Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parking at Drop Off's and Pick Ups
tenderhearts 09:31 AM 09-13-2010
I've had problems in the past with just a couple parents blocking my drive way or my neighbors driveways at drop off and pick ups. I have one mom right now who drives a big lifted truck and she is ALWAYS blocking my driveway and my neighbors. I have told her not to block my neighbors driveways not only is it inconsiderate but we have some nasty neighbors so I don't want to further make them more nasty. She hasn't blocked their driveways anymore but she always pulls up along the whole bottom of my driveway, so it prevents anyone else from pulling in or pulling out. I have kind of must not said anything because I was just glad she wasn't blocking my neighbors anymore but my husband is getting ticked by it. He was trying to leave the other day and couldn't get around or anything. I know I need to tell her, but I was wondering what kind of policies you have for pick up and drop offs. She's usually pretty quick in the pick up and drop off but there are times she'll sit out there for 10 min and text or talk on her phone.
thanks.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 09-13-2010
Is there a place where you'd prefer her to park? Rather than telling her where she can't park (in front of your neighbor's driveway), it might help if you told her where she can park so she isn't in anyone's way.
DCMom 10:26 AM 09-13-2010
Anyone who has a solution to this, I would love to hear it...

This is the single thing that drives my dh's nuts; at least twice a week for the last 5 years, the same dcm parked in front of his spot in the garage. No matter how many emails, notes on the board, personal verbal requests, etc. it stops for awhile, then she starts up again. My husband has even said something to her about it directly. Apparently it is simply not possible for her to park in the street like every other parent. And she's a 'lingerer'. She sits and chats with all the other parents at pick up; my dh's has even called her cell phone from the street to ask her to move her car when he got home from work.

This summer we extended our driveway; three stalls wide to the street thinking it would solve the problem. Even with 4 other spots to choose from, she still parks in his spot.

She just doesn't care and I find it incredibly rude and disrespectful, but short of sitting in the middle of the the driveway with 10 kids at pick up time what do you do?

Maybe I should charge her a parking fee.
tenderhearts 10:38 AM 09-13-2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Most everyone is considerate, I've had a few who just seem clueless to anyone else. Thing is she is blocking everyone from anything, so if someone wants to pull in they can't, no one can pull out, she blocks BOTH sides of it. So this morning AGAIN she pulls right across the whole bottom and another parent pulled up and had to park behind her and it's not a long walk but definetly more inconveneint especially when that parent can see the drive way is clear, but he can't pull in front of her because on that side our neighbors driveway is right next to it so he'd block her driveway. So my husband wants me to say something to her again, my fear (she's kind of, well alot, dingy) is she'll block a neighbors driveway.
grrrrr some people, but everything else about her is great!!! So because of that do you squaddle about something like that or leave it?
MarinaVanessa 11:04 AM 09-13-2010
I have a whole mess of policies and parking is one of my favorites. I won't tolerate blocking driveways period. Here's what I've got. I live in a condo on a corner lot so keep in mind that my front door and my driveway (one car driveway since we only have a 1 car garage) are on opposite sides of my home and I have one other extra space next to the unit assigned to my home (my BIL parks here and gets home about 4:10-4:30pm).

Parking
Space for parking is limited and so to facilitate the pick-up and drop-off process the child care home driveway will be available for use during business hours. Parking in the spot next to the home and labeled with the home address is also available between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Additional parking is available on the main street. When dropping off or picking up, please be considerate and not stay in the drive for too long.
At no time is parking in or blocking neighboring driveways, neighboring parking spaces or red curbs allowed.

You could do something like this and then include something about how if they don't abide by the rules then they will no longer have access to park in the driveway period or something or maybe that they incur a small fine (like $5) each time they block someone in or out. If you don't want to go that route write a newsletter addressed to all of the parents stating that you have issues with people blocking the driveway and how your husband and other families have been blocked in or out and remind them to have common curtousy and think about others. Make it real nice and sweet and don't specify who it is but keep giving them out each week until it stops. Most times parent's know who the offending parent is and they themselves may make comments. I did this when a DCM didn't get the hint and I passed the notice out to everyone all at once (they all happened to be here at once) and another mom read it (who was blocked in at one point) and made a comment like "Oh, this is still happening? Wow, too bad. It's such a hassle not being able to get out". She said it while the other mom was there and you could tell that the DCM registered what was being said and seemed a little embarrased. It just so happened that the same day at drop-off she had blocked a red zone that the maintence trucks used so I received a letter and a fine the next week lol.

