Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking For Information To Start Or Work In Daycare In Florida
AshleyAnn 04:07 PM 03-16-2011
I apologize if this is in the wrong section to ask this, I joined today just to ask this question to people who would really know the answer.

I am 20 years old almost 21, and I will be completing two majors from a community college in the state of CT. General Studies and Early Childhood Education by spring 2012 semester. My major director is also making sure that students will also be graduated from NAYCE program as well as their major. I am also currently a "work study" student as a teacher at a daycare center for the past two and a half years.

I am thinking of eventually moving down south to Florida either with friends or possibly without. I have heard that up here in the North our polices on education is very different. I was wondering how much education do I NEED to find a job in Florida to work in a daycare center or (if i had enough money) to run a daycare center eventually in the state of Florida.

I really don't want to go to school another two years since being a daycare teacher doesn't really bring in the money and its a job id love going to everyday and be happy.

Up north to be a substitute or assistant in a public school i must have a bachelors, and I have been told you can have as little as a GED down south > which honestly i think is absurd.

I have already tired researching this answer and haven't come up with a solid answer, I think down the road I may want to finish school with a four year degree but for now this is what I want. If there are classes that need to be taken to do this, does anyone know how much those classes cost to be certified? (after having a degree in education).

Thanks
-ashley
Reply
Michael 06:05 PM 03-16-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum AshleyAnn!

Florida standards: https://www.daycare.com/florida/
Reply
AshleyAnn 04:05 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum AshleyAnn!

Florida standards: https://www.daycare.com/florida/
Thank you, i have seen that website before and i couldnt find any of the answers i was wondering about
Reply
Cat Herder 04:42 AM 03-17-2011
I have many friends that are teachers in the public school system in Florida, Central and South.

Most of them have their Masters, one is currently working towards hers.

There is steep competition, I would recommend that you start sending resumes before the move.

I also have two friends who own large centers, since the early '80s, there. One is selling as we speak and another is considering selling to open a Senior Center instead....

Be sure to research all the recent and upcoming changes in Daycare in general at the legislative level before making your decision which way to go.

Good luck in whichever path you choose!! Working with kids can never be a bad choice...YKWIM?
Reply
AshleyAnn 03:15 PM 03-17-2011
Do you know anything about what you need to be a sub. I do not plan on ever going to get masters. Or if you know any qualifications to become a assi. in a public classroom? or what you need to be in a daycare center or run one in the state of florida?







and thank you
Reply
Cat Herder 03:23 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn:
Do you know anything about what you need to be a sub. I do not plan on ever going to get masters. Or if you know any qualifications to become a assi. in a public classroom? or what you need to be in a daycare center or run one in the state of florida?







and thank you
I sent FB messages and 3 told me to send you to their forum. It is end of quarter conferences/elective schedule change time so they did not have free time....

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com
Reply
Unregistered 11:58 AM 06-22-2011
I think this would be the best website to go too and find you answer on whatever you need to know, these are the people who license you for the daycare. It was very helpfull for me.


http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/...icensing.shtml
Reply
Unregistered 10:10 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn:
I apologize if this is in the wrong section to ask this, I joined today just to ask this question to people who would really know the answer.

I am 20 years old almost 21, and I will be completing two majors from a community college in the state of CT. General Studies and Early Childhood Education by spring 2012 semester. My major director is also making sure that students will also be graduated from NAYCE program as well as their major. I am also currently a "work study" student as a teacher at a daycare center for the past two and a half years.

I am thinking of eventually moving down south to Florida either with friends or possibly without. I have heard that up here in the North our polices on education is very different. I was wondering how much education do I NEED to find a job in Florida to work in a daycare center or (if i had enough money) to run a daycare center eventually in the state of Florida.

I really don't want to go to school another two years since being a daycare teacher doesn't really bring in the money and its a job id love going to everyday and be happy.

Up north to be a substitute or assistant in a public school i must have a bachelors, and I have been told you can have as little as a GED down south > which honestly i think is absurd.

I have already tired researching this answer and haven't come up with a solid answer, I think down the road I may want to finish school with a four year degree but for now this is what I want. If there are classes that need to be taken to do this, does anyone know how much those classes cost to be certified? (after having a degree in education).

Thanks
-ashley



" Obviously you need to go BACK to school, because i'm from the south but at least I know how to spell "tried" and "policies".
Reply
LK5kids 04:07 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
" Obviously you need to go BACK to school, because i'm from the south but at least I know how to spell "tried" and "policies".
Probably a typo....not a misspelling! There is a difference!
Reply
Unregistered 04:27 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
" Obviously you need to go BACK to school, because i'm from the south but at least I know how to spell "tried" and "policies".
Maybe you should take your own advice.

Where I am from the "I" in "I'm" is capitalized.


I was also taught that there is a difference between being helpful and being judgmental.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:16 PM 07-23-2013
www.myflorida.com/childcare

Expect lower wages in Florida. I pay.$10 an hour, but that's not normal. Lead teachers make as little.as $.50 over minimum wage. I've seem the help wanted ads, it's depressing.
Reply
Sugar Magnolia 06:24 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
" Obviously you need to go BACK to school, because i'm from the south but at least I know how to spell "tried" and "policies".
Blah blah blah get a life yada yada yada.

The punctuation police do not like your misplaced quote mark either.
Hmmmmm, is that a run on sentence as well? I'll check with the grammar police on that. Oh, and "south" should be capitalized when referring to states south of the Mason- Dixon Line.
Reply
Tags:florida, florida licensing, start a daycare
Reply Up