Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filling An Already Full Spot...
finsup 11:40 AM 03-02-2015
How do you interview families when you don't have an opening? Basically, I want to replace a family but I'm not sure how to do this without going over ratio and still being decent to the family i'm potentially replacing and giving them some notice. Also, what do I say to the family interviewing? I don't want to say "well I'm full but I'm really sick of this one family and just don't want a gap in income" lol. Any tips?
jenboo 11:48 AM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
How do you interview families when you don't have an opening? Basically, I want to replace a family but I'm not sure how to do this without going over ratio and still being decent to the family i'm potentially replacing and giving them some notice. Also, what do I say to the family interviewing? I don't want to say "well I'm full but I'm really sick of this one family and just don't want a gap in income" lol. Any tips?
I tell them I have an upcoming opening in two weeks (or whatever your notice period is). That's all I say. I've done it before.
laundrymom 11:49 AM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I interview for positions available two weeks from interview date. If new family rocks, I get a deposit and the current family gets a termination.
Controlled Chaos 01:23 PM 03-02-2015
Yep, what the other lovely ladies have said. I even advertise sometimes for "spot opening up in April!" Current families assume someone is moving, or leaving or whatever and I don't have to worry about someone wanting to start immediately. Don't give details to interviewing family. Keep it simple and professional "I have a spot opening up in two weeks, and I expect it fill quickly, so if you are interested I will need a deposit by XXX day. " I give current families 30 days when possible, but 2 weeks is in my contract. Hope you find a new great family!
earlystart 11:40 AM 03-03-2015
as far as not going over ratio, I don't believe the child visiting would count towards your ratio if their parents were there, because the child is not in your care. If you're paranoid about that, then do the interview after hours or on a weekend, that's what I do.
finsup 01:39 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by earlystart:
as far as not going over ratio, I don't believe the child visiting would count towards your ratio if their parents were there, because the child is not in your care. If you're paranoid about that, then do the interview after hours or on a weekend, that's what I do.
Oh! I meant like if a family wanted to start right away and I wanted to still give the other family a 2 week notice. That would put me over for 2 weeks (wouldn't do that though). But yeah, interviews here are always after hours

Although...looks like I may be sticking it out for a while instead. Not sure how many people are going to want to sign on with a provider who's pregnant and will be taking time off for appointments, the birth and the two weeks I had already planned for vacations. That may be asking too much from a new family
Tags:filling spots
Reply Up