Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play Kitchens For Those Under 3
Sunchimes 05:20 PM 08-17-2012
I'm going to buy a play kitchen. In looking at amazon, they are almost all listed for age 3+. My kids all turned 2 this month, so 3 is a long way off. I found a couple listed for 2 year olds, but they were little and dinky.

What is it about the kitchens that would be a problem for 2 year olds? Would it be risky to have one rated for 3 and up? I'm wondering if it is the knobs or something, but I can't tell much from the pictures. How do you manage it in your mixed age groups?

Thanks!
nanglgrl 05:35 PM 08-17-2012
I have never bought a play kitchen based on what age was going to use it, if anything I try to buy one that is sturdy and a good size so they can use it the longest. I can't think of anything on a play kitchen that would be dangerous, I suppose a knob could come off but those are usually to big to be a chocking hazard. I say get a nice sturdy kitchen that is tall enough so when your child is 3 it's not too small.
jojosmommy 05:47 PM 08-17-2012
We have two,one infant to 2 age one and its tiny. One older kid one little tykes I think. Works ok.

I am terribly jealous of the repurposed shelf or table ones from pinterest. Genious!! Go on and check it out. You could easily make one just how you want it and anchor to the wall like anyother piece of furniture. Choose your own knobs this way too!
Sunchimes 07:04 PM 08-17-2012
I'd love to, and once staked out an entertainment center at a yard sale before coming to my senses. "How do you think you are going to find time to do this when you are up to your eyebrows in the million other things you are committed to?" I make a lot of our toys, but I think that in this case, amazon is my friend. ;-) I love the ones on pinterest though and have pinned a lot and before that, I have a bunch bookmarked.
AmyLeigh 08:48 PM 08-17-2012
We repurposed some old kitchen cabinets into a play kitchen. Its simple, but a lot of fun! I think we spent around $40 for the whole thing.
Angelsj 05:09 AM 08-18-2012
We have this one.

IF the upper cabinet knobs should come off, they could present a hazard. Otherwise, it works fine. My one year old is a little bit short, but plays with it just fine. And I have had children up to 11 play with it and enjoy it as well.

It is sturdy, well made, and well supervised. And it makes cool noises.
Sunchimes 06:46 AM 08-18-2012
AmyLeigh, could you post pictures of your cabinet kitchen? It sounds really cute.

Angelsj, I love that grill kitchen. I hadn't seen it before. It may be too big for my space though. I need to do some measuring.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:04 PM 08-18-2012
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3&l=c4d3b5075e
That is mine. I got it clearance after Christmas at walmart for $18.50! so I really love it. It is the perfect height for my 1-3 yr olds! And it is not HUGE!
Sunchimes 05:20 PM 08-18-2012
Wow!! That's amazing! Maybe I should wait until after Christmas! ;-)
daycarediva 06:21 PM 08-18-2012
I made my own, It's wooden, sturdy enough that it can't be moved around. I made each piece separate for rearranging (fridge/freezer, stove, sink) and perfect for age 2-5.
Sunchimes 06:52 PM 08-18-2012
Daycarediva, would you share pictures?
moshimoshi 02:03 PM 08-24-2012
I got a Dora kitchen off of craigslist and it is has two height settings. The only part that come off was the sink where the kids throw the dishes in...haha.
bencameron 09:14 PM 01-28-2013
I too have made old kitchen cabinets into a play kitchen. Its really easy and looks good.
Starburst 11:26 PM 01-28-2013
http://www.target.com/QuickInfoView?...ch_qi_grid_1_1

I know this is kind of an old post but this is what I got at Target. I think someone returned it to the store after buying it online and I got it in the store on clearance and with my 5%card it was only $7 and it is for ages 2 and up . I haven't started my daycare yet but when the time comes I will at least have this to start with for dramatic play
daycarediva 02:11 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I made my own, It's wooden, sturdy enough that it can't be moved around. I made each piece separate for rearranging (fridge/freezer, stove, sink) and perfect for age 2-5.
JUST saw this! If you still want, I can share a pic in the decor forum.
lovemykidstoo 04:37 AM 01-29-2013
I would love to see pics from the ones here that made kitchens out of cabinets or other materials.
lovemykidstoo 04:38 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
We have two,one infant to 2 age one and its tiny. One older kid one little tykes I think. Works ok.

