Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Received Anonymous Gift...
dbslas 07:29 PM 11-15-2013
I had to come here and share this with you all! Yesterday, when I got home from work and checked the mail, there was a large priority mail envelope - the return address was my work, however definitely not my boss's handwriting (we have worked side-by-side for over 10 years now, and I know her like a sister) Inside was a card - the envelope was addressed as well -- the same way. When I opened the card, 2 Disneyland tickets fell out! The card said: "Just wanted you and (my son's name) to have a great time. Please enjoy these tickets. Thank you for taking good care of all the kids. You are greatly appreciated."

That was it. It is not signed. I called my boss immediately, already knowing it is not from her -- just not her style of doing things, and she would have just given them to me anyway. I brought it in to work and we tried to sleuth it, but nothing... and the couple of parents that saw it acted the same as always and very excited for me.

I am so touched and so extremely perplexed. Whoever did it has no idea how such an amazing gesture made me feel, especially in a job where we don't always feel appreciated.

Soooo confused and so happy!
Childminder 07:41 PM 11-15-2013
How cool!
Scout 08:31 PM 11-15-2013
Now, that was a nice story! Have a great time!
TwinKristi 08:38 PM 11-15-2013
Wow!! That's awesome!!
dbslas 09:00 PM 11-15-2013
I know!

We are trying to figure out when to go. Decided we will take the train, because my son loves them, even though we are only an hour away. Maybe stay 1 or 2 nights and enjoy. This is the coolest thing....
melilley 09:19 PM 11-15-2013
Oh wow, that's awesome!
It's so nice when you know you are appreciated!
Have fun!
Josiegirl 04:59 AM 11-16-2013
Well isn't that the coolest thing??!! I'm sure you deserve it, enjoy the fun!
jenn 10:00 AM 11-16-2013
That is awesome! Enjoy your trip!
sleepinghart 11:06 AM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
I had to come here and share this with you all! Yesterday, when I got home from work and checked the mail, there was a large priority mail envelope - the return address was my work, however definitely not my boss's handwriting (we have worked side-by-side for over 10 years now, and I know her like a sister) Inside was a card - the envelope was addressed as well -- the same way. When I opened the card, 2 Disneyland tickets fell out! The card said: "Just wanted you and (my son's name) to have a great time. Please enjoy these tickets. Thank you for taking good care of all the kids. You are greatly appreciated."

That was it. It is not signed. I called my boss immediately, already knowing it is not from her -- just not her style of doing things, and she would have just given them to me anyway. I brought it in to work and we tried to sleuth it, but nothing... and the couple of parents that saw it acted the same as always and very excited for me.

I am so touched and so extremely perplexed. Whoever did it has no idea how such an amazing gesture made me feel, especially in a job where we don't always feel appreciated.

Soooo confused and so happy!

~First of all, congrats-- I hope y'all have a lovely & wonderful time & trip! ..Just hearing about it makes me so excited for you! ~I take it you work at a center? ~I'm also now very very curious as to who the sender was too & hope you can figure it out!!

(dbslas quote)"Inside was a card - the envelope was addressed as well -- the same way"(end quote)

~To me, it sounds like while they were busily putting the final touches on this well-thought out plan(mailing it that is- It is a card after all...Simple enough right-- Oh wait, no), they realized they needed more security in getting it to you and proof that it actually does(thus the priority envelope).

(dbslas quote)"I brought it in to work and we tried to sleuth it, but nothing"(end quote)

~Are there any dc parents/guardians at your work that you are, or always have been, more close to than the others.....Any that have always treated you nicer than the rest or always seem more appreciative in comparison? I know that it was definitely not your boss that sent you this(I totally agree that that seems rather unlikely), but are you absolutely sure that it is from a daycare parent and not someone else in your life like a family member, friend, etc.? ~I know the card said "thank you for taking good care of all the kids" which most definitely would lead one to a dcp, but I suppose it could still be from a friend, family member, etc. possibly- One who knows all the things you go out of your way to do, how hard you work & how much you love those children and has started to see that you are never shown the appreciation you deserve and takes issue with it maybe. What do you think?

