Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Jeez..... Late Parent
NightOwl 08:46 PM 04-30-2014
Text all dcps today to ask if they could arrive by 430pm for pick up so I could take my sick dd to the Dr. All say sure! No problem! Except one, of course. No response from dcd. 430pm comes and goes. 5pm, 530..... He arrived at 610pm! I close at 6!! He walked in, said "let's go, dcg" and walked out! Wth?? I don't even know what to make of this. No apology, no excuse, no acknowledgement that I was in the room. NOTHING. Now, my own dd didn't get to see a Dr and I know for a fact that she has an ear infection and sinus infection that are causing her great discomfort. And she will go another day with it because of this a$$hole.
What in the world do I do? This has never happened before. Sometimes dcd is nice and talkative (in the mornings only) and other times, he's very short and grumpy. But this was just off the wall weird and altogether RUDE.
NoMoreJuice! 09:04 PM 04-30-2014
GRRR, what a jerk! But seriously, when it comes to a medical situation, you should be telling parents to pick up, not asking nicely! Your poor little girl! I hope you stick him with a late fee at least.
spud912 09:11 PM 04-30-2014
Ummm, first I would text him or call and remind him to bring the late fee at drop off tomorrow. NO WAY would I let him get away without paying a late fee! Secondly, at drop off tomorrow I would ask him if he received my text yesterday stating that I was closing early. He will most likely say something along the lines of: "[yes or no], but [excuses excuses]," to which I would say, "Well I wasn't sure if there is another form of contact since you are obviously not available for emergencies. Also, all of the other parents took time out of their schedule to pick up early except for you. As a result, I will have to ask everyone to do it again because only one parent (you) failed to do your part. From now on, I expect a response within an hour. Please ensure your phone is on you and you are available."

I'm sorry, I would NOT tolerate this!
NightOwl 10:13 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Ummm, first I would text him or call and remind him to bring the late fee at drop off tomorrow. NO WAY would I let him get away without paying a late fee! Secondly, at drop off tomorrow I would ask him if he received my text yesterday stating that I was closing early. He will most likely say something along the lines of: "[yes or no], but [excuses excuses]," to which I would say, "Well I wasn't sure if there is another form of contact since you are obviously not available for emergencies. Also, all of the other parents took time out of their schedule to pick up early except for you. As a result, I will have to ask everyone to do it again because only one parent (you) failed to do your part. From now on, I expect a response within an hour. Please ensure your phone is on you and you are available."

I'm sorry, I would NOT tolerate this!
Ewwwww! May I use this? You hit the nail on the head.
NightOwl 01:34 AM 05-01-2014
What do you guys think of this? Please critique, as I tend to get long winded in emails.

I'm writing to address Wednesday. I can understand if no one was able to pick Emma up at 4:30 because it was very late notice. What I can't understand is why I was not able to get in touch with dad while mom was out of town. What if she had injured herself or was suddenly sick? No one would have known until someone arrived. I normally expect a response from parents within half an hour, whether it is concerning their child or an emergency of my own. And even if Emma could not be picked up early, a response was still expected.

It is extremely important that I am able to get in touch with a parent at all times. If you will not be reachable at your usual number, I should be notified in the morning when Emma is dropped off and given the new number where someone can be reached.

As a side note, you should know that all of the other parents picked up early, but I did not make it in time for Sydney to be seen by the doctor because I had Emma until 6:10pm. As a result, I will have to ask all of the parents to do it again and I will have to make a second trip to the doctor tomorrow evening.

Please add $10 to Emma's fees this week for the late pick up fee ($1.00 per minute after 6pm).
llpa 02:55 AM 05-01-2014
I don't think there is anything in there you can or should omit. It sounds great. BTW this kind of incident by this arrogant pita parent is one of my hot buttons! What a jacka$$! I was angry for you!
Kabob 05:55 AM 05-01-2014
I consider myself too soft at times but I would've met him with a term letter effective immediately. I get upset when parents are late but I would be livid if they were late and my sick child had to suffer because of it. No. Just no. Not cool. What if it was an emergency? I hope he doesn't have the same response time in that case.

