Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terrible sleepers and terrible players!
sahm2three 01:05 PM 08-16-2012
I have a group of just terrible sleepers. I am LUCKY if they all sleep 45 minutes. I try to run them ragged, but they HATE outside too! Constantly crying at the door to go in, and complaining because they are hot (it isn't hot here this week, feels like fall time), they are too tired, their legs hurt, their eyes hurt, blah blah blah. Indoors, they aren't much better. They all seem to not be able to play unless I constantly direct them. Sorry, you have eachother to play with, and gobs of toys, go play. They all love art time, because I am right there with them. Anything they can do to have me entertaining them. I am worn out this week. I just don't understand kids, even the young ones. Why can't they just play? And why do they all hate outside so much???
Heidi 01:11 PM 08-16-2012
I had to take the outdoor sofa out of my play-yard because while they run through the house, the second they got outside, they'd be hangin' on the couch.

Now I sit on the step on the other side of the gate while they play, or they'd be hanging on me.

Yes...and "go play" "go play" "go play".

This morning, 4yo brings food out of the playroom "for me", walking right past 3 yo in the same room. While I don't mind playing with them occasionally, I don't understand children who'd rather play with adults all the time than other kids (and that there are so many kids that expect that).

I remember telling my oldest years ago "that's why I gave you a brother...now go play!"
Hunni Bee 07:58 PM 08-16-2012
I agree with Heidi. "Go play" x infinity.

I have a tattle-tale bunch, so I'm saying that alot.

I personally wouldn't take them in when they start whining. They love outside, they just don't know it yet. They probably belong to parents who "don't want them to get dirty" or "don't want them to get hurt" or some form of outdoor deprivation. This generation of kids is so soft, it's sad.

They would either play or whine at the back door for an hour, if it were me (and it is me alot). It's their choice. Any complaints brought to me other than hurts, water or potty would be met with "i think you're okay, go play". I'd even bring the water and potty outside if possible.

Inside, I'd pare the toys down considerably for a bit. I've found that a lot of times, when my kids had trouble finding something to do, there were too many choices. Maybe interest boxes? All the firefighter/police/etc toys in one box, the baby doll toys in one box, random spoons, cups, bowls in a box etc. and rotate per kid or per two kids. I'd make my rounds in the room, but running up to me/calling me/hanging on me a million times would get "you were doing an awesome job playing - go do a little more", just like you do.

The napping thing - probably is also a result of their need for unlimited face time with you. Once my kids realize I'm not going to entertain them during nap, they go to sleep. I have had great luck with napping though - I get the odd bad napper here and there. I'd just get a loop going of neutral, boring face and "it's nap time - let's go to sleep" then back turned...I know you have babies though, so you have more to do at nap than return someone to their mat 20 times. But you have an assistant, right? I'd try it
Reply Up