~I was thinking that maybe the sender listed your work-place as the return address because they wanted to stay absolutely anonymous(so obviously they couldn't put their real actual return address but also could not risk leaving it blank just in case for some reason it could not be delivered to your address)-- And in that case, that it could not be delivered to your home address, it would then be forwarded 'back to sender', which in this case is your place of employment, and would result in being delivered to you anyway-- A good way to ensure that you receive this envelope in either case while still remaining anonymous(...Hey, I've done it).
momofsix 11:32 AM 11-16-2013
How awesome!
I too have received anonymous gifts. I think rather than playing sleuth to try to find out who it is-just assume it was everyone-treat everyone graciously and with the kindness you would the giver of the gift. It feels good to actually think GOOD of everyone and respond in that way
(Not saying your not nice to everyone already though!)
dbslas 04:45 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
~First of all, congrats-- I hope y'all have a lovely & wonderful time & trip! ..Just hearing about it makes me so excited for you! ~I take it you work at a center? ~I'm also now very very curious as to who the sender was too & hope you can figure it out!!

(dbslas quote)"Inside was a card - the envelope was addressed as well -- the same way"(end quote)

~To me, it sounds like while they were busily putting the final touches on this well-thought out plan(mailing it that is- It is a card after all...Simple enough right-- Oh wait, no), they realized they needed more security in getting it to you and proof that it actually does(thus the priority envelope).

(dbslas quote)"I brought it in to work and we tried to sleuth it, but nothing"(end quote)

~Are there any dc parents/guardians at your work that you are, or always have been, more close to than the others.....Any that have always treated you nicer than the rest or always seem more appreciative in comparison? I know that it was definitely not your boss that sent you this(I totally agree that that seems rather unlikely), but are you absolutely sure that it is from a daycare parent and not someone else in your life like a family member, friend, etc.? ~I know the card said "thank you for taking good care of all the kids" which most definitely would lead one to a dcp, but I suppose it could still be from a friend, family member, etc. possibly- One who knows all the things you go out of your way to do, how hard you work & how much you love those children and has started to see that you are never shown the appreciation you deserve and takes issue with it maybe. What do you think?

~I was thinking that maybe the sender listed your work-place as the return address because they wanted to stay absolutely anonymous(so obviously they couldn't put their real actual return address but also could not risk leaving it blank just in case for some reason it could not be delivered to your address)-- And in that case, that it could not be delivered to your home address, it would then be forwarded 'back to sender', which in this case is your place of employment, and would result in being delivered to you anyway-- A good way to ensure that you receive this envelope in either case while still remaining anonymous(...Hey, I've done it).
Grrrr...I had my reply typed out and I somehow deleted it. So let me try this again :

I loved reading your reply, trying to figure it all out too
I actually work in a home daycare. just me and my boss (10 years there).
I totally agree with you as to the reason it would have my employer as the return address just in case it somehow didn't get delivered, it wouldn't get lost forever. What I find interesting is that the writing on the actual card envelope and the priority envelope are different. One is print - the other is script.
I don't think any of my family/friends would do it. Not their style.
I am closer to one particular family. It definitely could be them. I don't know. And I am thinking now that as much as I would love to know, if I were to eventually deduce that it were them (or anyone else) they obviously didn't want me to know, so I would keep it to myself. Although, dangit! i wanna know
I am also curious as to why me, and not my boss (hope she isn't hurt/upset).
dbslas 04:48 PM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
How awesome!
I too have received anonymous gifts. I think rather than playing sleuth to try to find out who it is-just assume it was everyone-treat everyone graciously and with the kindness you would the giver of the gift. It feels good to actually think GOOD of everyone and respond in that way
(Not saying your not nice to everyone already though!)
That is an absolutely wonderful way to go about it. I definitely want to know, but I realize I am not meant to know. And that is perfectly okay.
Childminder 08:07 PM 11-16-2013
I once received a beautiful hand knit sweater in the mail and the only clue was my address was hand written. I proceeded to take my address book with me everywhere and have everyone write their own address in it then compared handwriting. Gotcha!
e.j. 08:29 PM 11-16-2013
That's so cool! You obviously touched someone's heart and they wanted to say thank you. What a nice way to do it! I hope you and your son enjoy your time at Disneyland.

