Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Autism Noises ???
jojosmommy 10:30 AM 02-09-2011
I have a daycare child who was DX with autism 2 yrs ago. Many progresses have been made since then and he is typically a very plesant child. However he has visual perseverances and is always preoccupied with looking at himself. Bathroom mirror, windows both inside and every house we pass on walks, his shadow, his footsteps in the snow, his reflection in his milk/water, his reflection in my appliances, etc. He can not complete tasks or play with others because of this obsession. We have made some household modifications to prevent this, like we hung a curtain over our Tv and only pull it up when we watch our 30 min before lunch. This way he can not seem himself in the TV all day.

Additionally, during nap he flaps his hands (typical autism behavior) and clears his throat all the time. "AAAHHH" he forces breath through his throat/mouth about 3x a min. Imagine that for 2 hours...

When I mention to stop to him he gets frustrated and says "IM TRYING..." like he knows he can't control it. I feel bad for the little guy.

Does anyone know how to prevent/curb these obsessions/ticks. I have asked mom/dad but they have no ideas. Special ed in our area is also a limited resource and have had no answers. And what triggers this? He looks like he is on another planet when he does this.
Ashley 10:47 AM 02-09-2011
Hi,
I know how frustrating this can be. I cared for a boy for 8 years who is severly autistic. We basically taught him when these actions and noises are okay and when they are not. For example tell him that he can make noises, flap, ect at different times if the day or places in your home but not others. For example, if the majority if you day is spent in a playroom but they nap in the living room then make the no noises or flapping in the living room rule. Be very consistant in reminding him that anytime he is in the living room he may not do x behaviors. However, never correct him during any other time. Try very hard to allow him to get it all out before and after nap time. You may try giving him a compact mirror during nap time which would keep him occupied. This may also give Him a chance to kind of express that need to look at his reflection and may help to reduce it at unfavorable times. Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps. How old is he?
jojosmommy 10:49 AM 02-09-2011
Thanks for the info. He is 4 going to be 5 in a few months. Luckily it was noticed early so interventions have worked tremendously!
Tags:autism, interventionist, visual perseverances
Reply Up