Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Desperate For Advice ....
Unregistered 01:00 PM 10-20-2012
I am a member here, but I am so ashamed of this situation I'd rather be anonymous to seek opinions.

We rent our house, and I've been doing DC for almost 4 years now at home. Our landlord has always been an ass, but we never knew how much of an ass until we woke up this morning to signs on our lawn saying that our house will be demolished along with our neighbours house that is also owned by the same landlord. We were never informed until we saw the sign. I am a MESS. We are going to meet with a relator tomorrow and view a few houses, none of which are in my area. We just can't afford to buy in our area - it's way too expensive. I am in the middle of writing my DCF an email just letting them know about the sign before they see it Monday morning and freak out. Because of course, I would too! It looks like my damn house is condemened. That's NOT the case, it's just that normal houses are being torn down in the neighbourhood to put up massive million dollar houses. I am not too surprised our landlord is doing this, but NO NOTICE? Seriously!?!?! She is a B*tch!!!! I feel awful for my DCF, but I will keep them up to date all the way. I have been crying thinking about it all morning. I worry about my family and I have to do what is best for us first, but it doesn't change the guilt I feel about the possibility of closing down my daycare in this way. I hope I can move in the area and everything be ok, but for right now I just feel so sick to my stomach. I am SO afraid of sending this email. There is just NO way of going about this without being completely honest with them.

I just hope they don't get upset with me. I don't think with all the pressures I have right now that I could take it. My two grandmothers are very sick right now, one because of old age, the other cancer. We may be having two funerals before Christmas. I just can't take any more. How does life seem to constantly kick our ass sometimes?

Any advice, thoughts, prayers, anything would be welcomed right now....
I have no where else to go.
I can't tell my friends or family (other than my parents) I am so embarrassed and humiliated. I can't stop crying.
MamaBearCanada 03:40 PM 10-20-2012
What does your lease say? Have you talked to a lawyer?

Your parents shouldn't be upset at you it's not your fault.

If you get stuck would you consider or could you watch the kids at one of the parents' homes? I know this would not be ideal & might depend on whether you were licensed or went to a "nanny share" but I'm just trying to think of any options that might help you keep your families til you find somewhere else

Hugs!
Happy Hearts 04:02 PM 10-20-2012
That's a pretty crappy thing for your landlord not to give you notice and time to prepare yourself. I truly hope this is a blessing in disguise for your family and your daycare.

Prayers for your grandmas.
Childminder 04:12 PM 10-20-2012
I feel so bad for you! Can you call the local news station and bring some attention to the situation. Maybe some good samaritan will help you find a solution.
Lyss 05:11 PM 10-20-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a member here, but I am so ashamed of this situation I'd rather be anonymous to seek opinions.

We rent our house, and I've been doing DC for almost 4 years now at home. Our landlord has always been an ass, but we never knew how much of an ass until we woke up this morning to signs on our lawn saying that our house will be demolished along with our neighbours house that is also owned by the same landlord. We were never informed until we saw the sign. I am a MESS. We are going to meet with a relator tomorrow and view a few houses, none of which are in my area. We just can't afford to buy in our area - it's way too expensive. I am in the middle of writing my DCF an email just letting them know about the sign before they see it Monday morning and freak out. Because of course, I would too! It looks like my damn house is condemened. That's NOT the case, it's just that normal houses are being torn down in the neighbourhood to put up massive million dollar houses. I am not too surprised our landlord is doing this, but NO NOTICE? Seriously!?!?! She is a B*tch!!!! I feel awful for my DCF, but I will keep them up to date all the way. I have been crying thinking about it all morning. I worry about my family and I have to do what is best for us first, but it doesn't change the guilt I feel about the possibility of closing down my daycare in this way. I hope I can move in the area and everything be ok, but for right now I just feel so sick to my stomach. I am SO afraid of sending this email. There is just NO way of going about this without being completely honest with them.

I just hope they don't get upset with me. I don't think with all the pressures I have right now that I could take it. My two grandmothers are very sick right now, one because of old age, the other cancer. We may be having two funerals before Christmas. I just can't take any more. How does life seem to constantly kick our ass sometimes?

Any advice, thoughts, prayers, anything would be welcomed right now....
I have no where else to go.
I can't tell my friends or family (other than my parents) I am so embarrassed and humiliated. I can't stop crying.
I'm so sorry about this! Its terrible!!

Please check with your local housing authority and a lawyer! Have you actually heard anything from you landlord? or did he just put the sign up and leave? In our state they are REQUIRED to post notices on your door and also mail a copy to you if they do not personally delivery it to you. There are also laws on how much notice they have to give you to vacate based on how long you have lived there and what your lease says, your state may possibly have these laws as well.
Kaddidle Care 06:10 PM 10-20-2012
I'm not a fan of lawsuits but in this case - Lawyer up!

You have to be evicted first. It sounds like they are just trying to put a stop to your daycare.
Live and Learn 06:12 PM 10-20-2012
That is terrible. What a horrible land lord. I'm so sorry. Good luck.
LittleD 06:42 PM 10-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I'm not a fan of lawsuits but in this case - Lawyer up!

You have to be evicted first. It sounds like they are just trying to put a stop to your daycare.
I'm in Canada and we have a Landlord tenant board, that tells us our rights and responsibilities. Where I live, my landlord has to give me 60 days WRITTEN notice to have us move. And if I don't agree with the eviction, I can appeal to the board.

It doesn't say where you live but there must be something you can do along the same lines. I'm not sure why your parents would think anything wrong, cant you take down the sign? Then seek legal counsel? As a tenant, no matter where you live, there should be some sort of rules the landlord has to follow.
Unregistered 01:55 PM 10-21-2012
I am the OP ...

First, I am in Canada. I read up on if this was even legal and to some extent it is, a landlord can evict a tenant for a few different reasons, one of them being that they want to demolish the house. I haven't gotten an eviction notice, just the sign on my lawn. My neighbour has been confronting our landlord and she said that the houses will probably be torn down in the spring (so I guess April/May) ... And I guess that means we would get our eviction notices 3 months before that. ... I really can't imagine staying any longer than that.

I emailed all my DCF last night and let them know what's going on. I am trying to find a solution. I will seriously be heartbroken if I can't continue to do DC with my current families. We met with our realtor today and went to look at a bunch of houses, one I love but it's too far for my DCF to stay with me I'm sure. I think I will just have to do what is best for my family though. I can't help anyone if I'm homeless.

Thanks for all your comments ladies...
Kaddidle Care 02:54 PM 10-21-2012
But the signs in the front yard can and will destroy your business. Do they really have to post the signs this far in advance?
dave4him 03:09 PM 10-21-2012
Sorry to hear that. Sounds just wrong, so very wrong.
jen 04:12 PM 10-21-2012
I don't really have any advice, but I just wanted to say that you have nothing to be ashamed of! Your landlord is a butt, but thats on her not you!

Hugs!
littlemissmuffet 06:25 AM 10-22-2012
Take the signs down. Keep looking for a new home - whatever the area, find what works for you and your family first... daycare families come and go. Chin up and keep moving forward. You will be ok. Prayers to your grannies!
Tags:lease, rent
Reply Up