Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closure Policy?
Unregistered 07:37 PM 11-14-2018
We are newly opened Home Daycare this year and this is our first winter. Though in our contract it already says that we will follow our County's announcement regarding weather closure for schools. 2 parents still asked about it and saying that since they only walk to our daycare they won't get really affected by any traveling disruption from snow. Since, they really don't get snow day off or anything like that they need to drop off their kid. So they can get to work.

90% of our clients are from the neighborhood that just or can walk to us everyday. So, I'm wondering what's other daycares policy on closures and what do you usually tells parents who doesn't seems to get it? Thanks in advance.
Reply
Jo123ABC 07:48 PM 11-14-2018
I've thought about this too because a few of my families close by BUT if/when you have a family not close by you can't just say only they will not be allowed to bring their child. It should be fair across the board. Last year the school cancelled for a snow day and every single one of my parents near me kept their children home. The one who lives out of town risked their child and themselves on really dangerous roads and dropped dck off. I Soo regretted not closing. I thought I'd end up stuck with this kid overnight because the weather was that terrible so I ended up closing early and sending him home. I changed my policy to match my county's school inclement weather closings after that.
Reply
Michael 07:49 PM 11-14-2018
Here are some threads regarding closing doe to weather:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...due+to+weather
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ng+due+to+snow
Reply
kendallina 08:11 PM 11-14-2018
I stay open. Most parents have to work still.
BUT, if it's in your policies to close for snow days, then there it is. I would make sure that you're clear with families about it when they sign up and again at the beginning of the winter season.
Reply
lblanke 08:26 PM 11-14-2018
If you elect to remain closed, then it may be because emergency vehicles would not have timely access in the event of an actual emergency (if roads are difficult to travel on in your area).
Reply
amberrose3dg 04:13 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are newly opened Home Daycare this year and this is our first winter. Though in our contract it already says that we will follow our County's announcement regarding weather closure for schools. 2 parents still asked about it and saying that since they only walk to our daycare they won't get really affected by any traveling disruption from snow. Since, they really don't get snow day off or anything like that they need to drop off their kid. So they can get to work.

90% of our clients are from the neighborhood that just or can walk to us everyday. So, I'm wondering what's other daycares policy on closures and what do you usually tells parents who doesn't seems to get it? Thanks in advance.
One thing is are they walking to work? I mean they can get their kid to by walking. What happens when they get stuck in it commuting to work. I close when schools close now. I know i am at home and dont need to travel in it. Your parents do and unless you are prepared to be stuck passed closing with children you need to explain that. I also would not open for 1 or 2 kids either.
Reply
Gemma 05:36 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are newly opened Home Daycare this year and this is our first winter. Though in our contract it already says that we will follow our County's announcement regarding weather closure for schools. 2 parents still asked about it and saying that since they only walk to our daycare they won't get really affected by any traveling disruption from snow. Since, they really don't get snow day off or anything like that they need to drop off their kid. So they can get to work.

90% of our clients are from the neighborhood that just or can walk to us everyday. So, I'm wondering what's other daycares policy on closures and what do you usually tells parents who doesn't seems to get it? Thanks in advance.
I used to follow the school closing but there were days where the school should've closed and it didn't, it was confusing, so I changed my policy, now I stay open and leave it up to the parents to decide but I get paid whether the kids attend or not.
Reply
DaveA 05:43 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by lblanke:
If you elect to remain closed, then it may be because emergency vehicles would not have timely access in the event of an actual emergency (if roads are difficult to travel on in your area).
This what I was thinking. Plus DCPs can have an accident walking to daycare or work just as easily as driving. I don't follow school schedule but will close if I think the roads in our area aren't safe.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:54 AM 11-15-2018
Our schools close ridiculously and politically. As long as I have heat and water, I am open. I also have heat and water even if I have no power. Rural life.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 11-15-2018
I don't usually close for bad weather (I don't think there is such a thing here ...) but I would close IF emergency vehicles could not travel here safely AND if the parent could possibly be delayed in picking up due to them not being able to leave work in time.

I drive into my daycare and I've never had issues getting to work before. Schools around here don't keep kids inside during recess unless the temp falls below -10F and don't actually close schools unless its like -40F

Snow storms cause delays but rarely closures here.