Ooooo I'm so mad for you at dcd!
Unregistered 06:21 AM 05-01-2014
Is there a possibility he didn't get your text? Maybe he didn't have his phone with him? Perhaps he accidently left it in the car that day or at home? After I heard from everyone else but one or two families I would call to confirm they got your message.
Kabob 06:23 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is there a possibility he didn't get your text? Maybe he didn't have his phone with him? Perhaps he accidently left it in the car that day or at home? After I heard from everyone else but one or two families I would call to confirm they got your message.
Regardless....he was still late without any acknowledgement of that fact...
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
What do you guys think of this? Please critique, as I tend to get long winded in emails.

I'm writing to address Wednesday. I can understand if no one was able to pick Emma up at 4:30 because it was very late notice. What I can't understand is why I was not able to get in touch with dad while mom was out of town. What if she had injured herself or was suddenly sick? No one would have known until someone arrived. I normally expect a response from parents within half an hour, whether it is concerning their child or an emergency of my own. And even if Emma could not be picked up early, a response was still expected.

It is extremely important that I am able to get in touch with a parent at all times. If you will not be reachable at your usual number, I should be notified in the morning when Emma is dropped off and given the new number where someone can be reached.

As a side note, you should know that all of the other parents picked up early, but I did not make it in time for Sydney to be seen by the doctor because I had Emma until 6:10pm. As a result, I will have to ask all of the parents to do it again and I will have to make a second trip to the doctor tomorrow evening.

Please add $10 to Emma's fees this week for the late pick up fee ($1.00 per minute after 6pm).
Your e-mail sounds great...just checking about the red part above but did you already go to the doctor once or are you attempting to make it there again?

The way it's worded makes it sound like you went once and are now going again.

Sorry....I am only on my first cup of coffee so I might just be reading that wrong
Tdhmom 06:30 AM 05-01-2014
Makes you wonder if he was late on purpose because of the text...I'm mad for you! Very disrespectful!
NightOwl 06:33 AM 05-01-2014
Yes, he still arrived after closing with no apologies. And if there was a mishap with his phone, he should have contacted me somehow to let me know how to get in touch with him, especially knowing mom was out of town. I texted her and she was also unable to reach him. But she couldn't do anything because she was two hours away.
NightOwl 06:34 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Your e-mail sounds great...just checking about the red part above but did you already go to the doctor once or are you attempting to make it there again?

The way it's worded makes it sound like you went once and are now going again.

Sorry....I am only on my first cup of coffee so I might just be reading that wrong
Yes, we FLEW to the Dr office and arrived about 2 minutes after closing.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 05-01-2014
Text all dcps today to ask if they could arrive by 430pm for pick up so I could take my sick dd to the Dr. All say sure! No problem! Except one, of course. No response from dcd. 430pm comes and goes. 5pm, 530..... He arrived at 610pm! I close at 6!! He walked in, said "let's go, dcg" and walked out! Wth?? I don't even know what to make of this. No apology, no excuse, no acknowledgement that I was in the room. NOTHING. Now, my own dd didn't get to see a Dr and I know for a fact that she has an ear infection and sinus infection that are causing her great discomfort. And she will go another day with it because of this a$$hole.
What in the world do I do? This has never happened before. Sometimes dcd is nice and talkative (in the mornings only) and other times, he's very short and grumpy. But this was just off the wall weird and altogether RUDE.
Does this family give you a list of emergency contacts for those times when they can't be reached?

If so, I would have started calling the emergency contact people after 30 minutes of no response from the dad.

I have it written in my contract that I expect a reply within 30 minutes of contact and will call ALL emergency contacts and if I can't reach anyone on that list by closing time, will call the DHS.

In this day and age of electronic communication at our fingertips, there really is NO valid excuse for someone not replying or communication in some way
NightOwl 06:40 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Does this family give you a list of emergency contacts for those times when they can't be reached?

If so, I would have started calling the emergency contact people after 30 minutes of no response from the dad.

I have it written in my contract that I expect a reply within 30 minutes of contact and will call ALL emergency contacts and if I can't reach anyone on that list by closing time, will call the DHS.

In this day and age of electronic communication at our fingertips, there really is NO valid excuse for someone not replying or communication in some way
EXACTLY. Especially since his lack of communication caused my child to go another day in severe discomfort.
NightOwl 06:41 AM 05-01-2014
AND mom asked last night if I could fit dcg in today. NO, NO I CANNOT.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 05-01-2014
AND mom asked last night if I could fit dcg in today.