For me it's easier to enforce the rules because we have a HOA that will fine a home if guests double park, park in unassigned spaces, block driveways, park in red curbs etc. and I have a policy that reads that if I incur a fine from my HOA because of a family then the family pays the fine. They are steep here and climb $50 after each offense. It's only happened once where we got fined and the parent paid the fee but the next one is $100 so it hasn't happened again.
MarinaVanessa 11:11 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
This is the single thing that drives my dh's nuts; at least twice a week for the last 5 years, the same dcm parked in front of his spot in the garage. No matter how many emails, notes on the board, personal verbal requests, etc. it stops for awhile, then she starts up again.
In this case because you have already talked to her and discussed the issue and she doesn't get it AND even extended the driveway so she can park in another spot and she still parks in your husbands spot I would just buy cones and frame his spot. I'd make it wide enough so that your husband can slip in and out easily and not have to get out of his truck each time to move them. I'd also write one other notice explaining that this area is for YOUR DH ONLY and give it to all of the parents. It will be obvious who the notice is meant for. I'd also write in big bold letters "NO PARKING - no blocking" on a sheet of paper and tape it to the cones with arrows. If you're gutsy then maybe add an angry face lol.
DCMom 11:30 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
In this case because you have already talked to her and discussed the issue and she doesn't get it AND even extended the driveway so she can park in another spot and she still parks in your husbands spot I would just buy cones and frame his spot. I'd make it wide enough so that your husband can slip in and out easily and not have to get out of his truck each time to move them. I'd also write one other notice explaining that this area is for YOUR DH ONLY and give it to all of the parents. It will be obvious who the notice is meant for. I'd also write in big bold letters "NO PARKING - no blocking" on a sheet of paper and tape it to the cones with arrows. If you're gutsy then maybe add an angry face lol.

Been there, done that! We have blocked the drive with cones on his side, but she pulls around them and parks in the CENTER of the drive effectively blocking ds and dd who come home from work and school around the same time. I can't figure out if this woman is stupid, clueless, arrogant or just doesn't give a darn. Not one other parent parks in the drive; they park in the street.

I have told my family that the next time it happens, they need to just park her in. And then take the dog for a L-O-N-G walk...with the truck/car keys in his pocket...think she would get the hint then??
tenderhearts 12:30 PM 09-13-2010
Last week when she blocked the whole bottom of the driveway my husband has the car running, she wouldn't have known if he was in it or not but still continued to park there. He waited until she left got in the car and started to back down the driveway, clearly it was obvious he was leaving, he was only about 10 ft from her vehicle at this time, she continued to sit there for about 2 min. DUH!!! It's not that she is being inconsiderate, this person is truly "different". I guess I'll just "remind" her this evening. I was looking back at the contracts, I had made some changes recently and she is not on the "newest" one so hers doesn't have anything about the parking but I've mentioned to her about not blocking my neighbors driveways but you would think she would get a clue when people pull up behind her and can't pull in the driveway because she is parked there.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 12:49 PM 09-13-2010
I think I would just point blank say,.. susan,... Ive asked you many times about the parking,.. I really cant understand why you insist on parking in my husbands space. He works hard and deserves to get into his driveway, and come home after a long day,.... If there is a reason for your doing this then tell me, because it seems like its a power struggle with you about it and I am thinking of terminating care over it. I will give you another chance but if you park in his spot or block my drive again,... Ill terminate our contract.
tenderhearts 12:52 PM 09-13-2010
So would you just tell her AND give her a copy to sign of the added parking policy or would you just say something to her? I've asked not to block neighbors driveways but you would think common sense would be not to block mine either.
missnikki 12:56 PM 09-13-2010
Sounds like you may have to walk out with her and physically SHOW her the exact spot her car should be. Walk over to it and say "This spot is good- any of these here are okay. But nothing from HERE on- this area is only for my family's cars, not the daycare." Ask her each time she comes where she parked. Give positive reinforcement when she does it right. (I am practically rolling my eyes out of my head typing this- parents have been driving me crazy lately too.)
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 01:34 PM 09-13-2010
tender, I would just tell her, she KNOWS what she is doing,.. and just chooses not to care. good luck! and hug your hubby,.. he deserves not tohave to deal with this. hes awesome for not driving through her car.
MarinaVanessa 04:08 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Been there, done that! We have blocked the drive with cones on his side, but she pulls around them and parks in the CENTER of the drive effectively blocking ds and dd who come home from work and school around the same time. I can't figure out if this woman is stupid, clueless, arrogant or just doesn't give a darn. Not one other parent parks in the drive; they park in the street.

