Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cancer Question
B Lou 07:11 AM 02-06-2014
Morning. This is not daycare related but need answers.

I have a 20 year old son who is going to the doctors tomorrow to be tested for testicular cancer.

What can anyone tell me about it?

Thank you in advance.
lovemykidstoo 07:15 AM 02-06-2014
I don't know anything about it, but I hope that your sons test is negative. Thoughts and prayers your way.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 02-06-2014
Will keep you guys in my thoughts.

You may want to try webmd.com , American Cancer Society or patientslikeme.com they have forums where people with cancer support and educate one another like they do here.
VTMom 08:31 AM 02-06-2014
Although I don't have details about my friend's husband's treatment or severity, I do know that they have a beautiful toddler without medical intervention after being told he would not be able to have children. He was diagnosed in his twenties a month after they were married. It's now been over 7 years and no cancer in sight.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
blandino 12:10 PM 02-06-2014
As a young adult cancer survivor, I can tell you to stay off the internet. It is the worst things you can do, and will take your mind into all sorts of scenarios that are unnecessary and worrisome. Especially if a diagnosis isn't confirmed yet, and it is only a test.

I have a very good friend who believed he had testicular cancer, only for the biopsy to come back fine. So there really isn't any reason to worry until/if the biopsy comes back positive. And more times than not, biopsies come back fine.

And in the worst case scenario, testicular cancer is a relatively easily treatable cancer. I believe the absolute WORST outcome is being sterile from radiation. So in the scheme of cancers, it is chemo free and usually involves either the removal of one testicle or radiation. It is really one of the easier to treat diagnoses.
Sunchimes 12:14 PM 02-06-2014
My husband had testicular cancer in 1991. His was the seminoma form. In the words of his urologist, "If you are going to have cancer, this is the one to have, we can cure it." I believe the non-seminoma form is a little worse. My husband was in his mid-40's when he was diagnosed. He had surgery to remove one testicle and 16 radiation treatments, once a day every weekday for 3 weeks plus one to grow on. He's fine. Keeping your son in my prayers.
e.j. 12:18 PM 02-06-2014
I think if it's caught early, it's one of the more easily cured cancers. One of my brothers had it when he was in his 20's. He had surgery, recovered quickly and 29 years later, has had no health problems as a result. He also has 3 kids - 2 conceived after the surgery.

Stay strong. I have a 23 year old ds. I can't imagine what you must be
going through right now.
Scout 05:45 PM 02-06-2014
Testicular cancer is one of the easier ones to cure. Over 10 years ago my cousin had it at age 28. He had one removed along woth lymph nodes, chemo, maybe radiation( can not rmemeber) and is completely fine today!! Please just take a deep breath and talk to him about hos concerns if he will open up to you. Also, my cousin was told he would most likely not have children due to the chemo regimen.....his son is 5!! Cancer does not have to be all doom and gloom. My mom's oncologist said that my mom's attitude was the reason she responded so well to he treatment. A positive attitude will help a lot. Obviously, I hope it is not cancer but, if it is take the time to do research on the positive aspects that people get out of a cancer diagnosos. When my mom was going thru this I got us both a free book from her treatment center called "Finding the can in cancer" and anyone going through this terrible disease, either directly or indorectly should pick it up and read it. It helped me a lot to realize my mom could beat herStage 3 lung diagnosis and she did thus far! 3 years no evidence of disease. Sje went from a 5% chance of survival to a less than 5% chance that it will recurr when she hit this last year free. I am prayong for you, I know how scared you must feel. PM me if you want. Sorry for the typos, on my phone.
Tags:cancer, depression, therapist
Reply Up