Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Max Amount of Children
Core12 06:03 AM 01-07-2018
Thought I would check here before contacting my state contact as I have received so many different answers!
My mom and I run a licensed daycare from our home. We are licensed for: 8 babies under the age of 2 yrs -or- 4 babies under 2 yrs and 6 over the age of 2 yrs for the state of Missouri.
Today we have 6 babies under the age of 2 yrs with and 3 babies are turning 2 yrs old in April, June and July of 2018.

1. Does this mean that the baby who turns 2 yrs old in April 2018 has to leave bc in April we would then have 5 babies under 2 yrs and 1 baby over 2 yrs old?

2. Does anyone/has anyone converted their garage to allow for a “group” daycare to make for more children?

3 I also have a part time infant...8 hrs/day Wed, Thurs, & Fri only...does the infant still count as 1 child?

I Have been given so many different answers such as these...
I was told that the guidelines were not up to the age of 2yrs but as long as the babies were 2 yrs...meaning I could technically keep the babies until they were 2 yrs and 354 days.
I have the handbook and would just like some feedback.

Trying to make it in this business with my mom!
Mike 06:51 AM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
Thought I would check here before contacting my state contact as I have received so many different answers!
My mom and I run a licensed daycare from our home. We are licensed for: 8 babies under the age of 2 yrs -or- 4 babies under 2 yrs and 6 over the age of 2 yrs for the state of Missouri.
Today we have 6 babies under the age of 2 yrs with and 3 babies are turning 2 yrs old in April, June and July of 2018.

1. Does this mean that the baby who turns 2 yrs old in April 2018 has to leave bc in April we would then have 5 babies under 2 yrs and 1 baby over 2 yrs old?
Assuming you have 8 babies and no older children, you're fine. Here's another way of wording those rules:
You can have up to 10 kids, BUT only 4 can be under 2. If more than 4 are under 2, then you're limited to 8 max.

2. Does anyone/has anyone converted their garage to allow for a “group” daycare to make for more children?

3 I also have a part time infant...8 hrs/day Wed, Thurs, & Fri only...does the infant still count as 1 child?
When that child is with you, he/she would count. Some places do allow for overage for very short occasional cases, but 3 days/week isn't occasional.

I Have been given so many different answers such as these...
I was told that the guidelines were not up to the age of 2yrs but as long as the babies were 2 yrs...meaning I could technically keep the babies until they were 2 yrs and 354 days.
As said above, you can keep them forever if you want as long as your total stays within one of those 2 ranges.
Mike 07:05 AM 01-07-2018
https://www.daycare.com/missouri/
That page explains limits more clearly.
Poptarts22 07:08 AM 01-07-2018
Does anyone/has anyone converted their garage to allow for a “group” daycare to make for more children?

My daycare space is in an area converted from a three car attached garage. We added a half bath along with it and an entrance seperate from our home. It is wonderful and has really cut down on the wear and tear in our main living area. EST part is that on the weekend, I can close the door and step away from work totally.
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 01-07-2018
"Does anyone/has anyone converted their garage to allow for a “group” daycare to make for more children?"

I, also, operate in a converted three car garage but it does not change the adult to child ratio to have more space. You would need both space and another adult.
Core12 10:32 AM 01-08-2018
Thanks for the responses! I just spoke with Missouri’s license area and wanted to confirm.
I specifically asked if it was ok to have “5 children under age of 2 yrs old and 1 child over age of 2 yrs” for a provider with assistant. I was told, “no” I can have Only 8 under the age of 2 yrs or 4 under age of 2 yrs and up to 6 children over the age of 2 yrs.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:00 AM 01-08-2018
Thanks for the responses! I just spoke with Missouri’s license area and wanted to confirm.
I specifically asked if it was ok to have “5 children under age of 2 yrs old and 1 child over age of 2 yrs” for a provider with assistant. I was told, “no” I can have Only 8 under the age of 2 yrs or 4 under age of 2 yrs and up to 6 children over the age of 2 yrs.
I feel like im missing something. Aren't they are 2yrs old (not over) until they turn 3? To me that wording means your fine. By the time those two turn 3 you'll still have 4 infant's or less.
Core12 11:14 AM 01-08-2018
When I spoke with my point of contact she specifically said that 2 yrs and 1 day is Over the age of 2 yrs.
She said there is no mixing of the regulations for Missouri. So with my current situation:
All 6 children are under 2 yrs old, after a child turns 2 yrs old, I have to stop care for that 2 yr old bc I already have 5 children under the age of 2 yrs.
Core12 01:51 PM 01-08-2018
I was just informed by my friend (also lives in Missouri) who also has a daycare that of the 10 children she watches, 4 kids are 2 and younger. I clarified “2 yrs old and younger”
But I’m being told that the min a child turns 2 yrs old they are included in 2 yrs and over category.
This is what burns me out. I’m exhausted from all of the different answers.
Mike 03:47 PM 01-08-2018
So, you're allowed:
Originally Posted by :
8 babies under the age of 2 yrs -or- 4 babies under 2 yrs and 6 over the age of 2 yrs
Right now, you have 6 under age 2, which will eventually turn into 5 under and 1 over, then 4 under and 2 over.

Problem is, there are 2 different ways of looking at the quoted part.

1) It could mean, if you have 4 or less under 2, you can also have up to 6 over 2. Whereas if they are all under 2, you can have up to 8. Once one is over 2, you're switched automatically to the 2nd option and have to either let the one who turned 2 go, or let 3 of the under 2's go. That appears to be the way they are looking at it, which personally I think is silly. It doesn't suddenly get harder to handle one when they turn 2.

2) More logical way of looking at it, but doesn't appear to be how they do, is to think of it this way. If they are all under 2, you're limited to 8 total. Whereas, as they get older, and 4 of them turn 2, you are then allowed to increase to 10 total, the 4 under and 6 over. That means you start with 8 babies, and once 4 of them turn 2, you will have 4 under and 4 over, and at that time, you would be allowed to add 2 more over. That would make the most sense, but we all know when it comes to daycare legal stuff, they don't make sense.

The question to ask your worker then is, which way does the rule go. I would ask her this:

Hey worker, does the 8 under 2, OR 4 under 2 and 6 over 2, mean 8 babies maximum and once I only have 4 under 2, I can add 2 more older kids, or does it mean that once one turns 2, I can only have 4 under 2 and have to either let the newly turned 2 child go, or let 3 of the under 2's go?

Send whoever is in charge that question and see how they answer it.
Core12 03:50 PM 01-08-2018
I appreciate your help!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:47 PM 01-08-2018
When I spoke with my point of contact she specifically said that 2 yrs and 1 day is Over the age of 2 yrs.
She said there is no mixing of the regulations for Missouri. So with my current situation:
All 6 children are under 2 yrs old, after a child turns 2 yrs old, I have to stop care for that 2 yr old bc I already have 5 children under the age of 2 yrs.
I understand now.
Mike 07:09 PM 01-08-2018
The government likes to make things complicated.
Tags:ratios, ratios - minnessota
Reply Up