful and just not a good fit for me. The last straw was that she told me she thought I was abusing her child because I made him come outside with me and all the other kids every afternoon. (it was summer). She said her child was just not an outdoorsy kid and if he wanted to stay inside and watch TV then he should be allowed to (he was 4.5 yrs old). I told her EVERYONE went outside and I could not leave him unattended inside while the rest of us were outside. She said I should hire someone to assist if I had too! So one week, the dcb literally stood outside in the center of yard and screamed/yelled for like 3 days in a row and I just frankly had had enough....told mom I didnt think it was working and she needed to find a daycare that would stay inside all day and not force her kid to get fresh air.

A few months later, I noticed an ad in the local newspaper and she ended up opening her own daycare. (she only lived like 3 blocks from my dc) and after about 3 months of her being open I started getting phone calls from people looking for care...turned out they all had been in her care and found out all she did was turn the TV on and let the kids run free all day. Needless to say I ended up with 3 of her families (2 of which I still have) and she closed down shortly after everyone left. She wasn't a bad person, just had a VERY different caregiver style than me. I did like her kid, his issues were just that I wasn't the type of caregiver he was used to so.....
....all in all it worked out okay for me...because I got some new families because of the whole fiasco.
E Daycare 10:57 AM 02-03-2011
I just posted an ad to get some interviews coming in so I can replace my dck. This would be the dck from the nebulizer thread. Not because of the neb issues but overall because of the parents. Once Im able to replace Im going to hand them a termination letter that states "Its not me its you" and be on my way. It sucks when the parents have to ruin it.

So far Ive dealt with:
-Very late/very early drop offs with no phone calls informing me
-Late pick ups with no intention of having a backup pick up dck
-Parents cars breaking down in my driveway and then having to stay at my house till they could get figure out what to do.
-Parents not heading me when I say my driveway is icy and sliding down my driveway into the mailbox (even though we salt and shovel our driveway is on a bad angle and even a small amount left over causes issues)
-Not bringing supplies when asked more then 2 or 3 times
-Late payments
-Both parents arriving at the same time and then arguing about it because they didnt inform each other they were coming to get dkc
-Parents blocking my garage while they argued about the above resulting in my husband being late to work cause he couldnt get out of the garage.
-Not bringing me my updated policy signed since I sent it out on Dec 31st and its now Feb 3rd. And I gave them multiple copies.

All this stuff is mostly recent and documented within the past month. Other issues too since they started in October. I want to stick a pencil in my ear now so its time to let them go.
lvt77 11:04 AM 02-03-2011
Yes, when the parents cant follow the rules in my PHB i will term them.. So far only one has been term for not following the rules. It was extreme breaking of almost all of the rules
momma2girls 11:08 AM 02-03-2011
I have had some real winners over the yrs. sometimes you get that funny feeling at the interview, and right there you should say no, it will not be a good fit. You should always notice all the big red flags.
Reply Up