Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents... Why Would You Send Your Child in White? lol
MrsCoffee 04:24 AM 08-19-2010
This isn't the first time this dcg has come in white clothes, it clearly states in my contract that your child will be playing and not to send them in clothes you mind getting dirty... lol

I just shake my head at this, I have brought it up and gently reminded the parent that the chil will be playing outside...
oh well.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:44 AM 08-19-2010
I gave up worrying about that a long time ago,.. they know we play and the dirtier we get is directly related to how much art , fun and creative expression we do every day. It usually takes 2 -3 outfits with stains on them before they realize,.. wow,.. they DO get to have fun at Jills. And send them in play clothes.
Lianne 06:27 AM 08-19-2010
One parent sends her kid in white t-shirts on purpose. They go with all the child's shorts/pants and she soaks them to get the stains out. They usually brighten right up but if they don't, they're just cheap t-shirts for daycare so it's not a big deal.
tenderhearts 07:41 AM 08-19-2010
I had one parent that use to get irritated when her son had dirt or grass stains on his clothes even though I gave several reminders to parents about wearing or bringing clothes they could get dirty in. All my parents now think the dirtier their child the more fun they had . I don't sorry about it either anymore they are told so it's their fault if they bring them in "good" clothes.
MarinaVanessa 09:59 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I don't sorry about it either anymore they are told so it's their fault if they bring them in "good" clothes.
Agreed. I even post it in my handbook so that I don't have to repeat myself over and over. Most of the families I have had get it and don't give me trouble but for the ones that do ... I just refer them back to the policies.

From my handbook:
" ..... New clothes are not necessary and suggested against. We will do our best to prevent your child from getting dirty but in the case that your child’s clothing become soiled or damaged, the childcare provider will not be held responsible."
DCMom 12:30 PM 08-19-2010
I don't worry about it anymore, they'll figure it out if they really are upset by it. I figure the dirtier a kid is by the end of the day the more fun they have! I have one family that brings a change of clothes each day so they can change if they are 'too' dirty.

My dh and I had a good laugh the other day. A little background~ I buy the dc kids t-shirts from where ever we end up going on vacation each year. Vegas, Florida, Mexico, Colorado, whatever. Just the cheap 3/$10 touristy ones, a token thing and it's fun for the kids. Last week, every kid, every day came in a t-shirt that I given them at some point. My dh said that's why they don't care...I paid for the shirts! LOL~ maybe!
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:44 PM 08-19-2010
Ugh, we have a family that sends their daughter in good clothes and then tells her not to get dirty because they have x to do after daycare. Then they also tell us to try to keep her clean. If she's not clean when they come to pick her up, they would get mad. Um...it's in the policy...I repeat it every time I send home letters with reminders or anything...what part of "bring her in play clothes; we will get dirty" do parents not understand? We do our best to "keep her clean", but if it comes between her staying clean and everyone going outside to play, we will be going outside. The poor little girl is so focused on staying clean that she can't have fun! She sits in a swing and tries to keep her feet off the ground pretty much the whole outdoor time. She was only three years old during most of this!
Childminder 05:48 AM 08-20-2010
I really don't care, I'm not doing their laundry.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:18 AM 08-20-2010
I would tell them at drop off,... do you have play clothes in a bag for her? You can get her changed in the bathroom before you leave Because we are fingerpainting today. (or baking brownies, or working with sculptures, anything messy. ) and she will be dirty when you pick her up.

Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Ugh, we have a family that sends their daughter in good clothes and then tells her not to get dirty because they have x to do after daycare. Then they also tell us to try to keep her clean. If she's not clean when they come to pick her up, they would get mad. Um...it's in the policy...I repeat it every time I send home letters with reminders or anything...what part of "bring her in play clothes; we will get dirty" do parents not understand? We do our best to "keep her clean", but if it comes between her staying clean and everyone going outside to play, we will be going outside. The poor little girl is so focused on staying clean that she can't have fun! She sits in a swing and tries to keep her feet off the ground pretty much the whole outdoor time. She was only three years old during most of this!

katie 05:59 PM 08-20-2010
Almost laughed out loud this morning after I read this last night. Dcg showed up today entirely in white, new fancy skirt and ruffled shirt. When dad picked up this afternoon happy to report it was still clean! Smocks smocks! lol
QualiTcare 08:30 PM 08-20-2010
i'm a parent that did send my kids to daycare and still does send them to school in white clothes and expensive clothes. do i know they'll get dirty? YES. do i know how to do laundry and use bleach? YES.

my theory was - they are 1,2, 3 years old. what's the point in them having all these nice clothes if they don't wear them? they were at daycare and are at school most of the day. both of my kids have white ralph lauren button ups - long sleeved, short sleeved, no sleeves - my daughter has white children's place pants that were not cheap. i don't want them to stay in their closets until they no longer fit.

i care about how my kids look. probably because my mom didn't care and i always HATED my clothes. i buy them nice clothes, i iron them, and i know that they're going to get dirty and COULD be ruined - but i'm willing to risk it.

if a parent complains though (and i've had parents complain to me about their kid's clothes) i'd tell them what you're saying. my point is - some parents may know they'll get dirty and just not care.
QualiTcare 08:37 PM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
that's annoying. i've always taken a change of clothes if i had/have to go somewhere afterward. asking a kid to not get dirty is way too stressful for them. that's sad about the girl not playing out of fear of getting dirty. i've seen that happen before too. i'm sure my daughter's new teacher sees her playing in dirt with nice clothes and wonders why she wears them - but like i said, i fully expect them to get dirty. my daughter wore white jeans the other day and she told me "we're doing a race outside and they'll get dirty." i was like, "so... it doesn't matter. i can bleach them"

it's funny how people worry about stuff that doesn't matter and don't care about the things that really do.
MrsCoffee 04:08 AM 08-27-2010
Thanks for the replies ladies It's funny because I do have it in my handbook that they are to come dressed for the day and in play clothes. Yes we have smocks but we play outside and with water not to mention these children are learning to feed themselves!!

I have another Dcd that always brings his son in his pajamas, and the clothes in the bag are 80% new with tags on them. How intimidating is that for me? I cannot send home dirty clothes I have ALWAYS washed them. But I am not going to from here on out.

I am arranging a meeting with this family. Their child needs to come dressed for the day from here on out. It is in the handbook but because I have had him sense he was just an infant mostly what he wore was pajama like. Now he is 13 months and they expect me to dress him. -- The meeting is just routine biyearly check not going crazy over a baby in PJ's
melskids 05:29 AM 08-27-2010
i have one family who doesnt let their 6 yr old daughter get dirty. and she is the biggest tomboy there is...lol the father has a way of passively aggressively yelling at me through the child. " now J, you should know that you cannot play in the dirt like that, we've discussed this together before" all while looking at me....i completely ignore him, and pretend i dont even know whats going on. he knew, i warned them in the beginning that the kids would be getting pretty dirty and playing hard. i have friends who know them and they told me outside at home, she's not allowed off the sidewalk. so sad.
countrymom 05:55 AM 08-27-2010
I'm an awful mom because in my house we don't have play clothes, we only have good clothes, and i don't save anything for occasions. I just don't have the room for so many different things, and who wants to do so much laundry, the only thing I don't buy for my kids are white pants, there is not enought bleach in the world to help my kids, but i like to make sure my kids always look nice even when they are playing and dirty.
Tags:clothes
Reply Up