Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stay at Home Order Expires May 4th (for now)... Continue to Close?
LeslieG 04:02 AM 04-22-2020
I have had my daycare closed since March 16th... not charging families anything!

Currently, my state (MN) has a stay at home order until May 4th. I sent out a letter stating that I'll be closed until then. I'm guessing that our Governor will extend the stay at home order. We will see.

I'm just so worried about reopening daycare. In all honesty, I don't want to yet. My husband (who works from home) and I are young (in our 30's), but I also have a 5 and 2 year old, and I just had a baby 2 weeks ago. I'm mostly concerned about my newborn baby.

I do daycare with my sister at my house, so she could be the one working the daycare downstairs, while I stay upstairs with my baby. But really, if the virus came into my house, I don't think staying upstairs would prevent us from getting it.

As of now, all of my families are able to have at least one parent working from home. I just feel bad continuing to close for such a long time.

Wwyd?
Valerie928 04:49 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I have had my daycare closed since March 16th... not charging families anything!

Currently, my state (MN) has a stay at home order until May 4th. I sent out a letter stating that I'll be closed until then. I'm guessing that our Governor will extend the stay at home order. We will see.

I'm just so worried about reopening daycare. In all honesty, I don't want to yet. My husband (who works from home) and I are young (in our 30's), but I also have a 5 and 2 year old, and I just had a baby 2 weeks ago. I'm mostly concerned about my newborn baby.

I do daycare with my sister at my house, so she could be the one working the daycare downstairs, while I stay upstairs with my baby. But really, if the virus came into my house, I don't think staying upstairs would prevent us from getting it.

As of now, all of my families are able to have at least one parent working from home. I just feel bad continuing to close for such a long time.

Wwyd?
It sounds like you are not comfortable with the idea of opening. I don't blame you. If I had a newborn I certainly would not open anytime soon either.
284878 05:44 AM 04-22-2020
What would I do?
I would be taking maternity leave, effective immediately.
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by LeslieG:

Wwyd?
The stay at home order in MN doesn't mean daycares have to be closed. I have been open the whole time and have not closed.

I agree with the others and if you are uncomfortable being open, don't open.
rosieteddy 06:39 AM 04-22-2020
In Ma. they just extended the daycare closure to June 29th. Two reasons I would stay closed if I were you.1-newborn baby. No way if I could afford to close indefinitely would I reopen. You are correct in saying if the virus comes into your home chances are someone there will be infected. The heating systems in most houses will circulate air.2-You will never get this time back. Enjoy your family. If you are not getting paid and parent is home I would call it at least until we see what happens when things reopen. Could your sister go to her house if anyone needs care? We have never had anything like this so everything is unexpected.Remember if you stay closed you can always start fresh when reopening.
jenboo 07:26 AM 04-22-2020
If you can afford to stay closed, stay closed and enjoy the time with your family.
Unregistered 01:55 PM 04-24-2020
My husband and I are both high risk. I have made the decision to close. I will re access the situation in the fall. Right now, I'm leaning toward nanny work. Look into applying for Pandemic Unemployment (PUA). I qualified because I closed specifically because of c-19.

Take the time off. Enjoy your baby!
AmyKidsCo 01:28 PM 04-28-2020
ITA that if you can afford to stay closed, stay closed.

I've been open this whole time, but no one in my household is high risk. And we can't afford for me to close anyway...
Tags:coronavirus - afterwards
Reply Up