I know how hard it can be not to know who it was, though. Someone left a bag of childrens' books near my mailbox a few months ago and I still don't know who to thank. I don't want to appear ungrateful. I hope they know I'd thank them if I knew who they were!
sleepinghart 06:49 AM 11-17-2013
Grrrr...I had my reply typed out and I somehow deleted it. So let me try this again :

I loved reading your reply, trying to figure it all out too
I actually work in a home daycare. just me and my boss (10 years there).
I totally agree with you as to the reason it would have my employer as the return address just in case it somehow didn't get delivered, it wouldn't get lost forever. What I find interesting is that the writing on the actual card envelope and the priority envelope are different. One is print - the other is script.
I don't think any of my family/friends would do it. Not their style.
I am closer to one particular family. It definitely could be them. I don't know. And I am thinking now that as much as I would love to know, if I were to eventually deduce that it were them (or anyone else) they obviously didn't want me to know, so I would keep it to myself. Although, dangit! i wanna know
I am also curious as to why me, and not my boss (hope she isn't hurt/upset).

(dbslas quote)"I loved reading your reply, trying to figure it all out too" (end quote)

~Thanks! I had fun writing it, and while reading your OP as well!

(dbslas quote)"What I find interesting is that the writing on the actual card envelope and the priority envelope are different. One is print - the other is script"(end quote)

~Hmm...Interesting! Does it still look like the same handwriting though?

(dbslas quote)"And I am thinking now that as much as I would love to know, if I were to eventually deduce that it were them (or anyone else) they obviously didn't want me to know, so I would keep it to myself. Although, dangit! i wanna know :lol:"(end quote)

~I agree! They went to great lengths to keep it anonymous so I wouldn't mention it either if I figured it out(..and I hope you do!!). However, like you, that also wouldn't stop my curiousity running wildly from my inside(privately of course), lol!

(dbslas quote) "I am also curious as to why me, and not my boss..."(end quote)

~Well, that seems simple enough to me-- You deserved it....And obviously did something, or are doing some things, right!

(dbslas quote)"..(hope she isn't hurt/upset)"(end quote)

~...Me either. Is she acting okay?

~Do you remember mentioning to anyone that you'd like to visit Disneyland lately maybe?
Michelle 09:21 PM 11-17-2013
Totally awesome!!
assuming you got a park hopper .. make sure you get there right when they open and get a fast pass for Radiator Springs in California Adventure.
You both will love it!!!

Take pictures and then post some on the bulletin board when you get back with the words "thank You" written with a gel pen.

Disneyland is beautiful this time of year.. have fun

MotherNature 05:32 AM 11-18-2013
How wonderful! Congrats! Have a great time.
dbslas 07:09 PM 11-19-2013
Well, the plot thickens! Yesterday my boss got a card with my return address and a $200 gift card with a similar message as mine. The handwriting was COMPLETELY different than the writing on my card. So bizarre and way cool. This is not a cheap thank you -- we're talking over $400 now between us.
dbslas 07:12 PM 11-19-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Totally awesome!!
assuming you got a park hopper .. make sure you get there right when they open and get a fast pass for Radiator Springs in California Adventure.
You both will love it!!!

Take pictures and then post some on the bulletin board when you get back with the words "thank You" written with a gel pen.

Disneyland is beautiful this time of year.. have fun
Definitely hitting Radiator Springs! My son is so excited about that. We will probably go up and stay for 2 days -- if I can swing it, I will upgrade the tickets to a 2 day to make the most out of it. Good idea about the bulletin board! I will do that!

Now me -- I get vertigo and terrible motion sickness. Can't even watch certain rides from the ground! Gonna try those wrist band things and hope it works. I don't want to be a party pooper for my kiddo!
sleepinghart 06:06 AM 11-20-2013
Well, the plot thickens! Yesterday my boss got a card with my return address and a $200 gift card with a similar message as mine. The handwriting was COMPLETELY different than the writing on my card. So bizarre and way cool. This is not a cheap thank you -- we're talking over $400 now between us.

~Hi dbslas! I'll reply as soon as I retrieve my jaw from the floor.
Tags:gift
Reply Up