*I have no words *

to you and your DD.... I hope she feels better soon.
SquirrellyMama 07:10 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:
Makes you wonder if he was late on purpose because of the text...I'm mad for you! Very disrespectful!
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a passive aggressive response to asking him to pick up early.

Kelly
spud912 07:27 AM 05-01-2014
I think your letter sounds great ! I would leave out that it is a second visit because then the parent will ignorantly think "well then why did she have us pick up early in the first place if she made it there?"
kathiemarie 08:35 AM 05-01-2014
After not being able to get a hold of dad I would have told mom that I was taking DCG to the doctor with me if she was unable to either get a hold of dad of find some one else to pick her child up by the time I requested. I would have left a note on the door for dad telling him where he could get his child. I have done this, I will do this is the future if needed. If parents want the convenience of center care they can pay for center care.
Laurel 09:09 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

No way would I rely on text only. I'd want to tell someone in person so I knew they knew.

Texting is a nice convenience but you never know for sure if someone got it. I would fault myself partially for something like this.

Laurel
daycarediva 09:36 AM 05-01-2014
I would change the email about the second trip to the dr's, to needing to reschedule the appointment and inconvenience the other families to pick up early again, AND that your sick child had to go an entire 24 hours before she was seen.

Depending on their response, they would get 2 weeks notice.

No respect=no stay.
dalman 09:48 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would change the email about the second trip to the dr's, to needing to reschedule the appointment and inconvenience the other families to pick up early again, AND that your sick child had to go an entire 24 hours before she was seen.

Depending on their response, they would get 2 weeks notice.

No respect=no stay.

Naptime yet? 10:03 AM 05-01-2014

I would have left off the "please" and just said, "your late fees for such & such a date are $10 ($1.00 per minute after 6)"

Dcd doesn't deserve a please
NightOwl 11:53 AM 05-01-2014
I'm sending it now, with your corrections! Thanks guys! I'll update.
saved4always 12:05 PM 05-01-2014
I would have sent another text at 4:31 to both mom and dad (mom since it sounds like you could at least contact her) telling them that you are taking your child to the doctor and that you will have to take their child with you. Then a note on the door saying we had to go to an emergency doctor appt. No way would I let an inconsiderate parent keep me from getting my child medical care. What a rude DCD! Don't let them come back til the pay the late fees, too.

I hope you get satisfaction with your note and the extra $10 without argument!
NightOwl 01:02 PM 05-01-2014
Well that was fast. Mom called. She was slightly upset until I explained that I considered sending the email to dcd only, but since they have no communication, I felt he would not tell her about it. So the email was not directed specifically toward her because I was well aware that she was out of town. She also said "but we've never been late picking up before...." so she was not aware that dcd had picked up late in the past and said he was probably pissy at pick up because she had just chewed him out for not arriving on time and not answering his phone. Dcd says he never received any text or calls from me yesterday (LIES). I know I sure didn't receive any from him! Mom is definitely the responsible parent here. The late fee stands and mom says she will make sure dcd does not arrive late again. She also asked about dd and said she hoped she felt better soon. Sooooooo? Strike one?
MarinaVanessa 03:52 PM 05-01-2014
Sooooooo? Strike one?
IDK but I do know that all contact with DCD within the next few days would be greeted with a blank stare and a hint of "I'm watching you buddy"

TaylorTots 04:14 PM 05-01-2014
Strike One.

Glad that DCM is on the same page. Did you let her know that DCD is late often?
wdmmom 07:07 PM 05-01-2014
Definitely strike 1!!

But I dont offer 3 strikes. At 2, you're out here.

My happiness is of utmost importance when im the one working 10 hours a day to support my family. Blatant disregard for me, my family or my home will give you no strikes. Just OUT!
Mister Sir Husband 09:11 PM 05-01-2014
As stated above.. I would have taken the child with me. I'd have called dad instead of texting a second time to let him know where I would be.
Childminder 09:22 PM 05-01-2014
Definitely do what the others have suggested but instead of causing your daughter unnecessary discomfort could you have not go to an Urgent Care rather than wait 24 hours?
NightOwl 09:27 PM 05-01-2014
Urgent care here closes at 6pm. Trust me, I searched and searched. And yes, she knows now that he's been late more than once.
Reply Up