But emergency vehicles and parent's ability to still pick up would be the biggest factors in closing or not.
Reply
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Snow storms cause delays but rarely closures here.
Our schools recently closed 3 days because a hurricane made landfall 6 hours drive away. They are considering closing tomorrow because it has rained for 16 days and storm drains are clogged by leaves leaving 3-4 inches of standing water in the lower parking lots. Not in buildings, in overflow parking. I kid you not.

Both closures would precede a previously scheduled break, extending it. Our administrators are in their 20's - 30's
Reply
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Our schools recently closed 3 days because a hurricane made landfall 6 hours drive away. They are considering closing tomorrow because it has rained for 16 days and storm drains are clogged by leaves leaving 3-4 inches of standing water in the lower parking lots. Not in buildings, in overflow parking. I kid you not.

Both closures would precede a previously scheduled break, extending it. Our administrators are in their 20's - 30's
that's crazy... I think the last time they called off school here due to weather, it was like 4 governors ago...


Reply
LittleExplorers 07:41 AM 11-15-2018
I have mostly teachers kids so it doesn't effect most of my kiddos. Unless it is blizzard, I remain open with the caveat that they need to leave work with enough time to pick up on time and if they shut down services to clear roads, pick up is needed. The one family who isn't a teacher works 15 minutes from me.
Reply
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I have mostly teachers kids so it doesn't effect most of my kiddos.
Lucky. Those are my earliest arrivals and last departures on school closure days.
Reply
Jupadia 08:07 AM 11-15-2018
They have snow days here which usually means the school buses are not busting but schools will be open. As I found out last year dise mean that some staff and a lot if students are out for the day so not a lot of learning gets done. These days I now keep my own school ageger home. Hes my only one that goes to school.
But where I grew up acrosse the country snow days were only something we saw in movies, schools did not close or have days like this much.
I dont close do to weather, but will not stay open late either to accommodate late pick ups. Parents know its snowing and that traffic on a regular summer day can be bad so they are in charge of making sure they leave work early enough to get here on time. So far in five years I've not had a problem. I only close if I loss power or such at these times.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 08:29 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
One thing is are they walking to work? I mean they can get their kid to by walking. What happens when they get stuck in it commuting to work. I close when schools close now. I know i am at home and dont need to travel in it. Your parents do and unless you are prepared to be stuck passed closing with children you need to explain that. I also would not open for 1 or 2 kids either.
That was my thought too. It's not so much about them being able to get to my house to drop off, as it is about them being able to get to my house to pick up on time. As well as making sure emergency services are able to get to my house if needed. We rarely have snow days, because it's just a fact of life here, but when we do it's usually because they are shutting down highways and roads, in which case that would affect Emergency Services, so therefore I close as well. Also, my area has had an influx of people from out of state who moved here for work, and many of them have no clue how to drive in the winter, so they usually heed the warnings. If they close roads, you can actually get ticketed for driving on them also, so people tend to stay put.
Reply
LittleExplorers 10:56 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Lucky. Those are my earliest arrivals and last departures on school closure days.

Oh no! On early release weather days sometimes mine have to stay until the bus route is done. I have really great parents.
Reply
Cat Herder 11:05 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Oh no! On early release weather days sometimes mine have to stay until the bus route is done. I have really great parents.
I do, too. And they did the first year or so until their kids hit 2 or a sibling came along. You know the drill. Can't blame them, they take way too much work home now.
Reply
BrynleeJean 01:40 PM 11-15-2018
These are all great points. My policy states I close for severe weather days that the local ISDs do just because I know local daycares do that and when i think about it i wonder why. Ive heard one of my directors say its so we can ensure the parents are traveling with their children safely basically. But i have a neighbor who brings their kid from right across the street and sometimes works from home.

Id say Im keeping the policy because if i have it at all it as to be for ALL parents.
AND
because i know for my area personally, there is so much traffic at the slightest bit of rain. I mean 5 car pile up, one main freeway SHUT DOWN kind of traffic so this would be why i would close.
Id imagine the families would either drop their kids off at open and speed on the black ice to get to work on time and then come picking up late like they had no idea there would be traffic
OR
bring their kid and go sit in PJs at home with hot cocoa watching christmas movies all day

im sticking to my closures
Reply
Tags:closing due to snow, closing due to weather, closures, emergency plan, emergency preparedness plan, emergency response plan
Reply Up