Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
Unregistered 11:26 AM 06-10-2020
What would you do if you just found out a dcm was pregnant but you don't want to take the infant? Other than being conviently full at the time they will need care? They are way over protective of their 3 year old who's been here for over a year now and they still text multiple times a day. I just don't think I can handle these parents with an infant.
284878 11:44 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What would you do if you just found out a dcm was pregnant but you don't want to take the infant? Other than being conviently full at the time they will need care? They are way over protective of their 3 year old who's been here for over a year now and they still text multiple times a day. I just don't think I can handle these parents with an infant.
It has always worked out in the end for me. Covid got me out of taking the last infant. The one before that, I got another child a week before DCM asked. So I was full. Now she is waiting for me but I will use see distance learning as an excuse.

Things that I do is... not bringing up the baby. Not holding conversation about the pregnancy. Use the age old line that at this time you are not planning on adding a child.
And social distancing is helping me avoid the conversation.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 06-10-2020
I don't take infants unless they're siblings of current children. Won't the 3 yr old be in 4K next year? If he's not enrolled the infant won't be a sibling...
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I wouldn't say anything. A lot can happen in the next few months that it may not even be an issue.

As for the way over-protectiveness of the current child, I can tell you that a fundamental change happens in a family when baby #2 is born. Suddenly these "do all/be all" parents don't have the time or energy to be so "perfect" anymore and their protectiveness quickly becomes not so important.

Most the time, the families I've had in care for baby #2 start ditching their kids more often as well as stop caring so much about every tiny detail of their lives.

But, if the family has outright asked you to take the baby, I'd just say that you can't promise anything but will let them know when the time gets closer.
Cat Herder 01:30 PM 06-10-2020
I agree with BC. Everything changes with number two.

Many of my most golden families with child number one were almost hands-off with number two.

It is a known thing.
LittleExplorers 04:28 PM 06-10-2020
I agree with BC. I would also put an end to the multiple texts a day if it bugs you. I don't mind new parents checking in a few times a day until they are comfortable. Even some long term clients check in once a day. More than that and I simply don't respond after telling the once I spend time with kids, not on my phone.
Tags:daily connect, helicopter parenting, middle child, second child, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up