I am terribly jealous of the repurposed shelf or table ones from pinterest. Genious!! Go on and check it out. You could easily make one just how you want it and anchor to the wall like anyother piece of furniture. Choose your own knobs this way too!
Can you link one of them, I can't find them on pinterest.
daycarediva 05:24 AM 01-29-2013
https://www.daycare.com/forum/album....&pictureid=882

the pic is OLD (3 years or so) but the kitchen set looks exactly the same!
canadiancare 05:26 AM 01-29-2013
My son just turned 21 and I bought him the Little Tykes kitchen when he was 2. We still use it in the daycare without issue.

Edit very similar to this one
lovemykidstoo 05:32 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/album....&pictureid=882

the pic is OLD (3 years or so) but the kitchen set looks exactly the same!
I absolutely love that. How did you make it exactly? I would love to make one.
Lianne 05:51 AM 01-29-2013
I bought the Ikea play kitchen in the fall and I love it, so do the kids.

It's plain and simple but the cabinet areas are big enough to actually hold things, unlike any plastic kitchen I've ever had. The kids' favorite thing to do is to 'cook' by putting food/dishes into the oven.
Lyss 09:19 AM 01-29-2013
I have the "old" version of the little tikes kitchen, like this I got off CL, it was $25 and came with food/dishes. I didn't think about age when buying the kitchen, I did make sure the food/dishes were not choking hazards though.

I have 2 one year olds plus a 2 and 4 year old that all play with it. The little ones played with it from when they could pull themselves up but they couldn't reach things inside the sink til about 9 mos (they're both in the 85-90% for height). They still can't reach the upper shelves obviously but they don't mind, plus the older kids like having a place to put their "dinner" where the babies can't get it. lol!

I like this one because the kids are rough with things and this kitchen is sturdy and easily withstands the kids.

I'm interested in seeing the ones people have made themselves too! I plan to make a mud kitchen out back this summer so i'm looking for ideas!!
EAP 09:24 AM 01-29-2013
My youngest is 13m and my oldest 22m and we use a kidkraft kitchen that is all connected. (The fridge isn't separate) the biggest issue I have with the younger ones is climbing or it tipping. All the knobs are big and its very well made. Even my youngest girl - 14m plays at it daily so we are big fans of a play kitchen for the young ones.

ETA- we haven't had those issues because it is so sturdy but with the younger kids that is my worrry.p
daycarediva 10:15 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I absolutely love that. How did you make it exactly? I would love to make one.
I sketched out plans (it's wood) and then did some measurements. I do have the plans in microsoft word that I could copy & paste.
davidjamesthornton 06:19 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm going to buy a play kitchen. In looking at amazon, they are almost all listed for age 3+. My kids all turned 2 this month, so 3 is a long way off. I found a couple listed for 2 year olds, but they were little and dinky.

What is it about the kitchens that would be a problem for 2 year olds? Would it be risky to have one rated for 3 and up? I'm wondering if it is the knobs or something, but I can't tell much from the pictures. How do you manage it in your mixed age groups?

Thanks!
choose a wodden one instead of plastic one since the plastic one may contain unhealthy material . And the wooden toys is fit for all age kids. you can see more from this site
Leigh 06:26 AM 05-15-2013
I bought one for my son's first birthday-my husband said he was too young for it, but he loves it. I bought a taller step2 one (around $90), and it has hardware built into the back to attach it to the wall to prevent tips.
Patches 02:54 PM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
We have this one.

IF the upper cabinet knobs should come off, they could present a hazard. Otherwise, it works fine. My one year old is a little bit short, but plays with it just fine. And I have had children up to 11 play with it and enjoy it as well.

It is sturdy, well made, and well supervised. And it makes cool noises.
That's adorable. I almost died when I saw the coffee pot I love how it's NOT pink
Tags:age appropriate - toys, play kitchen
Reply Up