Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extreme Diarrhea!
Unregistered 07:59 AM 10-02-2014
I have a 14 month old DCG who has been having multiple diarrhea diapers a day for the last two weeks. The first time it happened she was sent home after 4 in one morning. DCD stayed home with her that Friday and she came back on Monday. We had talked multiple times over the weekend and decided she was ok to come back. Since then it's been at least twice a day every day. Yesterday, DCM took her in to the doctor and they said with no fever, or dehydration there was nothing they could do. DCG has cut 7 teeth in the last few weeks and we were told it's just teething. DCG is playing fine, happy and normal self but I feel so bad for her! Any ideas on how to help stop this??

I will add that we have cut out dairy products and are doing a bland food regimen but I have no other ideas!! Yesterday's was so bad it was gushing out her diaper, out the back and down her legs onto my carpet! DCM and I are at a loss of what to do!
hope 08:08 AM 10-02-2014
I know this sounds rude but this is dcms problem to solve, not yours. If she is on a bland diet and it is still happening then maybe she needs to contact her doctor again. When it is running down the child's leg and I to your carpet it has now become a hazard to the other children in your care. I would call for pick up and request a doctors note.
Leigh 08:25 AM 10-02-2014
It could be teething. I would try going up a diaper size and double diapering to keep it from leaking. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you keep her there or not when she is showing these symptoms. Even if it is caused by teething, that doesn't make it less of a problem for you (sanitation).
Cradle2crayons 10:26 AM 10-02-2014
Probiotics can help.

Sometimes depending on wnt causes the initial diarrhea it causes the flora to become bad in their gut, and just because of the flora, the diarrhea continues.

I've used them several times before with excellent results.

Nd it certainly can't hurt.

However, I agree with others, this is their problem, not yours but by continuing to be the main one dealing with it, why should they try to fix it??

I would recommend the probiotics, and exclude until 24 hours after the stool returns to normal. Why it's happening isn't my issue. It's theirs. My issue is to protect the others.
craftymissbeth 01:16 PM 10-02-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I know this sounds rude but this is dcms problem to solve, not yours. If she is on a bland diet and it is still happening then maybe she needs to contact her doctor again. When it is running down the child's leg and I to your carpet it has now become a hazard to the other children in your care. I would call for pick up and request a doctors note.

Right now it's not a problem for her parents. You're the one dealing with blow outs every day, not them. Why should they try to fix a situation that they don't see as an issue?

The problem needs to be put back in their lap. What's your symptom policy on diarrhea? Mine is two episodes a day and they're sent home... I would take that further and write up a new plan for this family that says something like more than two in a day or more than four in a week and she needs to go home. My policy states that if I send a child home due to a symptom then they must remain excluded for 48 hours... sending a child home once usually fixes the issue.
TwinKristi 01:55 PM 10-02-2014
Did they take a sample and test for Rotovirus? I agree that while I like to work with parents on this stuff, it's their baby and they need to be proactive and take her in or something. I won't allow that type of diarrhea to stay here. It's a health hazard to the others in your care and takes your attention off of the group to deal this potential hazard.
Reply Up