Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Year Old Hitting
Cowabunga childcare 02:45 PM 09-17-2015
Hi all- this is my first post and am excited to post more.
I have a very "cave man" 1 year old boy at my in home daycare. He is only 1 and he constantly hits the other kids(especially the younger ones). I started off by saying "just wave" and for while he would walk up to the kids and instead of hitting, just wave, but he is getting "bored" of that and keeps hitting. I've used "gentle touch" and "no touch" but he continues to run up and hit. Any suggestions? He is too young for the time out concept...
Cat Herder 02:52 PM 09-17-2015
Ok, first I have to say I laughed so hard I almost choked on my drink. The irony of your user name and your first post. Just. Too. Much.
daycare 03:01 PM 09-17-2015
lol I thought the same thing... Ironic name to post...too cute...

I would catch him in the act and say NO! in a stern voice. move him away.
then when he is calm and not hitting I would show him nice hands....
Unregistered 03:20 PM 09-17-2015
Play yard
Cat Herder 03:27 PM 09-17-2015
Time out only works when the adult takes it to calm down.

Redirection, then redirection, then redirection followed by redirection is the only thing we are legally allowed to do.

When you're not able to be directly over him (aka shadowing), set him up with a table top activity and get back quick (5-10 minutes).
daycare 03:50 PM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Redirection, then redirection, then redirection followed by redirection is the only thing we are legally allowed to do.

When you're not able to be directly over him (aka shadowing), set him up with a table top activity and get back quick (5-10 minutes).
yes...sorry I got pulled away.

remove him from the situation and redirect him to something else.

sorry whoever said put him in a play yard, i strongly disagree. he will never learn if you do that. You are going to have to teach him and model the expected behavior.
Gemma 04:55 AM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I agree! ...at this age only redirecting and keep busy with interesting activities (I save a few toys/activities strictly for when I need a few minutes) has worked for me
mommyneedsadayoff 06:34 AM 09-18-2015
I have this child! He is one and does the same thing, but he is just doing it out of excitement, not trying to hurt anyone.

Like the others say, redirection, redirection, redirection!

I take the hand he hit with and tell him "no touching" in a stern voice and lead him away to another activity.
Play Care 11:11 AM 09-18-2015
I agree with lots of redirection and modeling. I also place myself between the child whose having the issue.

I do use my play yard or booster seat with activity when I can't be right there, or frankly *I* need a break from constant redirection - and that's okay! But like others said, it's not going to help if you do nothing else.
Reply Up