Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Days Off...
Unregistered 07:08 AM 02-15-2011
So I am working with two families who both work for the State and have off the postal holidays. So this upcoming Monday is President's Day and they have off from work (I know this for 100% because the one lady gave me a calendar with the days off). Both parents have said that there children will b here normal hours. Would you restrict your hours on those days? I am thinking about telling them that I will be open from 9am-3pm if childcare is needed. It's beginning to bug me that neither one of them want the day off with their child. WWYD? Suggestions.....
Little People 07:13 AM 02-15-2011
If you have the day listed in your contract as a Closed and paid holiday for you, Then close and they will have to pay. But if it is not a closed holiday for you, then the parents are should be allowed to bring the dck's.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 02-15-2011
If people want to bring their child to daycare when they have the day off....so what? That is their loss (of time with their child)....if they are cash paying clients they can go wherever they want (without their children).

Maybe they are using the day for some personal time to go to the Dentist or to the Gyno or something that their kid can't really accompany them to. Either way, if they are paying out of their own pocket and you are keeping the $ you can't complain about what they do....you will stress yourself over to Crazytown in a big hurry!
Unregistered 08:36 AM 02-15-2011
I close for all stat holidays with pay. I used to stay open for stat holidays however most families don't bring their children on these days as most get them off so I ended up working still and only have one or two children. It made more sense for me to just close on stats all together.
Sunny Day 11:16 AM 02-15-2011
I close for all Stat Holidays with pay....but if you didn't already have that in your contract, I don't think there is really anything you can do. I sort of feel the same way when people have the day off and still bring their kids (like, don't you want to be with your children??!!), but at the same they are paying for the day, and maybe they have stuff they need to do, that is what I always try to tell myself....
jojosmommy 02:03 PM 02-15-2011
I personally don't care what my parents do when their kids are at daycare. 2 of my families work weekends (rotation) but send their kids M-F regardless. Some days they sleep, some days they do their weekly shopping, some days they clean, etc. One parent I have gets off work at 1 and picks up at 4 everyday. She uses that time to get her errands done since she goes in to work so early. Either way I get paid so I have learned to not let it bug me.

If you want that day off you need to put it in your contract and provide ample notice. Otherwise your parents will be upset. In the future if you know all your families need limited care on a particular day (or are not working) you could ask them in advance if you could have the day off. Then offer either to have it unpaid or paid depending on your policies.
ninosqueridos 02:08 PM 02-15-2011
What did you put in your contract? If you don't have a contract with your days listed, then you're sol on this one. You can't just up and close if you hadn't already informed them regardless of whether they would like to stay home and sleep all day and leave their kids with you.
Tags:days off
Reply Up