Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>He Learned 3 New Words!
permanentvacation 03:38 PM 02-26-2015
I'm so excited!!! It's taken a bit of work, but I finally got my 18 month old to learn 3 new words in the past couple of weeks. He now says 'cup', beep-beep, and 'diaper'! He mainly just babbles. The only words he's said so far are, 'Ma, Mommy, Da-da, bye, cat, and dog'. I know every child advances at their own pace, but I am used to children his age saying more words. I have been working HARD at teaching him the three new words. A couple of days ago, he said, 'beep-beep'. Yesterday, he said, 'cup', and today he finally said, 'diaper'. I was so excited when he said, 'diaper', that I all but threw a party!!
permanentvacation 03:43 PM 02-26-2015
Oh, I forgot, he also already said the word, 'hi'.
Luvnmykidz 05:31 PM 02-26-2015
That is really good. I have an 19 month old that is very limited with speech. He typically whines for everything. He came to me from a good center in my area and I was shocked that he didn't even have 1 word. He now says ma-ma and pretty much babbles with everything else. Keep up the good work.
permanentvacation 05:56 PM 02-26-2015
Thank you. Yeah, yours should be saying much more. However, like I said, I do know that they all develop at their own pace. I've had a child that wouldn't say much of anything at all until he was 3. Then, out of nowhere, he was saying complete sentences and had an extensive vocabulary! He was just holding it all in until he felt like talking.

My little boy's mother is college educated, seems very involved with his life, talks to him, jokes around with him, takes him on outings with her, and overall seems like a great mom. I don't quite know why he doesn't speak more. Other than she's a first time mother and maybe doesn't know that he should be able to say more words. So, she might just talk to him regularly and not focus on repeating one word often to get him to understand he should repeat that one word and actually begin using that word on his own.

His mother was very excited tonight when I told her about him learning his new words. She is a very nice person. I absolutely love having her as a daycare parent.
Controlled Chaos 10:01 PM 02-26-2015

Reply Up