Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Dough Ornament Recipe???
Crazy8 06:27 AM 12-19-2013
I did some searches and it seems there are so many different recipes out there but I don't have time to experiment so wondering if anyone has a tried and true favorite??? Would like to do some type of handprint ornament craft.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 12-19-2013
I'm too lazy at this time of the year so I usually just buy Crayola Air Dry Clay.

Super easy to mold and dries nicely. Paintable afterwards too

http://www.crayola.com/products/25lb...-clay-product/

originalkat 07:53 AM 12-19-2013
I just made hand print santa salt dough ornaments. They turned out great!
Here is the recipe I used:
2 c Flour
1 C Salt
1 C luke warm water
Bake in a warm to 200 degree oven until hard.
I mixed with my hands to form a soft dough. If it is too sticky just add a bit more flour. Also, a trick I found... if the kids hands are sticking to the dough I spray a little cooking spray onto their hand and rub it in. Then their hands made a nice print with no sticking.
mema 07:55 AM 12-19-2013
I used plaster of paris this year. Never again. I ended up just making the molds and after they were dry, painting their hand/foot and putting that on. When I tried to do their imprint, it was either too soft and not ready or too hard. The timing needs to be just right and obviously kids don't just have a 30 second window. I was looking for something that dried fast, without baking, I guess I didn't mean almost instantly.
JoseyJo 08:15 AM 12-19-2013
We made cinnamon applesauce ornaments this year. Totally the easiest we have ever done. Equal parts cinnamon and apple sauce, mix until forms a dough/clay. Add more cinnamon if too sticky. We were able to mold it, roll and cookie cutter it, etc with no problems and it dried in the oven on 150 F in less than a day. I would suggest putting it on release foil when drying as I had a little trouble getting them off the pan. I turned them over when the tops were totally dry and put back in until they were hard throughout.
littlemissmuffet 08:39 AM 12-19-2013
I always use 2 C flour, 1 C COARSE salt and 1 C water. I find the coarse salt holds up better and makes a stronger dough. Mix thoroughly, let set in fridge for an hour or so before I roll it out and cut shapes, press handprints. I bake in the oven @ 200-250° F for 2-4 hours depending on thickness. Always turn out awesome!
melilley 10:19 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I just made hand print santa salt dough ornaments. They turned out great!
Here is the recipe I used:
2 c Flour
1 C Salt
1 C luke warm water
Bake in a warm to 200 degree oven until hard.
I mixed with my hands to form a soft dough. If it is too sticky just add a bit more flour. Also, a trick I found... if the kids hands are sticking to the dough I spray a little cooking spray onto their hand and rub it in. Then their hands made a nice print with no sticking.
This is what I did and they turned out cute. I also took a pic of them in a santa hat and cut their bodies out and punched a hole in the top of the pic and I threaded a ribbon through the ornament and the pic. so the pic is hanging with the ornament.
wonderfullisa 07:35 PM 12-20-2013
http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Easy-Craft-Clay.html

I've used this the last two years. Cover in ModgePodge and it stays pretty and white.
Reply Up