I have told my family that the next time it happens, they need to just park her in. And then take the dog for a L-O-N-G walk...with the truck/car keys in his pocket...think she would get the hint then??
Ugh, what a moron. Then I agree wholeheartedly with Laundry. Enough is enough. At this point she just doesn't care and that's totally disrespectful. At this point I'd just tell her that the driveway is forbidden and no longer available for her use. Tell her this is her only notice and that if she parks there again that she can either pay a $5 parking fee per infraction due immediately and/or you'll be forced to initiate the termination process. If you've tried working with her and she isn't complying I'd take that as outright blatant disrespect.
kendallina 05:14 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I've had problems in the past with just a couple parents blocking my drive way or my neighbors driveways at drop off and pick ups. I have one mom right now who drives a big lifted truck and she is ALWAYS blocking my driveway and my neighbors. I have told her not to block my neighbors driveways not only is it inconsiderate but we have some nasty neighbors so I don't want to further make them more nasty. She hasn't blocked their driveways anymore but she always pulls up along the whole bottom of my driveway, so it prevents anyone else from pulling in or pulling out. I have kind of must not said anything because I was just glad she wasn't blocking my neighbors anymore but my husband is getting ticked by it. He was trying to leave the other day and couldn't get around or anything. I know I need to tell her, but I was wondering what kind of policies you have for pick up and drop offs. She's usually pretty quick in the pick up and drop off but there are times she'll sit out there for 10 min and text or talk on her phone.
thanks.
Have you told her directly to not park that way? It sounds like newsletters or memos just won't work with her. I'd tell her directly, tell her the reason why and tell her how you need her to park. Be upfront, but kind.

And if she's coming in your house and talking on the phone or texting, I'd politely tell her to not do that as well. Put up a sign or something that makes childcare a no phone zone. That's so rude.
kendallina 05:15 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Sounds like you may have to walk out with her and physically SHOW her the exact spot her car should be. Walk over to it and say "This spot is good- any of these here are okay. But nothing from HERE on- this area is only for my family's cars, not the daycare." Ask her each time she comes where she parked. Give positive reinforcement when she does it right. (I am practically rolling my eyes out of my head typing this- parents have been driving me crazy lately too.)
lol..this may be the only thing that works!
misol 05:26 PM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I think I would just point blank say,.. susan,... Ive asked you many times about the parking,.. I really cant understand why you insist on parking in my husbands space. He works hard and deserves to get into his driveway, and come home after a long day,.... If there is a reason for your doing this then tell me, because it seems like its a power struggle with you about it and I am thinking of terminating care over it. I will give you another chance but if you park in his spot or block my drive again,... Ill terminate our contract.
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I think that you should do both of these. Ugh! I would be sooooo annoyed at this parent. Do you have your door locked or unlocked at pick up? Either way, if you see her coming meet her at the door. Open the door (blocking the entrance with your body) and say I'm sorry, "I'm going to have to ask you to move your car first."

ETA - My contract says teh following about parking:

Parking
Parking is available on both sides of the street in designated areas. Our private driveway is reserved for the vehicles of family members only. Please do block or park in the driveway of our home (or the homes of our neighbors) at any time.
tenderhearts 06:38 PM 09-13-2010
Thanks, well as I said, she is really not all there, I truly don't think she intentionally is meaning too, I have always that she was a little "odd" to put it nicely, I don't really know how to describe her as being kind of a basket case.
I've never put it in a newsletter because I have only had this problem with one other parent about a year ago and then this one, I've told her not to block my neighbors driveways or mine but when I told her I really stressed the neighbors because we have bad neighbors but you'd think it would be obvious not to block mine especially when a parent pulls up right behind her and can't pull in the driveway.
So today when she picked up she did not block the driveway and parked exactly how she should, so I said "oh thank you for parking like that, I was going to mention to you again to please not block my driveway, to park like you are so other parents can pull in or out, she said oh I know I'm sorry I'm trying to get better. Ok whatever "trying" means, geez just do it. If she can't drive and judge her big lifted truck then she shouldn't be driving it.
She came a few months ago and said someone took out her side mirror, I'm wondering if it was her. So hopefully she'll stop!!

Oh and about how my husband feels, well he has a business at our home as well (his is in the shop) and he has a couple repeated clients that do some irritating, gross things.... Dogs peeing on all my daycare stuff (and all over our yard, our dog is trained to go in one spot), people spitting in our flowers, leaving cig all over, but that's just a few things and a whole other topic that isn't related so I wont go into it, but point is he doesn't like saying anything because he doesn't want to seem "mean".
Tags:parking
Reply Up